Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
How are your AirPods batteries holding up? How long and how often do you use them? I want to buy them but not if they lose charging capacity within a year or so. I would use them probably one AirPod at a time at work. I work 4 10's and commute so would probably use them up to 12 hours a day at most 8-10 hours more realistically. So I would interchange them throughout the day several times and am afraid that would ruin the charging ability after several months.
Thanks. Your feedback is appreciated.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Interesting question. Unfortunately I have no information to share with you as I too just picked up a set. I am however curious to learn more about the longevity from those who've been using them.

Reactions: michial

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Interesting question. Unfortunately I have no information to share with you as I too just picked up a set. I am however curious to learn more about the longevity from those who've been using them.
I tweeted the same question to John Gruber and a few other Apple gurus who said they remain in great shape after a year of daily use.

Reactions: staggerlee41

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
That's great news, I hope that bodes well for all of us who've purchased them. Thanks for the update.
For sure. So far I’ve played Coltrane, Beatles, Beck, Radiohead and next some JGB and GD. Great balanced sound.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree, considering these are not noise isolating, the soundstage is very impressive. Call quality is also pretty solid. Not sure how it sounds on the other end yet, I haven't had them long enough to judge. In that regard, they sound better to me than BeatsX. Those will be going back in favor of a set that have a better balance of sound with noise isolation. I need something for air travel and will stop by InMotion next Sunday when in the airport, hoping to find and be blown away by RHA MA 750 Wireless.

So far I'm impressed and I wasn't sure that I would be.

Reactions: michial

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I agree, considering these are not noise isolating, the soundstage is very impressive. Call quality is also pretty solid. Not sure how it sounds on the other end yet, I haven't had them long enough to judge. In that regard, they sound better to me than BeatsX. Those will be going back in favor of a set that have a better balance of sound with noise isolation. I need something for air travel and will stop by InMotion next Sunday when in the airport, hoping to find and be blown away by RHA MA 750 Wireless.

So far I'm impressed and I wasn't sure that I would be.
I don’t travel much so will be using these around work and the family, so not being noise canceling and yet full bodied is a big plus. Love the w1 tech with the phone too. Enjoy and hope to interact more on the forums with you. Have a good rest of your weekend.

Reactions: staggerlee41

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
They haven't been available for a year to correctly answer your question. But I have them for 9.5 months and so far the battery holds up great. They are the best innovation Apple had since quite a while.

Why would you only use one at a time?

For calls while driving I use one at a time and it lasts approx. 1:45 hours and then I change them. However for Music it's not fun to listen only to one. Even if you have 10 hour shifts, put them into the charging case when you get coffee or go to the restroom etc.. That short time will help increase charge quickly and may bring you through the day.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
They haven't been available for a year to correctly answer your question. But I have them for 9.5 months and so far the battery holds up great. They are the best innovation Apple had since quite a while.

Why would you only use one at a time?

For calls while driving I use one at a time and it lasts approx. 1:45 hours and then I change them. However for Music it's not fun to listen only to one. Even if you have 10 hour shifts, put them into the charging case when you get coffee or go to the restroom etc.. That short time will help increase charge quickly and may bring you through the day.
Thanks for the reply. I mainly listen to talk radio and podcasts at work with music here and there.

GrimeAllDay

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
How are your AirPods batteries holding up? How long and how often do you use them? I want to buy them but not if they lose charging capacity within a year or so. I would use them probably one AirPod at a time at work. I work 4 10's and commute so would probably use them up to 12 hours a day at most 8-10 hours more realistically. So I would interchange them throughout the day several times and am afraid that would ruin the charging ability after several months.

I was lucky just after release to snatch a pair from “Harvey Norman’s” in Aussie when apple had none..
I’ve used mine every day from day one, done everything bar swim with mine, the batt is a little less on the actual AIRPODS and when I say little it’s about 3mins less, the case is the only thing changed and it’s not holding charge dropping about 10% over night, I noticed this after the 2nd AirPod update 3.7.2 I believe off top of my head, so I’m hoping a fix may be near with a update due soon,
I will say, the update/s DID allow double and triple tap features which are well worth the mention on here as most still think u need to use Siri to do any of this, and I’m pretty sure the features for the AirPods on Apple app etc still doesn’t have this saying to use Siri to skip etc, which was a hassle at the start,
So there is next track/play pause/ previous track, in Bluetooth AirPod settings.. They still sound great, can’t complain about batt, now we have stock I could take them in seen as I’m sure there firmware check would show a decrease and it’s shy of the year warranty, But I think I’ll wait for the 2ND gen AirPods due aoon with QI charging so I can drop it on the charging mat with my 8plus etc

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have had my AirPods since Dec last year. Have not noticed any change in battery life. One of the best Apple accessories I have ever purchased.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

txlpaul

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018
Bought mine almost a year ago and used them heavily every day.

