Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK

Interesting, although I don't know enough about big.little to argue that the A10 isn't using it. To me big.little is just using a combination of high power and low power cores within 1 CPU.

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
Wow, really? I get the idea that the Main cores will be a bit faster, like usual, and should make things feel snappy again like everyone loves but the two low power cores will handle most "idle" tasks. Think of all the times the phone is in your pocket but still talking to cell towers and getting a text message and email and etc. I figure it'll run all the baseband and notification services. Maybe drop down to those cores after a web page is rendered and in memory and just use them to facilitate scrolling. I suspect these low power cores will be a standard for at least a few generations to come and they'll just get more useful each time.

That's the way it would run, no way would Apple let and active app run in a slow core. There can be
A lot going on with an iPhone when it's not being used, that's a perfect. Time for the slow and power saving core to be used.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
The MIT / Solidenergy tech is close to production. It's supposed to have double the energy capacity.
"SolidEnergy plans to bring the batteries to smartphones and wearables in early 2017, and to electric cars in 2018. But the first application will be drones, coming this November."

http://news.mit.edu/2016/lithium-metal-batteries-double-power-consumer-electronics-0817

Thanks. That was exactly the one I was thinking of. It does look like the best one in terms of having some chance of making it into production any time soon. "Apple buys Solidenergy Systems" would be an interesting and potentially game-changing headline to read in the next few months.

But knowing apple, they might just make a smaller/thinner iphone with the same runtime ;)

Don't even joke about it! :)

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Going from the 6+ to the 6S+ was a night and day difference. Even after a year on the 6S+ I can't complain about performance and I'm a stickler for a fast phone. Web browsing in Chrome with a content blocker is faster on my phone than on my Macbook. I'm struggling to find a compelling reason to upgrade to the 7+.
I'm excited to see and feel the performance difference upgrading from my 6+. With the A10 SoC with a much improved graphics chip, and the 3 GB of RAM that has been confirmed by GeekBench, it should be quite a difference.

gebbl

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
I think /r/android on Reddit have been far more insightful and fair than a lot of people around here.

A few quotes from die-hard Android fans:
  • We can see all the complaints about Apple's stagnant "innovation" but this is a good example of Apple leading competition and the innovation which grows from it.
  • Apple's chip team has been on fire for years now.
  • Apple's processors have always been ahead of Qualcomm or even Samsung's offerings.
  • That's an incredible result. Qualcomm is so far behind, they might just as well start making stupid inspirational quotes... "It's not about the race, it's about the journey!"
  • I have to say, for all their other disappointments, Apple makes some impressive processors.
  • Their chip legitimately got me almost halfway considering an iphone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.