Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eatapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2021
Hi, everyone. I got my new MacBook pro several days ago. And once I opened a pure white page and noticed that the sides of the screen were slightly slightly darker than the middle of the screen.

And I want to find the reason, then I found that the m1 chip 12.9 inch iPad Pro also has the same situation, that is, the edge is slightly darker.

And What they have in common is that they all use the mini led screen, I don't know whether it is because of this reason or there is something wrong with my new computer, thank you!!

Attached is a picture, but it looks more obvious than the naked eye. I wonder if it is because my phone is focused in the middle of the screen, lol~

thanks a lot for your time!!!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 3,227
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,361
  • 微信图片_20211030004432.jpg
    微信图片_20211030004432.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,453
Reactions: BreakYurAnkles

i9inkers

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
Hi, everyone. I got my new MacBook pro several days ago. And once I opened a pure white page and noticed that the sides of the screen were slightly slightly darker than the middle of the screen.

And I want to find the reason, then I found that the m1 chip 12.9 inch iPad Pro also has the same situation, that is, the edge is slightly darker.

And What they have in common is that they all use the mini led screen, I don't know whether it is because of this reason or there is something wrong with my new computer, thank you!!

Attached is a picture, but it looks more obvious than the naked eye. I wonder if it is because my phone is focused in the middle of the screen, lol~

Looks normal to me,

You will never have perfect uniformity across the screen. Actually these screens do the best job I’ve ever seen with brightness and colour uniformity. With the old LCD screens yellowing and pink tint was an issue when viewing off axis.

Im completely a screen OCD type of guy and I think these new mini LED screens on both the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro’s are 10/10

macdrej

macrumors member
May 16, 2017

i noticed the same thing - actually already on the first setup screen with the default wallpaper.

it‘s so minimal that i will accept it, IF everyone else has that problem and not just some (like back in the day when Apple would use two display suppliers where one was of inferior quality).
83BA9665-BC2A-4AF7-A499-D8CC2354D975.jpeg

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Can't tell anything from the pics. Try moving your head to one edge and see if the darkening goes away there. It could just be a matter of viewing angle.

macdrej

macrumors member
May 16, 2017
Can't tell anything from the pics.
i can see the darkening on the posted image both on my iphone and macbook pro display, not sure what setup you have to not see it.

also not an angle thing, it's clearly visible from normal viewing angles.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
i can see the darkening on the posted image both on my iphone and macbook pro display, not sure what setup you have to not see it.

also not an angle thing, it's clearly visible from normal viewing angles.
I can see the darkening. What I can't see is the effect of the angle from which the darkening is viewed. Normal viewing angles typically produce some darkening at edges. Edges are also typically darker on the older screens. How much of the darkening shown here is due to which effect can only be determined by checking from other angles too.

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
It's normal for a lcd. Direct Led makes dirty screen effect more visible. The mac book pro has a very good screen compared with the PG32UQX for 3500 Euros. If you would see it, you would cry.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021

I have the same issue on my 2020 M1 MacBook Air.

It is definitely NOT present on my 2015 MacBook Pro 15"

I'm not sure what to think.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
I used a black/white 16:10 burn in fix video on YouTube that helps my screen temporarily. It usually lasts a few days until the grey edges come back.

Rimmsi

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2021
Czech Republic
I look at your photos and I don't see anything wrong. I also checked my MBP and EIZO desktop monitor and I don't see any white screen issues here either.

Chris-to-fer

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
It's not normal for lcd and it does not look normal. It is a vignette all around the screen probably caused by the type of backlight with dimming zones. Mine has it too m1 max 16". It's not horrible but depending on image content and user case it can be annoying. What is horrible is the structure of the screen you see especially if there are single colors over a big area. Check out different grays in full screen. Looks like a bad dirty screen effect or color banding or compression artifacts. Even if you move safari windows that are mostly white over the screen you can see the structure of the screen. With dark gray it is as if there were everywhere uneven darker spots. When you watch a screen uniformity test on YouTube in full screen and then move the courser so the bottom navigation bar of YouTube slides in you will see a dimming coming up from the bottom that reaches till a THIRD!!! of the screen, that is really crazy and not normal at all. I wonder if a display with artifacts that severe can be considered a pro display. It also sometimes gives me the impression as if magenta spots appear periodically in the white and sometimes you cannot be sure if white is white or has a magenta and then again green cast changing in high frequency. The latter I cannot repeat consistently but the "dirty screen effect" is clearly there and everybody can see it with their eyes (not camera) by just looking at dark gray fullscreen.

Six0Four

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2020
Linus did a review on Apple Pro XDR display that is also mini LED and he mentions this same thing. It must be just the way they are made.

I am extremely ocd when it comes to displays and in terms of things like dead pixels, uneven brightness, uneven color temp, these displays are the best I've seen. Dell XPS's were among the worst. I returned like 4.

jshcy

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
The display on my 16-inch M1 Max looks great to me. Again, this is my perception and I understand that the the way that you perceive your screen might be different. I also agree with a previous comment/question: how long and how frequently do you stare at white screens...and, more importantly, why?

Lisimba

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
I have the exact same issue with mine. I can’t recall seeing this on my previous 2019 model so maybe it’s a miniLED thing (as you suggested).

By the way, I actually noticed that if you align your line of sight with the edge of the screen, it appears to disappear so maybe it’s a viewing angle thing. Who knows.

jorisdeboer

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
I have the same thing. But it is actually really noticable, check the images! Should I turn it in for repair?...

Attachments

• IMG_9867.JPG
    IMG_9867.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_9866.jpg
    IMG_9866.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 298

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
I had a MBP 2019 16" and now have the 2021 M1. The new screen is incomparably better and, as someone wrote before, I appreciate the screen every time I use the computer. The edges are darker than the middle of the screen when I look straight on, but when I move my head to the side of the screen, the side is lighter than the middle. Doesn't seem like a problem to me.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Tested screen brightness distribution for the 16" by notebookcheck:

View attachment 1934872

The 14" is similar, but slightly less overall brightness:
View attachment 1934877
That seems OK. Not stellar, but good enough for someone like me.

In contrast I just bought a Huawei MateView 28.2" monitor, and and the brightness uniformity is significantly worse. I don't know what mine is, but it's pretty noticeable, and reviews have the brightness drop-off being in the range of 10-20%.

TsxKBcWpj79izvmCBG9ZE5-1200-80.png

I kept the monitor though, because otherwise it's decent. I tried other monitors and while they had better brightness uniformity, they had other much worse problems like backlight bleed.

Spotlighter9

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2021
This vignette display anomaly has been discussed many times since Apple started using mini LED technology. As have other anomalies specific to the technology, such as blooming. Do a search. It is normal. My 16" M1 does the same...the display is otherwise so gorgeous and the speakers so immersive, in time you won't notice or care.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This vignette display anomaly has been discussed many times since Apple started using mini LED technology. As have other anomalies specific to the technology, such as blooming. Do a search. It is normal. My 16" M1 does the same...the display is otherwise so gorgeous and the speakers so immersive, in time you won't notice or care.
This is something that occurred long before mini-LED was introduced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.