Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ambientdaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Sonoma County CA
I backed up my old iPhone 7 to my Mac running BigSur. I restored this backup to my new iPhone 13. I do not use iCloud or Apple Music or Match. Everything transferred nicely via USB but none of my music or playlists are there. I only see some songs I had purchased from the iTunes store. In General/About/Songs it shows zero songs as quantity in my new iPhone.

How can I get my songs and playlists?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Those backups don’t look to include music, you would have to sync your iPhone with iTunes library to bring your music and playlists back across.

Backups from your computer​

A computer backup of your device, which is not the same as a sync, includes almost all of your device's data and settings. A backup from a computer doesn't include:
  • Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from Finder or iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Apple Mail data
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (to back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)
Learn how to back up your device using your computer, how to find backups on your Mac or PC, and how to delete backups that you no longer need.

ambientdaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Sonoma County CA
Thanks for the info! I am amazed how Apple cripples essential services. Plugging in my iPhone to my iMac and it will not even show the playlists I have in my iPhone! Just a 1980's era data list of the song titles. Bad form Apple!

Autographdawg

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2022
This is the answer:

This will fix this problem if your music library is intact on your iMac or PC/iTunes

All these steps are done on the iPhone.

1. I deleted the Music app from my phone.

2. I Reloaded the Music app and notice a partial fouled up library still on iPhone. Weird

3. Deleted the Music app once again.

3. Go to Settings and then click on your name at the very top, then go down to Media and Purchases. Open this and signed out then signed back in.

4. I reloaded Music a second time. I noticed part of my library still on my phone, but not entirely fouled up. Still weird.

5. I deleted everything, albums, videos , and playlist one by one until I have zero music in my Music app. Do this by pressing and holding on album/song/video/playlist picture and press delete from library. Do this until everything is gone from Music.

6. I restarted my iPhone and turned on airplane mode. This prevents anything from interfering with the sync. I synced my iPhone to my iMac. Everything in Music is correct now and exactly like it is on my iMac.

What a pain. Hopefully this helps Apple and others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.