Love them, but in the last couple of weeks the batteries got a lot weaker. Listening to podcasts is now only 2,5 hours from 100% to shutting off with the left airpod even 10-15min earlier. Talk time on the phone is less than one hour. Does anyone know if the batteries can be replaced or is it a pair of new airpods every year?

Reactions: nortonandreev

scotio200

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2015
Had mine since launch day, use them daily for at least 2-3 hours listening to music on way to work, making and taking calls and then music on the way home.

Can honestly say that I have not noticed any difference in battery life from day one to now. I would say im charging the case once every couple of weeks if that and never had them die on me mid call/music

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
Bought mine at launch. Use almost every day, no discernible difference in charging capacity, but that could be because I have gotten used to decreased life. Listening to music they last quite a while, but conference calls that drone on seem to drain them pretty quickly.

The thing is even if I have to get a pair every two years I am good with that because they have changed my listening experience. I didn’t realize how much I hated the cord, event the cord on my Bose BT set is annoying. These things are great, and probably the best apple accessory I have ever owned.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Bought at launch, use them during the work days so Monday-Friday, all day. I use one at a time so I can get through the entire day without having to stop. I've seen no battery degrading at all. Still my fave Apple accessory.

Rapjax

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2018
Bought at launch, use them during the work days so Monday-Friday, all day. I use one at a time so I can get through the entire day without having to stop. I've seen no battery degrading at all. Still my fave Apple accessory.

I’ve had them for a good part of a year and i’ve Recently noticed now that after 20 minutes the battery has drained to almost 50%. Not sure why. But a little disappointed.

Reactions: Datsyuk

MDePew24

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Ballwin, MO
I've had mine since launch day and I have to say they have held up really well. I use them daily for conference calls and music and they have been great as far as I'm concerned.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
I’ve had them nearly since launch and use daily. Unlike every other rechargeable battery device (yes I’m looking at my series O Apple Watch), I’ve notice no or almost no diminishing of battery life in the AirPods . For you’re stated use you’ll charge between ever day or other day. But I don’t think you’ll find it getting worse anytime soon. And yes I still love them. Easily my fave tech purchase in some time.

Last edited:

Chuck Kostalnick

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Denver, Colorado
It seems like I'm the odd-man out here. My AirPods (which I've had for a little over a year) last for about 2 hours for audio-only, and under an hour for phone calls.

The Left Airpod drains significantly faster than the right (Right is currently at 74%, Left is at 62%). I'm approaching a point which they will need to be replaced. Maybe I've got a bad pair, but I feel like the last 3 months the battery life has dropped off a cliff.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I've had mine for a year now and I'm not noticing any problems. Last Saturday I did a long run and used my airpods for just under 3.5 hours without a problem. About 5 minutes before I finished I got a beep sound so I know the battery was low. I put them in the case and roughly an hour later both buds were at 100%. I'm so into these things that I just bought a pair for my wife.

hsouris

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
I’ve noticed my AirPods’ battery is draining at approximately 1% per minute, which is to say disappointing. I’ve had them for a little over 14 months now.

Has anyone tried the genius? Do they replace the batteries or give you a replacement, and at what cost? Unfortunately, the local retailer told me they have to send them abroad, which will take 5-8 business days.

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I’ve noticed my AirPods’ battery is draining at approximately 1% per minute, which is to say disappointing. I’ve had them for a little over 14 months now.

Has anyone tried the genius? Do they replace the batteries or give you a replacement, and at what cost? Unfortunately, the local retailer told me they have to send them abroad, which will take 5-8 business days.

I am seeing exactly the same thing. Received mine on Dec 30th 2016. Now just over 14months old with moderate use and they are draining about 1% per minute. Interesting. I wonder if there was an issue with the early batches and the batteries. I am thinking of reporting this as I find it pretty bad the battery life seems to have fallen off a cliff recently.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I got mine on Christmas eve, eve, last year. Haven't used a wired headphone a single time since.

My daily usage: Pop both in for the drive to work, take one out and listen to podcasts literally all day. I alternate ears when one notifies me of low battery. Both go back in for the ride home, then later in the day a couple of times a week I go for a 2-3 hour bike ride.

I've noticed absolutely no degradation in battery life, and haven't had to think about any tweaks to my usage. I just use them and they're always good to go.

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
It seems like I'm the odd-man out here. My AirPods (which I've had for a little over a year) last for about 2 hours for audio-only, and under an hour for phone calls.

The Left Airpod drains significantly faster than the right (Right is currently at 74%, Left is at 62%). I'm approaching a point which they will need to be replaced. Maybe I've got a bad pair, but I feel like the last 3 months the battery life has dropped off a cliff.
Again sounds like my experience. Battery life fell off a cliff suddenly. I expect some degradation but this is quite severe. 5 hours to maybe less than 2 hours audio playback is pretty poor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.