Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I don't use PLEX. I just serve KODI 18.3 Leia with 10TB of media drives (i.e. no transcoding), but even then I've noticed little things like in Mac Mojave, I'll get a brief 'skip' playing music from KODI over the Mac's SMB3 implementation (maybe every 10-12 songs or so and that's down from almost every song under Krypton). Since I put my 2TB SSD (was using RAID 0 which would not allow more than one boot drive) I've put Windows 10 Pro in a boot camp partition (had an 8.1 Pro license lying around I never used and you can register 10 under an 8 code for the full version) and just running the same exact media drives from Windows (I had to add MacDrive software to allow Windows to read my HFS+ media drives directly), I have yet to get a single skip playing music from the same exact player (it can't tell and couldn't care less which OS is serving the drives as they have the same network address and names regardless). So that tells me Apple's implementation of SMB3 isn't quite right (or something else interferes once in awhile with the network data). I think they should have just licensed Microsoft's version instead of writing their own.... But with the SSD, I can boot into Windows or Mac in about 20 seconds each so it's not a big deal to switch back and forth now. So IF I were going to run PLEX, I'd probaby do it from Windows 10 instead now since it has the GPU support.

I'm afraid with 10.15, the lack of 32-bit support is a game killer for the Mac anyway (I would lose quite a bit of software including Photoshop CS3, Microsoft Office 2008 and probably every Mac game ever made before a year or two ago). I may end up switching over to Windows 10 permanently once Mojave loses support for major software if that's the case. My old Photoshop 6.0 still works in Windows 10. I'm not doing that subscription thing for what I need it for so Apple's screwed the pooch on this one, IMO. They should have a sandboxed 32-bit mode or something as some software simply isn't replaceable (custom business stuff, older games, etc.) For such a rich company, I think they could have afforded to keep 32-bit support (and don't tell me it's going to make ANY functional improvement whatsoever save a few megs of disk space). Apple has made some boneheaded decisions, but this one takes the cake. Dropping all open software support (that isn't approved by Apple) will be the next big thing in a couple of years....

techbri

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
As this thread is a few months old I would like to hear from those running the 2018 Mac Mini as a Plex server. I have been considering going back to a Mac for Plex but I want to know what performance I can expect from the new Mini vs. my pc with a GPU. I currently run a i5 with 6 cores running Windows and I have a Nvidia P2000 GPU installed. We have 2-3 streams going in the house at a time and I share my server with a few friends and family. I heard from a remote user yesterday that they were trying to stream a new 4K HVEC HDR movie I put on the server and it wasn’t working. I let Plex create an optimized 1080p copy and he reported later yesterday that it was playing fine. I limit remote streaming to 720p due to my upload bandwidth and I noticed last night that there were 4 remote streams pushing. Two of them were the same movie mentioned above and the interesting thing was that it was transcoding the 4K down to 720p rather than using the optimized version. In any case I had the two 4K hevc transcodes and two 1080p transcodes as well as another 1080p transcode running locally to my sons tv. The box was barely breaking a sweat. I am curious what to expect in terms of number of simultaneous transcodes on the i5 mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.