Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I find the fit of the supplied earphone sleeves supplied with my AirPod 2 Pro's totally unsatisfactory. Normally this would not be and issue as as I have a soft case full of them, many different types and sizes. Naturally Apple has its own design. As it is I cannot wear them because they are not securely fitted in my ears, specifically my right ear I have had the right earpiece fall out twice and that sitting at my desk, fortunately. I more or less like their sound but I am not going to use them out in the wild until I can securely anchor them in my ears. I have tried the add on ear hooks and lanyards which ruins their fit and comfort. The one thing I can see doing is getting them custom fitted. Has anyone done this. You can get kits that allow you to take a mold of your auditory canal which you send in for custom fitted ear sleeves. My problem is this costs more the $150 bucks. These AirPod are not that good, I have perfectly fitted Shure SE-425's and 535's that blow the AirPods out of the water sound wise, they just don't have the Apple ecosystem goodies.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I find the fit of the supplied earphone sleeves supplied with my AirPod 2 Pro's totally unsatisfactory. Normally this would not be and issue as as I have a soft case full of them, many different types and sizes. Naturally Apple has its own design. As it is I cannot wear them because they are not securely fitted in my ears, specifically my right ear I have had the right earpiece fall out twice and that sitting at my desk, fortunately. I more or less like their sound but I am not going to use them out in the wild until I can securely anchor them in my ears. I have tried the add on ear hooks and lanyards which ruins their fit and comfort. The one thing I can see doing is getting them custom fitted. Has anyone done this. You can get kits that allow you to take a mold of your auditory canal which you send in for custom fitted ear sleeves. My problem is this costs more the $150 bucks. These AirPod are not that good, I have perfectly fitted Shure SE-425's and 535's that blow the AirPods out of the water sound wise, they just don't have the Apple ecosystem goodies.

I think you have answered the question yourself here...

You could either:
  • Go with the custom-fitted route
  • Buy different AirPods completely
  • Buy different 3rd party tips and try them out until you find the ones that work best for you
  • Use your Shure headphones
  • Invest in Beats which also offers Apple ecosystem stuff (AFAIK)

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2020
I can see I wasted my time with this question.

Give it time, I find this subforum isn’t super active.

I haven’t tried custom fitted ear tips. However, there are aftermarket ear tips that may work better than the ones that come with the air pods pro. Probably the most common are the Comply foam ear tips. I have also tried aftermarket silicone ear tips by Spinfit and Azla. Both worked well for me and better than both the stock ear tips and the comply ear tips.

If you do a search of this subforum, you will find other brands of tips that have worked for some.

Reactions: transmaster

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the tips from apple don't really seal well in my ear, I use the ones from comply and they fit well. But they do need to be replaced every few months. I recommend getting the multi set (3 pair total, one of each size) first to see what fits. after that you can order the 3 pack of the same size. if the large apple tips are falling out, then you should just get the large size.

If they're falling out of your head, then they don't have a good seal, which will greatly affect the audio.

Also look up videos online about how to insert them, you kinda have to pull on your ear and give a little twist to get the seated well. which if not done right could lead to them falling out.

If you google "AirPods Pro tips" you'll find plenty of options.

• Love
Reactions: transmaster

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I found the APP ver 1 uncomfortable and no matter what of the included air tips I used fit was poor and the right one always fell out with little activity. I decided not to invest in aftermarket tips as no guarantee of fit, so I sold them and went with the Beats Fit Pro which are so secure and have the same Apple ecosystem goodies that the APP offer. Sound is great, fit great and comfort.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
the tips from apple don't really seal well in my ear, I use the ones from comply and they fit well. But they do need to be replaced every few months. I recommend getting the multi set (3 pair total, one of each size) first to see what fits. after that you can order the 3 pack of the same size. if the large apple tips are falling out, then you should just get the large size.

If they're falling out of your head, then they don't have a good seal, which will greatly affect the audio.

Also look up videos online about how to insert them, you kinda have to pull on your ear and give a little twist to get the seated well. which if not done right could lead to them falling out.

If you google "AirPods Pro tips" you'll find plenty of options.
Comply is brand of sleeve I have a supply of right now for my Shure earphones. Going to look right now, 😄

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Ordered 2 sets, this is a known and very much liked brand of sleeves I have used for years, Thanks waw74
I ordered Lilac Purple 😁

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 10.19.09.png

Last edited:

scrane

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2021
I don't think many people here go the route of molded tips for the airpod pro. You've probably done a google search and come up with a variety of options. Like you, a I don't think the expense and possible dissatisfaction is worth it.
There are a bunch of custom tips available. Check out Amazon. I have no problem with my Airpods tips, but I do use aftermarket tips on my other wireless earphones. Ideally, I use a larger tip in my right ear than my left.
Aftermarket tips are a jungle. Start off by measuring the apple tip you are having trouble with search amazon airpod tips for something offered in a larger size.
You seem to have been ambivalent on the airpods in general from the beginning. Maybe it's time the admit the airpods are just not for you. There are a lot of earphones out there that sound great and work well within the apple system. I personally have the Sony wf1000xm5, and the Aurvana Ace. But honestly, the airpod pro 2 sound the best to me and have the best noise reduction as far as I'm concerned.
You should try to get out of the habit of comparing wired and wireless phones. It's just a losing battle for SQ. If you demand wired SQ from wireless it's just not going to happen. I, myself have a box full of wired earphones that I never use (outside of a pair of old Etymotics) anymore. Having wires tugging at my ears all the time just isn't worth it to me. Away from the idealized listening environment at home that last bit of SQ is just going to be masked by noise and lack of focus.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I don't think many people here go the route of molded tips for the airpod pro. You've probably done a google search and come up with a variety of options. Like you, a I don't think the expense and possible dissatisfaction is worth it.
There are a bunch of custom tips available. Check out Amazon. I have no problem with my Airpods tips, but I do use aftermarket tips on my other wireless earphones. Ideally, I use a larger tip in my right ear than my left.
Aftermarket tips are a jungle. Start off by measuring the apple tip you are having trouble with search amazon airpod tips for something offered in a larger size.
You seem to have been ambivalent on the airpods in general from the beginning. Maybe it's time the admit the airpods are just not for you. There are a lot of earphones out there that sound great and work well within the apple system. I personally have the Sony wf1000xm5, and the Aurvana Ace. But honestly, the airpod pro 2 sound the best to me and have the best noise reduction as far as I'm concerned.
You should try to get out of the habit of comparing wired and wireless phones. It's just a losing battle for SQ. If you demand wired SQ from wireless it's just not going to happen. I, myself have a box full of wired earphones that I never use (outside of a pair of old Etymotics) anymore. Having wires tugging at my ears all the time just isn't worth it to me. Away from the idealized listening environment at home that last bit of SQ is just going to be masked by noise and lack of focus.
I like how the AirPods fit and work. But the supplied sleeves are not holding them in my ear, specially my right ear. like you I have to use a different size sleeve on that side. In the wireless BT realm the BT earphones are indeed bogus. But as I have pointed out I use FiiO BT DAC/Amps. I do have to contend with the cables but the FiiO braided cables I use are like wool yarn in their flexibility. Using the FiiO's I and not directly connected to the iPhone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.