Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
Hello,

I've been wanting a DSLR for years and tomorrow I'm finally gonna get one! The problem is that now I see another option...

For a long time i've been wanting a Nikon D80, read everything about it, decided what lenses to get for it etc... (D80 kit with 18-138 and a Nikkor 50mm 1.8) And now a local shop is selling a Canon 40D body for the same price as the Nikon D80 kit with a 18-135. I know the Canon 40D has more to offer then the D80 but I'm not so sure if it's worth the additional investment. And since it's the body only, I could get the Canon 50mm 1.8 but then I want something wider too (although I don't plan on getting it immediately and I could borrow Canon lenses from friends...) Price gets higher this way and it's not like I want to spend a lot more cash but if the Canon is worth the extra Euros...

Nikon D80 + Nikkor 18-135mm + Nikkor 50mm 1.8 <<vs>> Canon 40D + Canon 50mm 1.8!

I'm quite confused...

I won't be using it to make money (well who knows actually), like most people it's a hobby -- shooting urban environments, landscapes, some wildlife, friends, family, girls, the usual things.

Which one would you get?!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If it's a hobby, and money is an issue (as it is for most of us) - I'd get the D80 with the lenses. Be aware, though, that people are expecting a D80 replacement soon - so holding off might either a) get you a better camera for the same price; or b) save you some money, since the D80s will become less expensive.

I'm not saying you should hold off; just be aware of it. If you're one of these people that's likely to agonize about your purchase if something new comes out right afterward, then hold off. Otherwise buy the camera now and start hitting the shutter!

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
I know both cameras are good (D80 / 40D) and if there's a D90 soon I wouldn't be agonizing if I've got a D80. I probably would be agonizing if I bought a Macbook Pro and a few months later Apple updates them with a new design. :) But for the camera I doubt that, as long as it's a good camera, I wouldn't care how much better the new one is.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Both are great cameras so you can't go wrong. The 40D may have a bit more to offer than the D80 right now (anti-dust, screen size, fps, 14bit), but bodies come and go anyway.

If you can borrow lenses from friends (regardless of brand) - that is really really helpful. Don't underestimate this. My father and I go on trips from time to time and he kicks himself for buying back into X brand when I am carrying around a bunch of lenses for Y brand -- sharing is awesome, especially when you can try-before-you-buy!

The 50mm f/1.8 is a fantastic lens and only $75 (for both Canon and Nikon). That would serve you well for almost everything that you mention. A fairly inexpensive wide zoom can be had after the fact if you go with Canon + 50mm f/1.8 now.

You'll always be able to purchase more later on. Soft benefits of borrowing lenses is really key - see if you have any Nikonians in your friend group and compare what they might be able to share.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I went with the 40D.. now if only I could get to enjoy taking photos... blergh! snow & cold.

I went Canon as I have friends with Canon's so we can share lenses, I have borrowed a 30D from a friend for a few weeks late last year so I am familiar with the menus etc, had also used a XTi as well. I splurged a little and got the 50mm F1.4 :).

Depending on how the prices are... Amazon.com has had the 40D at $1300 a few times, and if you can purchase the Canon Pixma MP970 printer as well you get a combined $300 in rebates from Canon. I got the printer at $235 and the camera at $1300 so in effect I get both for $1225 after the rebates.

Note you must buy both products from the same store AND on the same receipt. Rebate cutoff for the purchase is April 19th. The MP970 is a beefy printer, my goodness. I have never done any photo printing until last week... oooo :)

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'd say D80, but that's because I'm more fond of Nikon equipment than Canon equipment.

If blazing speed is important to you, you won't find a camera like the 40D for the price anywhere. If it isn't, then I'd look heavily into the D80. They're fine cameras and If I didn't enjoy the Pentax K10D the way I do, I'd have bought a D80 or D200 myself last year!

SLC

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
Most of my friends have Canon's! Not so much Nikonians, though a friend could give me his Nikkor 70-300 4-5.6, 18-55 and perhaps other lenses. Many of my friends with Canon use analog lenses with an adapter ring, and that's what they've recommended me... I think there's such an adapter ring for Nikon too.

If I wait for the update of D80, it would surely cost a lot more then D80 now, probably as much as the 40D, but the Canon now is 200 Euro less than it normally is and as I've shot with 30D and at work with a 20D, this is why I'm considering it.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
With the 40D I made sure I have a body that I know I should not need to upgrade unless I either turn pro (not likely) or there is some massive revolution in digital photography and everything we know now is obsolete. I know that photography isn't just a fad for me and I didn't see any benefit in buying a lower end model only to be wanting to upgrade and seeing the original body as lost $$$.

