Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
ANOTHER question:

From what I've read, Aperture creates a jpg for your stored pictures called a "preview" (at least, I think that's what its called). I found where you can control that preview in terms of size/quality.

The catch is -- the jpg preview is the file that is copied should you, for example, drag and drop your photo from Ap onto the desktop.

This gives you a trade-off to make:

Either keep a low-quality, small sized preview setting for performance and storage reasons, and use "export" when you want a high quality jpg.

OR use a high quality full sized preview, so you can quickly/easily use Ap photos in other iLife apps at full res.

I'm actually OK with the second choice EXCEPT -- I contemplate having 3-4 versions of the same photo. Does that mean I'll end up with 3-4 full sized jpgs for that photo?

Does LR work differently? Does it keep some kind of jpg for preview, or does it somehow render on the fly in library and develop, as you are looking through pictures? (which, if true, would seem to be a trade off to tax the CPU a bit more, but preserve storage)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
From what I've read, Aperture creates a jpg for your stored pictures called a "preview" (at least, I think that's what its called). I found where you can control that preview in terms of size/quality.
JFYI: Aperture uses the preview in two ways: in Preview mode, it is used to represent the image. And in non-Preview mode it is used, before Aperture has completely rendered the RAW image. (In normal mode, all RAWs are rendered live and freshly, including small ones in the film strip.)
Either keep a low-quality, small sized preview setting for performance and storage reasons, and use "export" when you want a high quality jpg.

OR use a high quality full sized preview, so you can quickly/easily use Ap photos in other iLife apps at full res.
You can also access Aperture's photos through the standard Open dialog.
Or if you want to send e-mails, you can choose the e-mail function in Aperture which creates a full-sized jpg.

But you're right, I would also prefer if Aperture would offer to export the images -- although that would take a while (if you export a bunch of images, you have to wait a little while -- the same amount of time you would have to wait if it were to export them when dragging and dropping).
I'm actually OK with the second choice EXCEPT -- I contemplate having 3-4 versions of the same photo. Does that mean I'll end up with 3-4 full sized jpgs for that photo?
Yes, because that's the setting you then use. If you keep the quality down to a reasonable value, it's doable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.