Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
It uses Bluetooth to connect so should have the same range as Bluetooth devices in general, which in my experience at least has been further than I've ever needed! :)
The W1 chip extends that quite a bit. My old Bluetooths I'd lose connectivity when I walked into the break room which is about 80' from my desk-I'd lose the signal as soon as I left our room. With my Powerbeats3 that also have the W1 chip they stay connected all the way into the break room around the corner (the 2nd wall kills it)

Reactions: Brookzy

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
The W1 chip extends that quite a bit. My old Bluetooths I'd lose connectivity when I walked into the break room which is about 80' from my desk-I'd lose the signal as soon as I left our room. With my Powerbeats3 that also have the W1 chip they stay connected all the way into the break room around the corner (the 2nd wall kills it)
I thought the W1 just dealt with 'admin' work if you will (syncing, multiple pairing) and that the connection itself was still standard spec-compliant Bluetooth?

Otherwise for it to impact range beyond the existing capabilities of Bluetooth it would need W1-style chips in both client and host.

I guess the only way to find out is by trying the AirPods with a non-Apple host device to see if it reduces the range.

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Well, I do remember reading that all of extra capabilities of the chip required os10 or Sierra, otherwise they just acted like normal Bluetooth. I'll see if I can find some documentation to support my observations. Be right back :)
What I found
One big advantage of the W1 chip is that it can pick up signal from a much greater distance than its predecessor. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...hip-how-is-it-different-from-powerbeats-2.htm
I've also seen references to Apple actually including part of the new BT5 standard in the chip, or at least it's a different class of BT that has a greater range. I'm not that technical to understand all the differences. I couldn't find any tear down articles of the W1 chip. So it would be interesting to see if the greater range worked on a non os10/macOS Sierra machine.

Last edited:

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Well, I do remember reading that all of extra capabilities of the chip required os10 or Sierra, otherwise they just acted like normal Bluetooth. I'll see if I can find some documentation to support my observations. Be right back :)
You're definitely right that it needs Sierra/iOS 10 to facilitate the features provided by the W1 chip, but I'm unsure as to whether that includes increased range. It might do though!

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Powerbeats 3 have a much increased range and stable connection over the 2s, thanks to the W1 chip.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Powerbeats 3 have a much increased range and stable connection over the 2s, thanks to the W1 chip.
I'm sure they do, but how do you know it's because of the W1? I'm sorry to be a pain but I haven't read anything that said the W1 gave better range... my B&O bluetooth speaker has three times the range of my B&O earphones but it isn't because of a W1 chip, it's just because it's a better/more powerful Bluetooth chip.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
I am one of those lucky enough to be getting mine on Monday (and with 10% student discount at that), but I am tempted if John lewis or Currys offer these next week, to buy from them, as they usually allow you to purchase relatively cheap accidental cover.

(My current wireless earphones have been replaced at Curry's 3 times in last 2.5 years! The pair was £150 so it was money well spent on it).

How much does the small insurance normally cost Currys?
[doublepost=1481841277][/doublepost]
How did you get a student discount? I tried using the student site and I contacted the customer service and they said they don't offer student or military discount on AirPods.

On the student website via nus link they were £142 since they were announced. They stayed that price for a few hrs when they went live but then changed to £159

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
How much does the small insurance normally cost Currys?
[doublepost=1481841277][/doublepost]

On the student website via nus link they were £142 since they were announced. They stayed that price for a few hrs when they went live but then changed to £159
The fact they removed the student discount shortly after taking orders (implying the discount was initially offered erroneously) makes me think that this comment from John Gruber is very true.

At $159, I think the margins on AirPods are very low. Maybe even break-even territory.

We're certainly getting our money's worth on these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.