Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I'm glad you got well so fast, thanks for sharing your experience, indeed my diagnosis was super fast too - and I got the impression that it was an expected situation - even before the doctor looked into my ear, when I mentioned worries related to earphones, he knew what to expect

Afaik, q-tips are generally risky too, I don't use them myself, but when you have this condition, I assume it was similar, the ear starts pushing off grease much much more than usual, in hindsight, I probably should've seen the doctor much earlier, but I was really busy, and really hoped I would recover on my own, so if anyone else experiences it, best to get it checked up as soon as possible
Ok this is way off topic but my gosh I keep getting told to not use q tips but I find having ear wax gross. So I q tip for years lol.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Now I've heard it all...

This was NOT caused by Airpods. If your doctor is suggesting it is, you may want to find a new doctor.

Just an FYI for anybody reading this, the key here is the OP said he was wearing them for 5 TO 6 HOURS per DAY! That's an excessive time for anything to be in OR over your ears. The bluetooth is irrelevant here, even wearing Over the ear headphones for 5 to 6 hours is going to cause issues.

kaans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
I've only now been able to somehow heal by the way, hoping the issues won't return again, went through 4 different antibiotics overall, the issues spread, I even got a blood test fearing leukemia or something of that nature, until 2 weeks ago, my right hear was still heating from time to time, at this point I'll try to leave the issue in the past, by eating extremely healthy and exercising regularly

Haven't seen these before:

Whether the actual cause was Airpods or not, which is probably impossible to prove, I believe using Airpods for long durations triggered the issue, I believe those who blatantly deny even the possibility of health risks are likely associated with pr agencies working for Apple

Whatever the case, my suggestion is, only using them for occasional phone calls and not using them if possible

polyun7

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Valencia, CA
I’m having a similar issue with my left ear. Have been going to sleep with one AirPod in and recently was diagnosed with an ear infection. I’m on my second round of antibiotics with no improvement after two weeks. Which antibiotics ended working for you? Or was it the ear drops? Any advice would be appreciated.

kaans

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
I’m having a similar issue with my left ear. Have been going to sleep with one AirPod in and recently was diagnosed with an ear infection. I’m on my second round of antibiotics with no improvement after two weeks. Which antibiotics ended working for you? Or was it the ear drops? Any advice would be appreciated.

Antibiotics had 0 effect for my ear, in the end I wish I didn't take any of them - every body has different reactions to different antibiotics so I can't comment (I especially regret the 4th antibiotics I was prescribed at the emergency, when they see an almost exploding ear, the only course for doctors is to prescribe antibiotics)

Pain killers did help me more, they prevent swelling, let the body fight it more easier

I'd suggest not using any earphones for a long while and enduring through the process

Even after 3 months, I sometimes still get ear pain, but very temporarily - Let me know how your journey goes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.