Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Droid13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
United Kingdom
As per the subject line; neither Word nor Excel were recognised as standard apps for these file types and I had to do it manually (and against the advice that it wasn't known that these apps would open these files).

I have had to do this on more than one machine, both with Intel (i7) and Mac (M2) processors.

Very odd.

Just me or is this a thing?

EDIT: Intriguingly PowerPoint .pptx is wholly unaffected...

Last edited:

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
No issue for my intel i9 MBP 16'. maybe you can try to re-install office?

sigalf

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
As per the subject line; neither Word nor Excel were recognised as standard apps for these file types and I had to do it manually (and against the advice that it wasn't known that these apps would open these files).

I have had to do this on more than one machine, both with Intel (i7) and Mac (M2) processors.

Very odd.

Just me or is this a thing?
Same issue. And really annoying as quicklook will not display any preview for these extensions

sigalf

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Reinstalling office does not help. Bug also present on Sequoia 15.1 latest beta

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
My Mac has properly associated both .docx and .xlsx files as Word and Excel documents (respectively) without needing to manually change the file associations. I am also running the latest 15.1 beta.

Droid13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
United Kingdom
No issue for my intel i9 MBP 16'. maybe you can try to re-install office?

Reinstalling office does not help. Bug also present on Sequoia 15.1 latest beta

My Mac has properly associated both .docx and .xlsx files as Word and Excel documents (respectively) without needing to manually change the file associations. I am also running the latest 15.1 beta.

So out of a sample size of four so far, half of us have an issue and the other half do not.

Even after associating .docx and .xlsx with Word and Excel respectively, Quicklook and Finder do not show or preview them the same way that they do with .doc and .xls files (which worked and continue to work fine without intervention).

EDIT: PowerPoint .pptx files are completed unaffected and work just fine as is.

Last edited:

sigalf

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Issue not fixed in osx 15.1 beta 5. Pages and Numbers cannot open microsoft files. Quicklook cannot preview .xlsx and .docx files

• Sad
Reactions: Droid13

Droid13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
United Kingdom
Issue not fixed in osx 15.1 beta 5. Pages and Numbers cannot open microsoft files. Quicklook cannot preview .xlsx and .docx files

I have submitted this issue via Apple Support and using the feedback form. I don't think there is more that I can personally do.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
So out of a sample size of four so far, half of us have an issue and the other half do not.

Even after associating .docx and .xlsx with Word and Excel respectively, Quicklook and Finder do not show or preview them the same way that they do with .doc and .xls files (which worked and continue to work fine without intervention).

EDIT: PowerPoint .pptx files are completed unaffected and work just fine as is.
I don't have any issues with file associations or quicklook on my M1 MBP, running version 16.89.1 (24091630).

How did you uninstall Office? Did you just delete the apps in the Applications folder? If so, you may want to try to delete everything MSOffice related and re-install.

Droid13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
United Kingdom
I don't have any issues with file associations or quicklook on my M1 MBP, running version 16.89.1 (24091630).

How did you uninstall Office? Did you just delete the apps in the Applications folder? If so, you may want to try to delete everything MSOffice related and re-install.

I haven’t gone down the uninstall - re-install route just yet; saving that task for later.

dawolf

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Same Issue here on the new macOS with the latest versions of Word and Excel. I can open files directly from the programs, but not from the finder. Also preview does not show Word or Excel files.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
If you Ctrl-I on an .xlsx file to open the Info pane, go to the Open With section, does it show Excel as the program? If not, what if you change it and then hit "Use this application to open all documents like this one"?
Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 7.48.35 PM.png

sigalf

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
It works but does not fix the icon nor the quicklook preview function for xls and docx files. Word and Excel can open the files directly however

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
It works but does not fix the icon nor the quicklook preview function for xls and docx files. Word and Excel can open the files directly however
This has worked for me in the past, to restore the icons in Finder and quick look: find the process com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent, quit it (or you may have to force quit it). Then relaunch Finder in the tray at the bottom (right-click with Option key held down)

sigalf

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
This has worked for me in the past, to restore the icons in Finder and quick look: find the process com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent, quit it (or you may have to force quit it). Then relaunch Finder in the tray at the bottom (right-click with Option key held down)
Thanks. Tried but no success

Droid13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
United Kingdom

I tried all the steps from this article. https://droidwin.com/macos-sequoia-issues-with-ms-word-and-excel-file-fixed/

It did not fix anything unfortunately. A full reinstall of MS Office does not fix the issue on OS X Sequoia.

Nothing works to restore full function. I can open and close them ok after forcing Word and Excel to be the default apps but that is it - cannot do things like preview attachments in Outlook; this bug is a productivity killer.

Droid13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
United Kingdom
Tried to flag this to Microsoft as well but unsure of how to actually do that. Has anyone seen anything useful from Microsoft about this? I have found a few things about Teams issues but not Word / Excel.

PowerPoint seems unscathed in all of this.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
Nothing works to restore full function. I can open and close them ok after forcing Word and Excel to be the default apps but that is it - cannot do things like preview attachments in Outlook; this bug is a productivity killer.
I'm having the exact same issue. Reinstall did not restore quicklook functionality. Very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.