Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There might cheaper quality Bluetooth earbuds on the market, but likely suffer in quality. Also, this is still a smaller market where Bluetooth earbuds are evolving. You can check Amazon for other options.

I personally plan on waiting for the Airpods whenever they release.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Was personally really excited for the BeatsX. The convenience of the W1 chip, good looks (black and white options) Beats quality (yes, it's pretty good these days) and good pricing (150 euros is not bad).

There's no release date however and I would want to see some reviews first. Jaybird also has some great options (even better than the Beats honestly, more versatile and more choice in models). No W1 chip though.

Reactions: oneteam

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Was personally really excited for the BeatsX. The convenience of the W1 chip, good looks (black and white options) Beats quality (yes, it's pretty good these days) and good pricing (150 euros is not bad).

There's no release date however and I would want to see some reviews first. Jaybird also has some great options (even better than the Beats honestly, more versatile and more choice in models). No W1 chip though.
This. I get the feeling the BeatsX are going to be better sound quality than the Airpods.

Reactions: oneteam

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I just started looking at the BeatsX seriously since the rumor that the AirPods will be delayed even longer, until 2017 possibly. I noticed that there appears to be only one button on the control, most likely to summon Siri or turn on/off, so it looks like there aren't any controls for volume! Is this correct? Has anyone seen or heard if volume controls are provided? I'd slowly accepted this fact with the AirPods and attributed the omission to their small size. But the similarity of the BeatsX to the PowerBeats3, which do have volume controls, makes this rather unexpected.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I just started looking at the BeatsX seriously since the rumor that the AirPods will be delayed even longer, until 2017 possibly. I noticed that there appears to be only one button on the control, most likely to summon Siri or turn on/off, so it looks like there aren't any controls for volume! Is this correct? Has anyone seen or heard if volume controls are provided? I'd slowly accepted this fact with the AirPods and attributed the omission to their small size. But the similarity of the BeatsX to the PowerBeats3, which do have volume controls, makes this rather unexpected.

The Beatsx do have volume controls, they are just not clearly labelled. At the each end of the remote for vol up and vol down.
Also the BeatsX don't have a firm release date, which is strange considering the Solo 3 and Powerbeats 3 are out already.
Apple are most likely deliberately holding back the release of BeatsX until Airpods are ready and first to market. They wont want to jeopardise Airpods sales and with the way things stand right now, most people would probably flock to BeatsX if they were sold before the Airpods.

Reactions: eagleglen

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The Beatsx do have volume controls, they are just not clearly labelled. At the each end of the remote for vol up and vol down.
Also the BeatsX don't have a firm release date, which is strange considering the Solo 3 and Powerbeats 3 are out already.
Apple are most likely deliberately holding back the release of BeatsX until Airpods are ready and first to market. They wont want to jeopardise Airpods sales and with the way things stand right now, most people would probably flock to BeatsX if they were sold before the Airpods.
Thanks for this information. I'm really glad to know the volume controls are present. And you're right about people selecting the BeatsX if the AirPods are delayed significantly. I'm one of them. However, I think if the AirPods are delayed until January 2017, I'm sure they Apple and/or Beats will do whatever they can to make sure the BeatsX are available for the holiday season.

Reactions: clunkmess

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I.am Buttons Bluetooth wireless earbuds I saw at Apple yesterday left me curious with their quality but not enough to throw down $229 to find out.

I am still amazed at the disparity with the reviews of Apple's earbuds that are $79. I did throw down for those last week. No problem with functionality, sound, and fit. There must be lots of duds out there for reviews to be so lopsided.

Last edited:

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Bought some solo3s to test drive the W1 and to generally tide me by.
As a glasses wearer I would much prefer Airpods or BeatsX , so Apple better hurry up before my 14 days are up! Lol!

Seriously - I know the Airpods have some sort of fault holding things up, but beats X are finished. Many celebs and athletes have them already. I don't think Apple wants them released before the airpods though. They may not have a choice as the Christmas shopping season is approaching.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
There are these Skybuds as an alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/SKYBUDS-SB100-CB-Skybuds-Charcoal-Black/dp/B01HS1IBE0

I only know about them because there was an empty display for them at BB so I guess they will be coming there soon.
[doublepost=1478283246][/doublepost]
Bought some solo3s to test drive the W1 and to generally tide me by.
As a glasses wearer I would much prefer Airpods or BeatsX , so Apple better hurry up before my 14 days are up! Lol!

Seriously - I know the Airpods have some sort of fault holding things up, but beats X are finished. Many celebs and athletes have them already. I don't think Apple wants them released before the airpods though. They may not have a choice as the Christmas shopping season is approaching.

When and where did you buy them, most places have extended their return policy already for the holidays till mid January so check on that.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I have a feeling we won't see the Beats X before the AirPods. Hopefully the AirPods will be released soon. Some stores already have test units and one guy said "we're ready to go". Seems they're just waiting for Apple to give them the go ahead. It'll be this year, not the next.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I am not sure why some folks think we will not see the Beats X before the AirPods, Solo 3 Wireless and PB3 are here so .....

Reactions: clunkmess

tma888

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
Just got the Bragi Dash today and I think anyone looking for an alternative to the Airpods should seriously
consider these. This is my personal opinion on the Bragi Dash earbuds and I am not in anyway shape or
form affiliated with Bragi. I am also not an expert so please take my words with a grain of salt ;)

Been testing these for 3.5hrs now...

After updating with the latest firmware 2.1, I must say that the Dash is very promising!

Watched and read reviews after reviews on how the connection was unstable and such but with the
2.1 FW, I didnt experience any drop out. Put my 7+ on my back jeans left pocket, military pants left knee
pocket, on a leather sachel worn to my left torso, even a fanny pack with the 7+ placed on the left side
and i didnt experience any drop out on the connection. Sound quality is perfect for my taste. Low end is
deep and punchy, mids are clear and highs are crystal without distorting even at the highest volume.
Oh and the highest volume is Really LOUD!

Havent played a lot with the other features such as Audio transparency, Health tracking and swipe controls
but so far, I think they are spot on.

I tested water resistance by washing them under running running water and just shook them and inserted
them to my ears. So far, everything is running fine and no audible problems has been encountered.

I will test some more and keep my mini review updated.

Please stay tuned! :)

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I am not sure why some folks think we will not see the Beats X before the AirPods, Solo 3 Wireless and PB3 are here so .....
Because unlike the airpods the Beats X are finished. I'm based in the U.K. and all manner of celebs have them already. Even one I know who isn't overly famous has it , full packaging and everything.
Apple are holding the release back because due to their price they simply do not want them on sale before the Airpods

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.