Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenDalton

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2003
Most likely a mistake

I doubt Apple would only make a 33mhz speed jump. But you never know.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
it has to be a mistake because the model number is still the same, if it was a new powerbook it would say b.

iJon

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by DrGonzo
if anything they just rounded up from 867. Is this even page 2 worthy?

that's the beauty of page 2.

anything is page 2 worthy :)

arn

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Total fake

If the product features aren't set in stone and the product isn't in production, they won't have a model number yet, and the model number is all wrong.

And yes they would make a 900MHz PowerBook G4 12".

As a low end config.

The high end is likely to be 1GHz.

Then if you want more, go for a 15" or 17".

Jaedreth

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Re: Total fake

Originally posted by jaedreth

As a low end config.

The high end is likely to be 1GHz.

Let's do some speculating. A few days ago there was a rumor that the iBooks would be discontinued. So a 12" PB at 900MHz could be seen as an upgrade to the current 800MHz iBook. And then indeed 1GHz for the more expensive version. It could make sense.

Then again, it's very likely to be just a mistake.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
major mistake unless it has a true 7457 , cooler more effecient 200ddr 400effective) capable fsb, 512-1MB l2 cache (l3 we not be needed) 64MB graphics and 1-2GB ram limit, firewire 800 usb 2

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Stupid mistake. But the much larger, much more stupid mistake is that Apple has now taken nearly 7 months to update the embarrassingly slow, overpriced, upgrade crippled PB 12". Year of the laptop my a**! More like "year of the longest gap in several years before a laptop refresh" Since even the 7457 will not bring major speed boosts, they need to max out things on the PBs or sales are goig to continue to tank. Given that the hard drive in the 12" is virtually impossible to upgrade without great time, expense, and/or voiding the warranty, they should at least come with either the 80GB Hitachi HD or the 7200 RPM 60GB model standard, 128 MB VRAM with the fastest video cards available, and fer chrissakes L3 in the 12" and if they 7457 supports 4MBL3, just buck up and ship them with that much.

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
Originally posted by rog
Year of the laptop my a**! More like "year of the longest gap in several years before a laptop refresh"

They thought about going with that. But "Year of the Notebook" had a better ring to it.

elo

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Year Of The Craptop was already taken by yours truly. Steve asked me if he could use the phrase, but I had to turn him down.

"And now introducing the, 2.0GHz G5 dual processor desktop, and the 900MHz G4 12" Powerbook: The biggest, and smallest product updates in Apple history."

I can see the new ad campaign now. ;)

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Re: Total fake

Originally posted by jaedreth

As a low end config.
Not with a system bus less than 200 MHz--which seems unlikely on the 12" even with a 7457.

WM

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by rog
Stupid mistake. But the much larger, much more stupid mistake is that Apple has now taken nearly 7 months to update the embarrassingly slow, overpriced, upgrade crippled PB 12". Year of the laptop my a**! More like "year of the longest gap in several years before a laptop refresh"
Depends on how you define "several years". It took ten months, I believe, to update the 400/500 MHz TiBooks. That refresh was almost two years ago; IMHO, "several" is at least four.

...they should at least come with either the 80GB Hitachi HD or the 7200 RPM 60GB model standard, 128 MB VRAM with the fastest video cards available, and fer chrissakes L3 in the 12" and if they 7457 supports 4MBL3, just buck up and ship them with that much.
All that and a half-hour battery life!!!

Seriously, the 12-incher's battery is pretty damn small. I highly doubt it could support all those features.

WM

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Or maybe it should be

2003! Where is the laptop??
:p

Hey, and don't knock 33 extra mhz. Thats a whole extra 68030 we are talking about!

aryeh

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2003
manhattan
Here's the bottom line.
Until there is a level three cache on the 12" Powerbook, not interested. Nor is anyone who does pro audio. As the 12' is part of Apples pro line (i.e. not a G3 i book) the ommission of this feature is significant. LIKE I've said before, one should be able to buy the portables according to the size of screen required, not features, which, should be standard across the line.

Saying all this, as Apples revenue is 46% derived from the portable line/products, I think it foolish to always bring out the towers (ala G5) before the portables. The portable division is the most inovative Hardware segment of Apple computer. With all which is said on these forums, there is NO reason why Apple could not bring out the G5 portable line now. I don't buy the arguments. Just my take.

Looking forward to SERIOUS upgrades to the powerbook line. Hope everyone has a great day and weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.