In getting the body I did delay the purchase of a quality telephoto lens for now, but long term I think I am better off.

It doesn't matter which brand you go with, just change brand/model and it is still the same, if I was going Nikon I would have done the same thing.

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
I feel the same way, I want a camera body that I wouldn't want to switch and I've no plans for going pro. So in a long term the 40D I guess is a better investment. But there's the 18-135 kit lens with the nikon that would be quite useful! :eek:

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
I'd say D80, but that's because I'm more fond of Nikon equipment than Canon equipment.

If blazing speed is important to you, you won't find a camera like the 40D for the price anywhere. If it isn't, then I'd look heavily into the D80. They're fine cameras and If I didn't enjoy the Pentax K10D the way I do, I'd have bought a D80 or D200 myself last year!

SLC
There you go again SLC! Mentioning Pentax in a Canikon thread! ;)

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Canon vs Nikon

I own both a Nikon D50 and a Canon 30D. Before my 30D, I own a Xti.
-Something a lot of people over look when comparing nikon to canon is the craftsmanship of the camera. All Canon bodies (with the exception of the Xt and Xti) are made of strong magnesium-alloy exterior. This is a super plus when taking your camera anywhere that doesn't have balloon padding for a floor.
-Canon's shutter is rated at 100,000 cycles and so is Nikon's.
-The 40D has that ant-dust feature which is great. Everytime you change your lens, dust can and will get it. It's a pain in the ass to clean a sensor... not because of the process but because of the "what-ifs" that can happen while doing so.
-The 40D feels better in larger hands vs the smaller compact size of the D80.
-Nikon's color system is much more brighter and vivid than Canon in my opinion. Reds, Blues and Greens are superior to nikons.
-Canon has a larger line of SLR Lens to choose from and even have the "L" series lens which are well worth the extra dough that they cost.
-The 80D can take more pictures per battery charge than the D40
-The 40D has live view which is great in times in need especial for very low shots and very high shots.

It's a toughy, but the best thing I can suggest is to go to a camera shop first, hold both camera's in your hand.. take a couple of shots... see how each one feels in your hand, around your neck and on your shoulder. Than come back home and purchase online if you like. Good luck
-Ellz

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
The anti-dust feature on the 40D is mostly a gimmick. On mine, dust still gets in, and from time to time, I still need to change the lens.

The single, most important factor in choosing a camera is choosing the SYSTEM. Buy a body and it is a temporary thing, but lenses can last for decades. The lenses influence the style and expression in the art you make; the body is the device which makes it permanent, although it can play a role.

I went with Canon's 40D because the consistent market battling between Nikon and Canon is healthy; in the end, both companies strive to produce great gear to compete in the same market space. While Nikon did an awesome job with the 300D, I don't doubt Canon's next 5D iteration will be no less impressive. Between Nikon and Canon (these are the only choices I considered), I went with Canon's lens system, as it had the good stuff I was looking for.

Both the D80, or its replacement, and the 40D are stellar. It will probably take you a long time to get the most out of either toy.

Happy shooting!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'd get the Nikon D80 because I like the handling better on Nikons, and at the end of the day, you wouldn't care about the missing extra "features" that the Canon 40D has, but the D80 lacks. It also comes with a good, all-around lens that you can use in many many situations, which is more useful than any additional feature the 40D has.

But personally, if the price and lens included with each camera were identical, I'd still choose the D80 because it feels more natural ergonomically for me.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Between the Nikon D80 and the Canon 40D I would look at lens choices for my shooting style/needs and use that to drive my decision. It's the lenses that ultimately stay with you longer once you have the ones you like. Bodies come and go every few years.

With that said I shoot Nikon and am quite happy with the brand.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Between the Nikon D80 and the Canon 40D I would look at lens choices for my shooting style/needs and use that to drive my decision. It's the lenses that ultimately stay with you longer once you have the ones you like. Bodies come and go every few years.

With that said I shoot Nikon and am quite happy with the brand.

Is there really much difference in lens selection between Nikon and Canon?

not ragging on your post or anything, I've just never seen a lot of lenses from either brand that weren't also available in the other.

