Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Ok I talked to the photography teacher and he said that it would probably be better to go with the 18-55mm IS lens for his class. So I got my Amazon cart ready this is what is in it.

Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Silver Body Only)

Go black, if you can.

I'm personally not a fan of filters, especially cheap ones, on such high grade lenses (except for polarizers, neutral density and graduated ND). Forego the filter for the hood.

I read some stuff about having a hood for the 100mm Macro to protect it but someone else also said that a protection filter will do the same thing. And the Tiffen one comes free with the camera.

The Canon 100mm macro is unusual in that its front element is far forward. Most have the front element recessed. This becomes a potential flare issue. Canon has engineered a rear diaphragm in the lens to reduce this possibility at f/2.8, but hoods are always a good idea. It will cut down on flare and afford some protection of the front element. In 30 years, I've never damaged the front of a lens, while others have.

Or is the $39 piece of plastic worth it?

Yes, I would. And for your other lens as well.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Is this the Sandisk you are talking about? It is only $3 more.

No, that one will not work. The XTi takes a compact flash (type I or II). The one you picked in your previous post will work just fine. There's no reason to get more than an Ultra II because it's as fast as your camera can record. If you plan to use a CF card reader on your Mac with USB2 or firewire, then you can download the images faster with an Ultra III, but if you're transferring directly from the camera to your computer the Ultra II is fine.

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2006
California
Ok thanks I switched back to the 2GB Ultra II and black body.

I am not going to worry about getting extra batteries or chargers just yet.

I dont plan on taking pictures every day just yet and one battery should be able to keep a charge for as long as I would use it for at a time.

If I change my habits I can get more batteries in the future.

So I am trashing the knock off kit and getting the hood for the 100mm Macro and one for the 18-55.

So I am set and just need some kind of lens cleaning kit and a bag which I might just get at the local Sammy's after I get my camera and lens.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
So I am set and just need some kind of lens cleaning kit and a bag which I might just get at the local Sammy's after I get my camera and lens.

You should also get a Rocket Blower and sensor cleaning kit. I use methanol and polyester swabs, but I have ready access to them. :) Once you start changing lenses, you will also get issues of dust. I'm sure these self-cleaning cameras do a nice job, but I'd rather do it myself. I'd also avoid getting a bag that says "Canon" (or Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax or any other camera name). Attracts the attention of the unscrupulous. Tamrac makes excellent bags at reasonable prices.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Yes, 1 battery, and a canon brand charger come with the camera. That is an SD card used in many consumer cameras. Most SLR's, including the XTi, use Compact Flash. This is the card I was talking about.

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2006
California
Yes, 1 battery, and a canon brand charger come with the camera. That is an SD card used in many consumer cameras. Most SLR's, including the XTi, use Compact Flash. This is the card I was talking about.

Ok thanks. I think I am going to go for the 4gb one now.

Someone just suggested to me getting a 70-200mm zoom lens and a Canon close-up lens to attach instead of the 100mm Macro.

This would be cool because then I would have a good zoom lens. My only question is can you still get really good macro photos with a 70-200mm zoom lens and a close-up attachment.

If you can is there any special close-up lens to get. And a recommendation for the regular 70-200mm or the IS one?

This has been the most decision changing post ever but it is very helpful.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The Canon closeup lens/filter is the 500D - do a Google search on "Canon 500D" and you'll see what it can do.

The main problem I see with the purchases you're listing now is you're still stuck with nothing below 70mm.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Someone just suggested to me getting a 70-200mm zoom lens and a Canon close-up lens to attach instead of the 100mm Macro. This would be cool because then I would have a good zoom lens. My only question is can you still get really good macro photos with a 70-200mm zoom lens and a close-up attachment.

You might get good, but you'll never get great.

This has been the most decision changing post ever but it is very helpful.

There is no substitute for macro other than a dedicated macro lens. The most important feature of all macro lenses is their edge to edge sharpness (flat focal plane). You cannot get this in non-macro lenses.

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2006
California
The main problem I see with the purchases you're listing now is you're still stuck with nothing below 70mm.

No My two options are

18-55mm IS
70-200mm
Canon 500D close up lens

or

18-55mm IS
100mm Macro
(getting a telephoto lens in the future)

I am leaning towards just staying with the dedicated Macro lens because that is what I want to work with most.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I am leaning towards just staying with the dedicated Macro lens because that is what I want to work with most.

I'm not much of a macro shooter; but I think if you're going to shoot a lot of macro, you're making the right choice. I have the Canon 500D close-up filter, and it works well for the occasional "macro" shots that a non-macro shooter might take - but it doesn't really turn your glass into a macro lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.