Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Whilst looking for ways to get some level of basic emoji support for the Clouded Leopard project (Snow Leopard for PowerPC), I learnt of a nifty way to integrate a basic, early emoji support for Snow Leopard, Leopard, and even Tiger.

This workaround for what I guess amounts to backmojis can be useful because Apple didn’t integrate standardized emoji (i.e., multi-colour) font support prior to 10.7. This workaround sought to alleviate that.

There are a couple of minor drawbacks outlined within the above linked post, but if you’re using pre-10.7 on legacy early Intel Macs (or later PowerPC Macs) and would rather not see the unparsed-emoji default glyph, give this a whirl. :)

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Saw this on Hacker News today and immediately thought of this thread, Google just released a new black and white emoji font! Might be a good way to get support for more emojis! https://developers.googleblog.com/2022/04/what-is-black-and-white-and-read-all.html

Good to know!

The other two I’ve mentioned before — Quivira and Symbola — are freeware and one of these, Quivira, was entered into the public domain in 2019.

Google is a bit less clear about the licensing state of their fonts, but embedded inside each font is a Google copyright, whilst usage is covered by SIL Open Font License 1.1:

1651377533914.png

Knowledge of this newly-added emoji font by Google, however, will come in pretty handy for open webfonts in web site development.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Good to know!

The other two I’ve mentioned before — Quivira and Symbola — are freeware and one of these, Quivira, was entered into the public domain in 2019.

Google is a bit less clear about the licensing state of their fonts, but embedded inside each font is a Google copyright, whilst usage is covered by SIL Open Font License 1.1:

View attachment 1999299

Knowledge of this newly-added emoji font by Google, however, will come in pretty handy for open webfonts in web site development.

In an obscure usage edge case for future reference, should some other person on this planet run across this or face a similar typesetting quandary:

I discovered Quivira and Noto Emoji, despite them being OpenType, do not register on the font list in QuarkXPress 9.5. Symbola, the TrueType outlier, does work fine. I honestly wasn’t expecting to use emojis in a Quark document, but I was especially surprised to see it completely ignore the OTF emoji fonts.

Anyhow, the More You Know…™ 🌠

Reactions: TheShortTimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.