Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zuma022

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
I just ordered the 135L. I was debating about the 85 too, but I shoot a fair bit of indoor sports of kids and stuff, so the extra reach was the selling point for me. I've rented it a few times and absolutely loved it. It's a stunning lens.
I also rented the 70-200 f2.8IS. The zoom is no doubt very convenient, but it comes at a price. The lens is just plain too heavy for me and I know I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. I'm also not a fan of the white lenses, they just draw too much attention. If you use a 400mm it doesn't really matter, but I think the 70-200 would be better off black, in my opinion anyway.

I've also rented the 85 f1.8 (f1.2 is out of my price range too), I like it, but the 135L beats it hands down.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I've got a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 and a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 as well as a Nikon 85 f/1.8.

The 85 f/1.8 is a great lens, but the other two zooms are so vastly superior that I haven't used the 85 since I picked them up a couple of weeks ago. The larger aperture is nice sometimes, but f/2.8 paired with the high ISO performance of a Full Frame camera and the decrease in DOF that Full Frame brings makes it so I haven't felt the need to mount the 85.

I'm selling it for cheap now, used 4 times and I'll end up selling it for $75 off the new price.

If only you shot Nikon, I could give you a deal on a pristine condition 85 mm lens.

SLC

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
"The 100mm L looks great and conveniently sits in between the other lenses but I can't get it second hand."

Be VERY careful buying L glass second hand....it holds it's value so well, sometimes it's better to spend the extra 15-20% and buy new...just MHO;)

In your shoes, I would go with the 135....continue to add to your collection of glass with primes, you won't be dissappointed. The 50L 85L and 135L are the Holy Trinity in the Canon Prime lineup, IMO. Others have mentioned TC for reach if needed.

It is tough though, to not recommend the 70-200 2.8. It is easily my MOST used lens all summer. I also love my 24-105, but your 24-70 has that range covered. Primes are phenomenal and the pinnacle of IQ...the pinnacle of flexibility though...the Zooms;)

Take care and Good Luck

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.