Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirPods or Bose QC35

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Obviously these are two completely different types of headphones, but if you could only buy one of the two and not any other, which one would you choose and why?

Reactions: artfossil

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
AirPods. I appreciate that they’re NOT voice cancelling. I can pop one in and continue working and getting stuff done. They may not sound the best but work perfect for me on and off the phone all day. Can pop back in case and recharge and use other pod until my favorite one is charged lol.
I agree. Though I have to turn them up on the bus and while walking around Seattle I am still able to interact. I use them for my 10 hour shifts at work and get the best of both worlds, my listening to whatever and interaction with coworkers wire free.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
The Bose have a nice sound too them and are quite comfy. The Bose Connect app allows you to adjust the noise cancelling between off, low, and standard. However, the convenience of the AirPods cannot be overlooked. There is also the difference in price. AirPods MSRP of $159 or Bose of $349 (both in US$). Unless noise cancellation, or over the ear design are a big deciding factor for you I would say the AirPods are the go-to choice.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you're an iPhone owner, the AirPods are simply made for this device with the convenience of pairing, Siri capabilities, you can monitor the battery life from your iPhone, and they work flawlessly. One thing about the AirPods, is they are amazingly comfortable and lightweight where you don't even realize you're wearing them. My favorite item released by Apple in the last year.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
That’s a hard choice. When the need to drown out noise and just enjoy the audio coming through with great comfort then the qc35. When the need for daily use then the AirPods. So guess, AirPods just because it’s easy to use, would be used on the daily and cheaper.

Reactions: jagooch and michial

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I fly a lot so the Bose QC35s are a lifesaver.

Tomorrow is my first trip with the Bluetooth version and my iPhone X, looking forward to going wireless for the first time.

batrush

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2017
The QC35s are one of the very few electronics that have impressed me in the past decade. The noise cancellation is a lifestyle changer. The AirPods are just a wireless version the EarPods you've been using forever. I prefer the connection process of the QC35's too. You just turn them on and they connect to the devices you've registered, no need to fumble in the control center/app.

Honestly if you have the budget for the QC35's don't even bother with AirPods. They're a nice product and probably the best if you're looking for wireless earbuds, but with the mediocre audio quality and discomfort they bring after a while in your ears, they're just no way I can recommend them over the QC35s.

Reactions: jagooch

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
While not QC35s, I do own a pair of noise canceling headphones that fit over the ears. While they are nice, I opted for the airpods because they are light, the case fits in my pocket for easy transport and they sound good enough to please me. Cost is also a factor and a nearly $200 price difference between the airpods and the QC35s would make the QC35s out of my reach.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
This is an very odd vote. Two completely different headsets. You buy the QC-35 because of noise canceling and as long as AirPods don't do noise canceling, they are no alternative to QC-35, not matter what other features they bring to the table.

Reactions: jagooch and chabig

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I have a pair of Airpods while my sister has the QC35, so I had a chance to compare them directly. Ideally they can both coexist very well, but if I had to choose just one, it's easily the Airpods. They're so unobtrusive that half the time I even forget I have them in my ears, not to mention they sound pretty damn good for what they are.

d_c53tes

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
Northern Ireland
I have the Bose QC35ii and they really are fantastic. I also use the Bose “Soundsport Free” when training or don’t want to have to carry the bulk. Both highly recommended.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
I bought the Airpods because:
- I don't usually need noise cancelling where I am.
- smaller and more portable earphones.
- cheaper.

But having said that, I would like to have both for different occasions.

Reactions: Meltdownblitz

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I have both. I use AirPods as iPhone extensions nearly every day. I use the Bose on airplanes and when I need active noise cancelling.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Before you buy Bose, look at Sony WH-1000XM2'S. My opinion is they are MUCH BETTER than Bose.
Yes, the constant comparison between those two on the internet. Sony better sound and feature, Bose better comfort. Both still too expensive for what I am willing to spend at the moment, have to wait for an off chance of a great sale.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I have AirPods and the Bose QC25 (or whatever number the wired in-ear ones are). I love the Bose, but they are for specific purposes... on airplanes or trying to sleep in noisy places. For everyday use, I don’t want noise cancelling. Both for safety when out and about and also because when I’m at home I’m typically on video conference and I hate the way it sounds (loud and weird) when I talk while wearing headphones that keep the sound in too much.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I have both and use them for differnent things. When I'm walking around where a casual walk or doing tasks around the house, I like the airpods. They are light, don't make my ears hurt after prolonged wear , and easy to pair with other Apple devices.

I use my QC35's when I need to block out conversations around me at work or on a plane, when I want higher sound quality, or when I need to plug into a device like my Xbox One controller for wireless game audio.

The use cases for these headphone do not intersect, so you should probably get both. Since I value noise isolation more than convenience, I voted for QC35's. Get those first and the airpods later if you need sound isolation.

It may seem weird, but I wear Airpods during my walk to work ( no driving!!! ) and then I switch to Bose after I get to my desk. I put the Airpods on if I take a walk during my break and when I leave the office to walk home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.