Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnchapin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
Amateur Photog

Warning: Grouchy old guy here again :D

So, what should I do :confused: Is it too much to ask for just an inexpensive easy-to-use photo editor for the Mac with a reasonable set of tools. (Sorry, Painter X doesn't cut it unless they have secret tools not listed in their features on their web site.) Here's the grouchy part: I don't care if it's pixel based, instruction based, etch-a-sketch based, 128 bit based, or has 16 million color channels.

Every few months I look around again, but don't find anything. So, I'm sticking with my old PC and Paintshop. It's a bit of a hassle to transfer the edits to the Mac, but hey, it makes for a good backup too: PC, Mac, thumb drive, & DVD.

On a positive note and off topic, I've been using a Panasonic FZ18, and in my humble amateur opinion, it's the best thing since color film. With an optical zoom from 28-504 mm equivalent (and image stabilization), who needs an SLR? And, only $250 at your local big box :cool:

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
So, what should I do :confused: Is it too much to ask for just an inexpensive easy-to-use photo editor for the Mac with a reasonable set of tools.
Check out Pixelmator: it costs $59 and covers the basics (layers, filters, masks, rulers and guides, cloning, etc.). The latest version has caught up with many of the most requested features: level curves, rules and guides, just to name a few.

But this is an entirely different animal compared to Lightroom or Aperture -- which are the professional analog to iPhoto. They are not image editors.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Warning:
So, what should I do :confused: Is it too much to ask for just an inexpensive easy-to-use photo editor for the Mac with a reasonable set of tools.

What do you need to do to your photos?

If it is just, fix color saturation, sharpen, crop, adjust exposure, then why not use iphoto. It should have been included when you bought your mac. It will work with your camera and allow simple edits.

If you need a pixel editor then there are many public domain freebees at
versiontracker.com. Just search for photo editor, or pixel editor.

Painter X is very powerful with many tools and layer manipulations but it is geared more towards artists who work with conventional media.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2004
I've not tried the beta, I think I left it too late for that. However I've not really found any limitations of V1.3 that requires me to upgrade to 2. I suppose I would like it to be a bit faster when I'm scrolling through a single folder of over 1000 RAW images.

What is the killer feature of V2 folks?

scuzy

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
i want ot use lightroom to manage and catalog my photos. Is there a way to place the catalog on a network share? I trid doing it and it said it can't be open on a network share. Kinda lame that i have to take all my photos off the NAS and place on loal computer for LR to manage them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.