Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
For those of you who have been using the 6+ or 6S+. Have the benefits of the larger screen been worth the bulk? If you're going to upgrade to a 7 are you going to stick with the large screen or downsize? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Depends on the price difference. Based on the leaks I don't see the 7+ being only $100 more. If it is, I'm going 7+ this go around. Way better value.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I've had the 6 and 6s+. I'll say I'm going back to the 4.7 iPhone 7. Imo, 6s+ was too tall and heavy when slap on a case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers94

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
I pre-ordered the 6 and love it but I do regret not going for the 6+. This time around I am going to pre-order the 7+

Sim. to my NOLA neighbor above, I pre-ordered a 6 but also a 6+. I gave the 6 to my son, really like the + size so I'll be pre-ordering a 7+ as the larger size works for my old, tired eyes.

Reactions: kybldmstr

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Depends on how much better the camera is on the +. If all things were equal I'd go with the 7. Love the feel of the 4.7 inch. However, if rumors are correct the camera on the + will be hard to pass up.

EDIT: This coming from someone who owns a 6s Plus. Granted I like the large screen but I miss the portability and one handed use of the 4.7 inch when I'm out and about. When I pick up someone with the 6 it just feels right. If I want to Consume media with larger screen that's when my ipad comes in.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Depends on the price difference. Based on the leaks I don't see the 7+ being only $100 more. If it is, I'm going 7+ this go around. Way better value.

Do you buy an unlocked iPhone for full price up front? If not, I would think skipping a couple coffees a month to afford a better iPhone on your monthly bill would be worth it.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I had a 6 Plus and now have a 6S Plus. I had been waiting a long time for Apple to offer larger phones and I don't regret my choices at all. I will definitely be getting the 7 Plus.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I've had the 6 and 6s+. I'll say I'm going back the the 4.7 iPhone 7. Imo, 6s+ was too tall and heavy when slap on a case.

Agreed, until Apple gets rid of those ridiculous top and bottom bezels I think I'll be going with the 4.7 inch 7. Unless of course the 7+ camera is DSLR quality which I doubt.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I had the 6, regretted not getting the plus version so got the 6s+ on launch day instead of waiting for my contract to end. I'll be getting the 7+, minimum of 64gb and in rose gold this time.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I bought the 6 Plus and the 6s Plus and have been using a 6 for a few weeks until the 7 plus comes out. I dearly miss my plus. Using a phone this small is hard after having the plus for 2 years.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
It's certainly not for everyone but in my opinion the bigger phone is worth it. I just feel a lot more productive with it, typing isn't a chore, videos look great, it just works better as a media consumption device - which is what a phone is these days.

Anyone on the fence, if you are buying the phone outright then go for the plus and return after 14 days if you're not convinced.

swedegirl

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2015
I am down sizing to a 7. Had the regular 6, now have a 6splus and the screen is great BUT it is much heavier and hard to fit in small purses and pockets. Not to mention that I cannot operated it at all w/o using two hands.

Reactions: elpibe10

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
For those of you who have been using the 6+ or 6S+. Have the benefits of the larger screen been worth the bulk? If you're going to upgrade to a 7 are you going to stick with the large screen or downsize? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!
I used both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus daily in the first two weeks it came out. Decided I liked the 6 Plus and 2 years on don't regret it at all. You get used to the size very quickly and it doesn't seem as big after only a couple of weeks use. People with the smaller version tend to think it can be too big to put in the pocket but I've never had any issues at all, only when I've worn tight fit jeans has it required a bit more effort to get out.

Personally, I would always go with the Plus version in future purchases without doubt.

Reactions: Agile55

AlexSykes

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
East Midlands, UK
I went from a iPhone 6, then to another 6S. I had a 6 Plus for a few weeks when I was waiting for the 6S but it was a silver one and I think it looked quite dull and was rather sluggish at times, but having seen the black fascia on the plus and the rumours of these new finishes on the 7 and the A10 processor I think I'll take the jump up to the 7 Plus this year. I've grown used to the size of the 6S now and from carrying a dummy of the iPhone 7 Plus it actually doesn't seem like it'd be any issue, and I'd welcome a larger battery and screen.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I'm going plus again. I LOVE my big phone!

Whenever I have to do something on hubby's phone it just seems sooooooo little!

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013

Thanks!
I'm downsizing from the 6+ to the 7. I've used my wife's 6 and I will definitely miss the bigger screen, but I want something that is more portable. Whenever I climb stairs, sit in my car, or go hiking I have to take my phone out of my pocket. I'm hoping Apple releases a 5.1" screen in the future with small bezels, but in the mean time, I think the 4.7" phone makes more sense for me as I'm trying to be more active.

I'm super bummed about all the rumors that say how much better the Plus will be (mainly dual cameras and 3gb of ram), but I just cant stand not being able to lift my knee without feeling like I'm going to break my phone.

I don't understand how people say it is too heavy or too big to use one handed. It weighs less than a banana, and the difference in weight between the 6 and the 6+ is about the weight of an audio cassette. I'm sure some people are weaker than others though. It is awkward to use one handed, but I find even the iPhone 4 awkward to use one handed. If I only had one arm I would probably get a smaller phone, but I type very quickly with two thumbs on my phone and I find the 4.7" screen harder to type on with two thumbs.

In my hand, I absolutely prefer the Plus. In my pocket, I prefer the 4.7".

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Depends on how much better the camera is on the +. If all things were equal I'd go with the 7. Love the feel of the 4.7 inch. However, if rumors are correct the camera on the + will be hard to pass up.

EDIT: This coming from someone who owns a 6s Plus. Granted I like the large screen but I miss the portability and one handed use of the 4.7 inch when I'm out and about. When I pick up someone with the 6 it just feels right. If I want to Consume media with larger screen that's when my ipad comes in.

See I'm still not sure if I want to follow this model. I hate carrying around and keeping two devices charged. I kind of want one device to rule them all. The plus does this best but is definitely heavy and not pocket friendly. Also one handed use is of course lacking.

I went back and forth so many times between the 6 and 6+. Ended up getting the smaller 6S once it was released.

Sounds like all things point to the iPhone 7. Not so fast! I'm a heavy user and really need plus size battery life and I consume a lot of media on my phone. Plus FTW? Ugh. Idk

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I consume a lot of media on the phone, so I have gone with the 6+ and 6S+. Because the 7+ is not that big an increment over my current 6S+, I am planning to sit this one out, but I will definitely upgrade to a + model in the future when Apple convinces me to buy a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.