Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quikky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2020
My girlfriend and I share a dog. I have an airtag attached to the dog's collar. We don't live together, so the dog is at my house half the time and her house the rest. When the dog is at my girlfriend's house, the tag will occasionally chime, I presume to let her know that there's a tag in her vicinity, but can be annoying for her (and the dog).

Is there a way for her (or me) to acknowledge that the airtag is at her house when the dog is there and prevent the random chimes, or to somehow disable tracking temporarily? Or is the only option to just take the tag off the dog when she's not with me? I realise this is a weirdly specific use case and Apple don't recommend airtags with pets, but it's otherwise really convenient. My girlfriend has an Android phone which I guess adds complexity to this situation.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Anything where your phone is away and it will eventually start beeping. This is an anti-stalking measure. As the Airtag is only meant to find stuff which is missing. Not for constant tracking. You can remove the speaker and stop the beeping entirely though.

Reactions: Quikky

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
If you need tutorial how to remove speaker without using glue layer:

I used it on my Wallet AirTag - when removed circular speaker beeping is present but very quiet. Not needed to use any glue, plastic clicked back without issues

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
in iOS 17 coming next, you will be able to share tags with other users, so you've got a few months to get her off android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.