Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
As for lenses I looked a lot and read reviews at photozone.de. From shooting with friends' cameras (and at work a lot with the 20D), I really like wide lenses! And both Nikon's and Canon's are expensive (500+ Euro for a Canon 17-85 4-5.6 IS) and even if it's not 17mm, 18mm for example, I'm not fond of getting a Canon 18-55 lens that comes with the Digital Rebels! And I'm not really that pretentious for now about any specific lenses.

If you get a Sigma 18-50 mm f/2.8, or Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8 lens for either Canon or Nikon, it'll be quite wide, but also quite good. ;) Either that, or a Tokina 12-24 mm f/4 lens. The Tokina is much wider than either of the other 2 lenses I mentioned, but it obviously doesn't give you a lot of reach on the long end.

Also, an "18 mm" lens, for example, is actually wider on a Nikon D80 than on a Canon 40D. Same with all equal focal lengths. It won't matter by much, but it's something to remember.

Handle the Canon 40D. It's supposed to be a good camera, and it definitely takes nice photos. I don't personally like the way any Canon DSLR feels. I hate that jog wheel. However, you may love it, or you may feel that the difference between them (ie: ergonomics, size, weight, price) is very small, and in that case, get the Canon 40D.

I still say get the Nikon D80 because I personally prefer Nikon camera bodies, and it comes with the 18-135 mm for the same price as a Canon 40D with the 18-55 mm kit lens. However, the choice is yours, really.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Of course that's hard to do when you're a newbie, since you don't really know what lenses suit you yet. :D
That may be, but you have to decide on a lens anyway. If you're serious about it, but get a kit lens, you'll decide sooner or later it's too slow and replace it anyway. But you are right for the most part. For first time buyers it can be difficult (and expensive) to pick a lens first and body second.

I bought a D200 with the 18-200 VR. I replaced that lens in less than a year.

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
Back from the store and made my decision! I ordered the 40D! I found it quite comfortable to hold, made a few shots and liked it, the Nikon was great too but I liked the 40D more. It'll be mine this monday! And I'm gonna shoot a lot!

There was this woman in the store, a Canon user, who didn't stop talking rubbish about Nikon! She was really annoying. Kept telling me the Canon 50mm 1.8 is an awful lens, and was no better than the 18-55 that came with the kit Digital Rebels and I should get it instead (for about 50 euro), though both make such blurry shots!

Anyways, in a few days I'll have a nice Canon with a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens and after some time perhaps figure out what lenses I want and save money. :) Thanks very much for your help!

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Back from the store and made my decision! I ordered the 40D! ...
Anyways, in a few days I'll have a nice Canon with a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens and after some time perhaps figure out what lenses I want and save money. :) Thanks very much for your help!
Congrats on the purchase. Even though I'm a Nikon shooter, I think you made a fine choice. The good thing about starting with the 50/1.8 is that without zoom it'll force you to think more about composition. With a zoom it's too easy to frame everything the same way. A prime forces you to be more creative. Not to mention a fast 50 is a great starter, IMHO.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
There was this woman in the store, a Canon user, who didn't stop talking rubbish about Nikon! She was really annoying. Kept telling me the Canon 50mm 1.8 is an awful lens, and was no better than the 18-55 that came with the kit Digital Rebels and I should get it instead (for about 50 euro), though both make such blurry shots!

Yeah, it is unfortunate that people behave that way. I've heard that from Nikon fans, Canon fans, 4/3 fans, window fans... er make that Windows fans. :D Oh, yeah, Mac fans can be that way as well.

We had a woman that worked in our office for a couple years, and she volunteered to be the "department photographer" at our social events. Unfortunately (in this case) we had a Canon 300D - the original Digital Rebel. She'd take all these really poorly lit shots and a lot of out-of-focus shots and then blame the camera... "if it were a Nikon these shots would be great!" The real problem, of course, was she never bothered to figure out how the Digital Rebel worked, didn't make allowances for its slow interface, and never bothered to learn how its autofocus worked (which of course is a matter of what, maybe spending 30 seconds?). I tried to tell her all this, but she was sure it was the camera - "I KNOW how to use autofocus", she said more than once. Thing is, I hated that camera - but never had trouble getting servicable images out of it. So really it was quite obvious she DIDN'T know how to use autofocus or most anything else. :p

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Yeah, it is unfortunate that people behave that way. I've heard that from Nikon fans, Canon fans, 4/3 fans, window fans... er make that Windows fans. :D Oh, yeah, Mac fans can be that way as well.

Agreed.

Look at any printed photograph, in a magazine, art show, whatever, and there is no way you can tell whether it was taken with a Canon or a Nikon. They are both great platforms and have their advantages and disadvantages compared to each other.

I'm sure if I lost all my Nikon gear and replaced it with Canon my pictures would look no different once I made the adjustment to using the gear.

iPlm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
Guys, I got the camera! I've been playing with it for a few hours now, and there are so many options and settings, it's overwhelming. I gotta get used to it and learn to take good photos... I got the 50mm Canon 1.8 too! Thanks again for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.