Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
I have an AirTag in my car. It has been working fine, and I never heard any sounds from it.

Now - for the last few days - I hear a little chirp sound every time I enter my car, after I’ve been away from it for a long while. The sound only lasts a few seconds, and then it becomes silent again.

I‘ve checked the FindMy app, and nothing seems different than normal. There aren’t any notification, etc.

Does anyone know what this sound means, or what may be happening?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
It's possible that the airtag may have gotten too cold - or its battery has. I'd remove it and re-pair it in FindMy with your iPhone - if it starts doing it again, I'd replace the battery. I believe the current firmware is 2.0.61 - I'd also make sure it's up to date (if it's not, I'd bring it back into the house for a few days until it's updated).

Being winter in the norther hemisphere, a lot of our AirTags may be getting colder than their intended operating environment - may cause them to reset.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
A couple of reasons:

1. Is the battery dying? Open up FindMy and see what the reported battery status is. Replacing the battery (should be!) easy.
2. Is it too cold/hot? I don't know where you're at, but I know Aus is very hot these days, and the USA is very cold. Could the temperature range be out of tolerance?

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.