Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I heard Paul McCartney was dead and the Abbey Road album cover proves it.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
I made this photo the day the invite was announced.

apple_special_event_invitation__september_9__2014_by_icore24-d7x2ddh.png

aevelasquez

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Miami, FL
What OP and iCore24 mean to imply is this:

The figure above is obviously the Apple logo. Though it has a slight abstract to it, which upon closer inspection looks like the perspective shadow akin to what we see on sundials, or, as Apple would call it, 'the watch that started it all' if you will. (see image below)

Upon even further inspection we notice that the perspective shadow cast by the proverbial sun in the figure is the reading equivalent to 10 o'clock AM (as seen in iCore24's photo.

All this is to say, not only that the event will take place at 10 AM, but also that time is a central theme to the event. Hence the claim that the iWatch will be a centerpiece of the event, among other things.

Attachments

• close-up-old-sundial-shadow-8333823-1.jpg
    close-up-old-sundial-shadow-8333823-1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 251

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What OP and iCore24 mean to imply is this:

The figure above is obviously the Apple logo. Though it has a slight abstract to it, which upon closer inspection looks like the perspective shadow akin to what we see on sundials, or, as Apple would call it, 'the watch that started it all' if you will. (see image below)

Upon even further inspection we notice that the perspective shadow cast by the proverbial sun in the figure is the reading equivalent to 10 o'clock AM (as seen in iCore24's photo.

All this is to say, not only that the event will take place at 10 AM, but also that time is a central theme to the event. Hence the claim that the iWatch will be a centerpiece of the event, among other things.
How does that shadow imply 10 AM?

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Well here's my understanding.

The date is 9.9.2014

9+9 = 18
18-20 = -2
-2+14 = 12

Or

9-9 = 0
0-2 = -2
-2-0 = -2
-2+14 = 12

12 hours on an analog clock face.

Therefore, it definitely must be the iWatch announcement!

Who likes? lol

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Look at the image iCore24 put up. That's how sundials work.

I guess there are various different types and styles of sundials with different positioning and locations where something like that can translate to 10 AM.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I see two large breasts = Two large iPhones

Symbolism decoded right there! :cool:

ok now I cannot un-see breasts haha

----------

Well here's my understanding.

The date is 9.9.2014

9+9 = 18
18-20 = -2
-2+14 = 12

Or

9-9 = 0
0-2 = -2
-2-0 = -2
-2+14 = 12

12 hours on an analog clock face.

Therefore, it definitely must be the iWatch announcement!

Who likes? lol

I think your close but no cigar. You forgot one very important number and your calculation is slightly out. You needed to total your numbers which give us 32 but heres the kicker, the hidden gem that totally unlocks everything. The start time is 10 am , you add the 10 to 32 and you get 42 the meaning of life the universe and everything :D

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
I guess there are various different types and styles of sundials with different positioning and locations where something like that can translate to 10 AM.

I'm generally not much for overanalyzing, but as someone pretty well versed in graphic design, I think the sundial theory sounds completely reasonable, for whatever it's worth.

The image is so simple that it really only has two strong choices that are even worth examining. One clear choice is that they blew the icon up so much that we can't see the whole thing within the frame (in line with bigger screens, giving us "more"). And the other choice they made was to add a hard linear shadow to the one single object in that frame. And that linear shadow just happens to be in the only spot one could choose to draw it to indicate the time of the event. Exactly. Out of 360 degrees worth of choices.

...Not that it couldn't be unintentional, but with such a simple image with so few clear choices, it seems less likely.

Last edited:

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
You are little late to the party. This was lengthy discussed last thursday and yes, it's a sundial.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm generally not much for overanalyzing, but as someone pretty well versed in graphic design, I think the sundial theory sounds completely reasonable, for whatever it's worth.

The image is so simple that it really only has two strong choices that are even worth examining. One clear choice is that they blew the icon up so much that we can't see the whole thing within the frame (in line with bigger screens, giving us "more"). And the other choice they made was to add a hard linear shadow to the one single object in that frame. And that linear shadow just happens to be in the only spot one could choose to draw it to indicate the time of the event. Exactly. Out of 360 degrees worth of choices.

...Not that it couldn't be unintentional, but with such a simple image with so few clear choices, it seems less likely.
I generally agree with most of that. I was just not really seeing the particular timing exactly as different types of sundials can show 10 AM differently (and the one I originally had in my mind would have 10 AM looking differently).

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
The picture is actually a red hearing meant to throw you off. The key and answer is in the number. The date. 9.9.2014

20-14 = 6
996 or 666 when turned to match. The price the originally apple computer sold for.

6+6+6 = 18

1+ 8 = 9

take the tail of the 9 bend it round and attach it to the 9's 0 to form the strap of the iWatch

and there you go, the hidden apple message that says the iWatch is confirmed for 9.9.2014 at 10 am

of course you could have gone the fast way and attached the 1 to the 0 of 10am to form the strap of the iWatch but that would be silly because apple have been holding the keynote at 10 am for years :D

Kev2134

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
only TIME will tell

Apple likes to keep things simple. The obvious answer/explanation to 'Wish we could say more' is 'only TIME will tell'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.