Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
I recently got two displays for my G4 Cube: One (rare?) 23-inch and one 20-inch Acryl/ADC Display, both in mint condition. I put the 23-inch display on my desk and just tried tilting it, just to hear some cracking plastic. The plastic from the displays' stand cracked but didn't brake. The solution Apple used in these displays to connect the stand to the display is really bad: the stand is only fixed on the upper but the lower end of it is not connected to the spring although it could be. That makes the stand extremely fragile.
So, lets fix this!

Tools needed: 3.3mm drill, 2mm and 2.5mm allen key (optional for 20-inch display or smaller: 5.5mm drill)
If you think you can drill really precise you can also use a 3mm drill.
Parts needed: M3/14mm screws (M3/12mm for 20-inch display and smaller if you have the optional 5.5mm drill)

With the 2mm allen key, remove the three screws fixing the stand to the display. Remove the stand.

Then use the 3mm/3.3mm drill to drill three holes in the stand correspnding to the existing ones like this:

IMG_1373.jpg

If you have the optional tools, follow the steps at the bottom, so it is easier for those who haven't got the tools to follow this guide.

When the drilling is done, reassemble everything with the replacement screws. Now, the stand is fixed from the upper and lower side and is about three times as stable as before!

IMG_1371.jpg

I'm designing and 3D-printing a extension for the Acryl displays' stand because I think they should be able to stand more upright than they can do normally. Using a book also works but looks ugly ;)

EDIT: Designing is done! Here you can find the Stand extension for a more upright stand.

And let me know which displays exactly use the thinner or bigger screws!

So here is the optional step for 0-inch displays or smaller:

With the 5.5mm drill, make the recesses for the screw heads about 1.5mm bigger so the screw heads dont stand out. That's because the screws from these displays have a 1.5mm thinner head than normal.
The left screw is from the 20-inch display, the middle one from the 23-inch and the right is one of the replacement screws:

IMG_1374.jpg

The left screw is the original, the middle is the replacement one and the right one is also a replacement but the recess for this one is already drilled bigger/deeper so it doesnt stand out.

IMG_1370.jpg

Here are all recesses processed:

IMG_1372.jpg

After making the recess bigger, they do somehow stand out by 2mm or so. Thats why I recommend using M3/12mm screws instead of the larger ones for the smaller displays:

IMG_1375.jpg

Last edited:

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I recently got two displays for my G4 Cube: One (rare?) 23-inch and one 20-inch Acryl/ADC Display, both in mint condition. I put the 23-inch display on my desk and just tried tilting it, just to hear some cracking plastic. The plastic from the displays' stand cracked but didn't brake. The solution Apple used in these displays to connect the stand to the display is really bad: the stand is only fixed on the upper but the lower end of it is not connected to the spring although it could be. That makes the stand extremely fragile.
So, lets fix this!

Tools needed: 3.3mm drill, 2mm and 2.5mm allen key (optional for 20-inch display or smaller: 5.5mm drill)
If you think you can drill really precise you can also use a 3mm drill.
Parts needed: M3/14mm screws (M3/12mm for 20-inch display and smaller if you have the optional 5.5mm drill)

With the 2mm allen key, remove the three screws fixing the stand to the display. Remove the stand.

Then use the 3mm/3.3mm drill to drill three holes in the stand correspnding to the existing ones like this:

View attachment 2373621

Optional step for 20-inch displays or smaller: With the 5.5mm drill, make the recesses for the screw heads about 1.5mm bigger so the screw heads dont stand out. That's because the screws from these displays have a 1.5mm thinner head than normal.
The left screw is from the 20-inch display, the middle one from the 23-inch and the right is one of the replacement screws:

View attachment 2373624

The left screw is the original, the middle is the replacement one and the right one is also a replacement but the recess for this one is already drilled bigger/deeper so it doesnt stand out.

View attachment 2373618
View attachment 2373620

After making the recess bigger, they do somehow stand out by 2mm or so. Thats why I recommend using M3/12mm screws instead of the larger ones for the smaller displays;

View attachment 2373645

When that's done, reassemble everything with the replacement screws. Now, the stand is fixed from the upper and lower side and is about three times as stable as before!
View attachment 2373619

I'm designing and 3D-printing a extension for the Acryl displays' stand because I think they should be able to stand more upright than they can do normally. Using a book also works but looks ugly ;)

And let me know which displays exactly use the thinner or bigger screws!
I put my external hdd cases under them instead of the book LOL. :)

Very nicely (and cleanly) done!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.