SLC

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Nikon D80 + Nikkor 18-135mm + Nikkor 50mm 1.8 <<vs>> Canon 40D + Canon 50mm 1.8!

I'm quite confused...

I'll make it easier for you. Look at the D40 and the 400D- each with a kit lens, take the additional money and put it in a savings account. Shoot for two years with whichever you pick, getting additional lenses only if you're sure you'll want to stick with the brand you chose. Now in two years, you can take the money out of savings and get a great discount on an even better camera and you'll _know_ if it's the right camera for you.

Seriously.

not ragging on your post or anything, I've just never seen a lot of lenses from either brand that weren't also available in the other.

SLC

Each one makes a few lenses the other doesn't. For some folks, those lenses are well-worth it (superzooms, 70-200/4, 200-400/4...)

If there's a particular lens that might be on your wishlist, it's as good a way of choosing as any.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007

SLC
Yes. Canon has lenses Nikon doesn't have (and vice versa), and Canon has image stabilization in the non-tele zooms where Nikon doesn't. On the other hand Nikon has some prime and zoom telephotos that many say are superior to the Canon equivalents. I don't know first hand whether that's true. Maybe not since Canon has more market share in the pro DSLR range.

I shoot mostly with the Nikkor AF-S 70-200/2.8 VR. It's a fantastic lens & I've been told the Canon equivalent is not as good in IQ and sharpness. I like it for it's wicked fast auto-focus too since I do action photography (sports car racing).

But if I did it all over again (starting from scratch with no lenses), I would just look at lenses to suit me, and then choose a body to match.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm quite confused...

I won't be using it to make money (well who knows actually), like most people it's a hobby -- shooting urban environments, landscapes, some wildlife, friends, family, girls, the usual things.

Which one would you get?!

Here is the way to think of it. Which do you want to buy NEXT time? If you buy Nikon you will be buying Nikon lenses and then some day replacing the D80 with some other Nikon DSLR body. Same for the Canon. Buy Canon now and you will be buying Canon for a long time. So look at it this way: you are choosing a company not a camera. Yes you can switch later but it is will be expensive and unpleasant.

What would I do? I'd go for the system that got me the lenses I want

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm not sure about that.

When I first looked for a DSLR, I was already convinced that I wanted a Canon before I ever saw one in person, or played with one in a shop. One of the reasons I went with Nikon because the cameras felt more natural, but that wasn't the MAIN reason. The main reason is the Nikon 18-200 mm VR lens that was just released. However, after all these years, and a lot of money spent on lenses, I still don't own that lens, nor do I ever intend on buying it. Plans change. Don't plan everything around a lens. Just get the camera you want and worry about the lenses later. Like myself, you may not know what lenses you need yet, so the advice regarding "Choose the "system" that offers you the lenses you want" doesn't apply for most people.

The only people it'll really matter to are a few birdies, where the telephoto zooms on offer by Canon and Nikon are different. Otherwise, the lenses on offer are very similar, and are generally quite good.

You can plan ahead if you wish, but I'm sure things will change once you start shooting and know specifically what you want.

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
As for lenses I looked a lot and read reviews at photozone.de. From shooting with friends' cameras (and at work a lot with the 20D), I really like wide lenses! And both Nikon's and Canon's are expensive (500+ Euro for a Canon 17-85 4-5.6 IS) and even if it's not 17mm, 18mm for example, I'm not fond of getting a Canon 18-55 lens that comes with the Digital Rebels! And I'm not really that pretentious for now about any specific lenses.

I'm not really thinking about the NEXT camera for now! And I don't want to for years! I need to invest in a larger Wacom too... :p And with a camera like either one, I most definitely wouldn't need more! Especially with the 40D. And if I get a starter DSLR like the D40 or a 400/450D Canon, I know I'd want a better one, as I've shot with both of them, and also I didn't like them when I hold them.

Today later when I'll go to the store and have a look at both of them side by side. You can't really compare them right now only from photos... I've shot with the D80, and I haven't even touched the 40D!

jonswan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
You say:

... I've shot with the D80, and I haven't even touched the 40D![/QUOTE]

Can't believe you're asking others what they think without holding BOTH cameras yourself before weighing up other things in more detail. For me the Canons felt insubstantial, whereas the Nikon D80 was quite the opposite, and hence I got the latter with the 18-135mm and am very happy.

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
Well, I'm just asking for opinions of people more familiar with DSLR photography and what would they do in such a position. :) I'm heading to the store now to see them and hold them both!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.