Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
I just setup my first Mac —a 13-inch MacBook Pro. During the setup process I used Migration Assistant to transfer my iTunes music from a Windows PC. All the files and playlists were transferred, but it seems they were not transferred correctly.

The iTunes Music Media folder location on my PC is “C:\Users\XYZ\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media” and the Music Media folder location on my Mac became “/Macintosh HD/Users/XYZ/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media”. I suspect that the Music Media folder location should instead be “/Macintosh HD/Users/XYZ/Music/Media”.

Moreover, the Mac’s Music app came to have two Libraries: “My Library” and “XYZ’s Library”. Eventually, all the album art transferred into "My Library". "XYZ’s Library" has no album art. And neither library has any artist images. My PC’s iTunes library had most.

The Music folder in my Mac looks as follows:

Music [Folder] > iTunes [Folder] > Album Artwork [Folder]
> iTunes Library Extras.itdb
> iTunes Library Genius.itdb
> iTunes Media [Folder]
> iTunes Music Library.xml

Music [Folder] > Music [Folder] > Music Library

All the songs are located in the "iTunes Media" folder.

This is what I would like to accomplish:
  1. Change the Music Media folder to its default location.
  2. Delete "XYZ’s Library".
  3. Get the Artists’ images to populate.
Your advice would be appreciated.

I would like to take this opportunity to comment on my experience with Apple’s Migration Assistant.
  1. It necessarily creates a new Mac account with the same name and directory as the PC account from which the data is transferred. There is no way to transfer data to a previously created Mac account. Therefore, one must use either use Migration Assistant at the time of the Mac’s initial setup or eventually delete the previously created account.
  2. It is very slow —even using an Ethernet cable and both devices having Thunderbolt 3 ports. The PC from which iTunes was transferred is a 2018 ThinkPad X1 with an Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of LPDDR3 RAM and a 1TB Samsung PM981 (MZVLB1T0HALR) PCIe SSD. If you do not have USB-C Ethernet adapters for both machines, a Wi-Fi connection will be used, and it is even slower.
  3. The progress bar and estimated time remaining are useless. At some point the transfer time exceeded the estimated time and the progress bar stopped moving which led me to believe that the file transfer process froze or hung. However, the transfer continued until completion despite the progress bar not having moved.
  4. Apple’s Migration Assistant needs to be installed on the PC. After installation shutdowns on my ThinkPad X1 took longer than usual and shutdown memory error messages were displayed. Uninstalling Migration Assistant cleared those issues.
In sum, Migration Assistant is crude, unfriendly and inefficient. Apple can do better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.