Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
So I've been doing the beta dance every year for more than a decade - I've only had a couple of bad experiences (apps that didn't work, etc) and I'm always prepared to downgrade if necessary. That said, I'm not a dev so in the past I've had a friend add me to their account, or recently just used one of those free devprofile sites. But with Apple getting rid of the profile system this year, I figured I'd just wait until the public beta. That is, until I read about a very simple oversight on Apple's part that allows you to install the beta OTA - it just shows up in iOS Settings and you install it as usual. 🤔

So I started downloading it OTA on my iPhone, then pretty much immediately changed my mind. I turned "Beta Updates" off, and thought that was that. Ten minutes later, I got a pop-up message on my iPhone, asking if I wanted to install the iOS 17 Beta now, or later. I clicked "Later" and thought that was that. My phone immediately rebooted and started updating. 🤣

So now I'm running the beta and unless there are any significant bugs, I guess I'll just stick with until September. So far I haven't encountered any noticeable bugs or glitches, and all of the apps I need to use on a regular basis seem to work fine. Just a word of advice to anyone having second thoughts after pressing the button - it doesn't seem to be something you can actually stop! lol

• Haha
Reactions: 17fox and xxray

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
If you want to you can roll back by connecting to a Mac and putting phone in Recovery Mode or DFU Mode.

It wont restore a backup made in iOS 17, so it is a good plan to archive your last backup in iOS 16.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Iirc, “later” just means it’ll install while it’s charging at like 3-5am. But this is funny. I know, I have the red “1” badge for a software update on my Settings app icon because of iOS 17 which is tempting me to upgrade lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.