Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
...the change in materials has made the new models both slightly thicker and noticeably heavier than what came before:

The big change is weight with the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus over 7% heavier than the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus respectively and a hefty 15.6% and 17.5% heavier than the original incarnation of their design in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...one-8-plus-whats-the-difference/#1a36635c2b53

Brick in your pocket, anyone?

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
...the change in materials has made the new models both slightly thicker and noticeably heavier than what came before:

The big change is weight with the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus over 7% heavier than the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus respectively and a hefty 15.6% and 17.5% heavier than the original incarnation of their design in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...one-8-plus-whats-the-difference/#1a36635c2b53

Seriously dudette?! My 8 plus is a total of 14 grams heavier than the 7 plus and 0.2mm thicker. That's how much an empty soft drink can weighs!

swedegirl

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2015
I think your concern is valid.... I made the same comment when the plus was released and people gave me crap here.... but ultimately it actually was an issue and I ended up getting a “regular size” the following year. I am a heavy phone user and the extra weight actually does matter to me....

Reactions: kazmac

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014

I have a 6 right now which is the lighter than both the 6S and 7 so this was a concern for me but i decided to bite the bullet and upgrade since my 6 is on it's last legs. The X is much heavier which is part of the reason i didn't order it(besides price, faceid and and larger footprint)

Reactions: janeauburn

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I think your concern is valid.... I made the same comment when the plus was released and people gave me crap here.... but ultimately it actually was an issue and I ended up getting a “regular size” the following year. I am a heavy phone user and the extra weight actually does matter to me....
I went though this with my wife with previous iPhones and I did a blind test with her putting the different phones in her hands to see if she could tell the difference, and half the time she thought the lighter one was the heavier one. I would be willing to bet you couldn't tell the difference with your eyes closed.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

I'm also sensitive to these things, and while it doesn't bother me much, the difference in weight between the 6 and 6S even though they were only a few grams. The difference between them and the 8 (glass) is going to be over 13 or 14 grams. Huge difference. The 8+ is probably going to be a brick. This is also going to be true of the X of course.

Edit: 6 was 129 grams, 6S was 141 grams. For those who notice the weight, they will definitely notice it between the 7 and 8. If bothersome, consider in person first before buying.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Seriously dudette?! My 8 plus is a total of 14 grams heavier than the 7 plus and 0.2mm thicker. That's how much an empty soft drink can weighs!

The 7 plus was already one of the heaviest phones on the market. I think the iPhone 8+ might be the heaviest major release phone on the market currently. It's massive. Even the Note 8 is lighter (with nearly an inch larger screen). It might not be a big difference from the 7+, but it is a heavy phone, no doubt.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
iPhone 12 in case:

12.jpg

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
And tiresome to hold/carry.

People make "light" of the weight, but it ain't no joke to carry or to hold. Apple made a big deal of how "thin and light" the original iPhone 6 was. Notice that they don't mention these things anymore. ;)

Agreed. Also almost anytime someone mention weight some bro makes a cliche comment that you don't lift or something nonsensical.

I do think Apple will eventually market a lighter phone when the tech allows for it. Marketing jumps all over but the idea of a thin phone has been around for a long time and I can't see that marketing angle being dead. I do think they got to a point where they couldn't go any thinner without obvious sacrifice in specs and started marketing for bigger specs.

Part of me thinks there will be an eventual follow up to the X thats going to be very sleek and light.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
if you’re concerned about weight and size, the Plus is not the one to get. It’s a huge thing. Too bad they skimped on RAM with the 8...

Reactions: DaveOP

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Part of me thinks there will be an eventual follow up to the X thats going to be very sleek and light.

Needed.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/ipho...lease-date-price-features-specs-2017-3500611/

According to the Tekz24 report (on which the FocusTiawan report was based), the new will offer an A10 chip (as seen in the iPhone 7), 2GB RAM, a 12MP camera, 5MP FaceTime camera, and 32GB or 128GB storage options.

The battery will also have a slightly raised rating from 1640mAh to 1700mAh.

The big news is that the new iPhone SE will have a screen measuring 4.2in rather than the current 4in. This will apparently be made possible by reducing the size of the bezels, although it appears that unlike the iPhone 8, which is rumoured to have a screen that stretches to the base of the phone - and thus no Home Button (read our iPhone 8 rumours here) - the current design incorporating the Home Button, will remain on the iPhone SE 2.

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
I was handling the 8 and 8+ in store and i did notice the extra weight over the 7 Plus with a case on. But not enough to say "omg its too heavy"

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I was handling the 8 and 8+ in store and i did notice the extra weight over the 7 Plus with a case on. But not enough to say "omg its too heavy"

The extra weight was the first thing I noticed about the 6S Plus (over the 6 Plus).

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Needed.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/ipho...lease-date-price-features-specs-2017-3500611/

According to the Tekz24 report (on which the FocusTiawan report was based), the new will offer an A10 chip (as seen in the iPhone 7), 2GB RAM, a 12MP camera, 5MP FaceTime camera, and 32GB or 128GB storage options.

The battery will also have a slightly raised rating from 1640mAh to 1700mAh.

The big news is that the new iPhone SE will have a screen measuring 4.2in rather than the current 4in. This will apparently be made possible by reducing the size of the bezels, although it appears that unlike the iPhone 8, which is rumoured to have a screen that stretches to the base of the phone - and thus no Home Button (read our iPhone 8 rumours here) - the current design incorporating the Home Button, will remain on the iPhone SE 2.

I find this interesting "Analyst Pan Juitang has also suggested that there won't be a new iPhone SE. He wrote in July that Apple wouldn’t be updating the 4-inch handset ever. Claiming that there isn't enough demand for smaller devices as many consumers opt for larger displays for watching movies, playing games and browsing the web, and that the vast majority are accustomed to 5in (or bigger!) displays. "

I call BS. If they could get an edge to edge OLED display on something the size of the SE with a new design it would sell well I think. All of Apple's tech and marketing is poured into the big phones. If the SE got top tech as well it would be a hot seller.
[doublepost=1506098959][/doublepost]
I thought I would be fine with the 7+, but I am not. Seriously debating if I should just trade in next week for something smaller (depends on my vision and overall comfort in hand.)

My issue with the plus is the feeling of it in my pants pockets(if i had baggy Fred Durst jeans circa '99 might not be a problem). Also I don't want to use a giant phone in public. If I want to glance at my phone standing in line for coffee i don't want to something that big(Just a personal thing i have with mobile devices today and how everyone in public just stares at them).

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Well, it was rather embarrassing this morning showing up at the Apple store with my hand truck.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014

iphone 7 plus is heavy as *** but over 200g? i won't buy a phone this heavy EVER.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I love it when people make posts like this without having actually even held the phone. I am holding my 7+ in one hand and the 8+ in my other hand and cannot even tell a difference. Relax.
Same hyperbolic take on minuscule weight/size differences has been made basically by the same people for a few years now with different models. It's one of those yearly "shoot the breeze" type of things it would seem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.