Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2024
Hi all. I'm back with a couple more noob questions about Numbers in Sonoma.
  1. Is there any way to change the zoom level to a custom %? The presets don’t quite work for me. I can select 150% or 200%, but ideally I’d like 175%.
  2. How do I change the color of text in one cell according to the presence/absence of text in another? Let’s say that cell B1 contains text in a blue font color. If I enter text into cell A1, I’d like that blue text in B1 to turn gray. I’ve read the help re Conditional Highlighting, but I can’t figure out if that will work — maybe it’s old age but I can’t seem to follow it. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012

1. How do I change the color of text in one cell according to the presence/absence of text in another? Let’s say that cell B1 contains text in a blue font color. If I enter text into cell A1, I’d like that blue text in B1 to turn gray. I’ve read the help re Conditional Highlighting, but I can’t figure out if that will work — maybe it’s old age but I can’t seem to follow it. Is there a way to do this?

AFAIK the conditional format of a cell can only be steered by its own content or state, not from another cell.
I found it a challenge anyway, and came up with a rather dirty workaround that may or may not work for you - all depending on the spreadsheet layout and usage.
Note in the screenshots below (sorry for the Dutch interface):

cell A1: some text
cell B1: intermediate cell with formula: IF() cell A1 contains a text, insert a space in cell B1
cell C1: some text
cell D1: join the results of B1 and C1 with formula: CONCATENATE()

Cell D1 has a conditional formatting that checks if the cell content begins with a space.
Columns B and C could be hidden - depending on the circumstances.

Quite a dirty workaround, isn't it? But I wanted to share it anyway. HTH

CondForm.jpg

Last edited:

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2024
1. If you're using a laptop (or have a trackpad) you can pinch to zoom to whatever level you want. (I have no idea how to do that with a mouse, maybe the scroll wheel?)
Thanks. I should have mentioned that I'm using a Magic Mouse. I tried the one-finger double-tap on the mouse, but that zooms the doc out to a weird number like 62%; doing it again zooms it to 94% but never to any higher percentage. I also tried holding down Command, Option, etc., while opening View > Zoom, but it offered no new options.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2024
AFAIK the conditional format of a cell can only be steered by its own content or state, not from another cell.
I found it a challenge anyway, and came up with a rather dirty workaround that may or may not work for you - all depending on the spreadsheet layout and usage.
Note in the screenshots below (sorry for the Dutch interface):

cell A1: some text
cell B1: intermediate cell with formula: IF() cell A1 contains a text, insert a space in cell B1
cell C1: some text
cell D1: join the results of B1 and C1 with formula: CONCATENATE()

Cell D1 has a conditional formatting that checks if the cell content begins with a space.
Columns B and C could be hidden - depending on the circumstances.

Quite a dirty workaround, isn't it? But I wanted to share it anyway. HTH

View attachment 2373236
Aha, that's an interesting idea, if it'll work in the files I want it to. I'll have to do some experimentation to see. Thanks for the scheme; I would not have thought of that.

Reactions: GerritV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.