Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirPods or Bose QC35

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
It may seem weird, but I wear Airpods during my walk to work ( no driving!!! ) and then I switch to Bose after I get to my desk. I put the Airpods on if I take a walk during my break and when I leave the office to walk home.
That's a very sensible thing to do. I wouldn't want to walk on the street with noise cancelling QC35 headphones on. It will reduce my awareness of car horns and easier for robber to sneak up behind me to attack me.

Reactions: jagooch

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I have the QC-30s for work and love them. I have some noisy coworkers in the cubes around me so the noise cancelling is a godsend for when I need to focus. Scoring a barely used pair for $200 also helped me chose these over the AirPods.

I really like the design of the AirPods and would probably have bought them if the sound quality was better than the standard EarPods that come with the iPhone. But the so-so sound quality combined with no noise canceling outweigh the convenience benefits in my mind.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
I have both. AirPods get used for hours and hours a day, especially walking around the city, etc. The QC35s are great, but mostly used while studying in a coffee shop or on an airplane.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
I have both and I like them for different things. I find the Bose much more comfortable if I'm using them for long periods, but if I want portable the air pods obviously are easier and my go to choice.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Before you buy Bose, look at Sony WH-1000XM2'S. My opinion is they are MUCH BETTER than Bose.

I second this, I have been using Bose for travel for a long time. Tried out the Sony and not only is the noise cancellation better, the sound quality is better as well (IMHO of course). Bose is great, just a personal preference for me. Where Bose excels is comfort, Sony does get a tad uncomfortable over extended wear, but gives more passive noise cancelation because of this.

I also recently got the AirPods and have to say they are awesome. As people said before it’s use case specific. For every day use, the AirPods can’t be beat. The huge advantage here is the noise canceling mic (pretty amazing) and quick sync / device swap between all Apple devices. You can be using on your iPhone and switch to iPad, AppleTV, and MacBook pretty quickly and seamlessly. I was surprised at how well it worked with the AppleTV. The sound quality is impressive as well, and I am pretty particular.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Have both as well, and the AirPods are definitely used more around the office and majority of my settings. The Bose QC35ii are used when I'm trying to tune out, or during flights.

bubsdaddy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
I have both as well. It would be difficult to recommend one over the other as both are very good for their use case. I use the Airpods more as I don't need noise cancellation often but the Bose sound much better and are indispensable when traveling

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Just did the trick with using 1 pod while on a call so I could have a backup when it started to need a recharge. The house phone's battery died so my cell was the only way to work from home today and be on calls.

Reactions: bobob

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have AirPods and had a set of QC35's that were stolen and now a competing product that is often compared to them.

The AirPods and QC35's can only be compared on the most generic of terms. There functions, features and uses are different across the board.

The AirPods are great when you want/need to be aware of your surroundings. They are great as a bluetooth headset replacement for phone calls (using one at a time) again. They are light weight and tuck away easily and quickly. In their charging case its unlikely they could be damaged.

Conversely the QC35's are great when you don't want to be aware of your surroundings. This is subjective but I don't like phone calls on ANC headphones. I like to hear my own voice so I know how loud I'm talking, I want to hear ambient sounds and I don't like phone calls in stereo (pulling one ear cup off gets uncomfortable). Audio fidelity isn't even comparable and unless you've used high end headphones they will spoil you.

For me I use the AirPods when I'm out in public exercising, walking around town, driving (BT calls), etc. And I used the QC35's on flights/trains/buses for the ANC and/or when I want to just listen to music especially at louder volumes.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
I have just returned my airpods and trying to decide if I should get the QC35 or the new Sony for the same price.

I’ve always been a Bose fan, but I have read and watched videos saying the the Sony headphones are better. Only real reason thar I might go with the Bose is because of comfort and a bit more stylish IMO.

Anyone has tried both?

Volusia

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2016
Central Florida
Another who appreciates that the AirPods are not noise cancelling. I use them while doing things around the house and walking. Be able to hear some things around me is a plus.
I think it really depends on what your primary use will be.

wcroadie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Philly PA
I have just returned my airpods and trying to decide if I should get the QC35 or the new Sony for the same price.

I’ve always been a Bose fan, but I have read and watched videos saying the the Sony headphones are better. Only real reason thar I might go with the Bose is because of comfort and a bit more stylish IMO.

Anyone has tried both?
I bought the QC35's and the noise cancelling broke after 4 days, returned them and got the sony's. The QC35's were a tiny bit more comfortable but I really like the sony's and I got the 1000X and not the X2 as the 1000X were $229 on amazon so I saved a bunch over the bose as well.

I fly all the time for work, sony's work awesome and sound a little better, IMO.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012

Anyone has tried both?

I find Sony’s audio quality to be better if you like well balanced and slightly warmer sound. The noise cancelling is a tad better, you can auto-adjust it based on environment. At first I thought this was a gimmick (particularly the atmospheric pressure optimizer) but it does make a difference.

Comfort goes to Bose, I tend to have to adjust the Sony’s during a long flight.

One thing to note the Sony’s were $50 cheaper but that could have been a sale.

Reactions: wcroadie

wcroadie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Philly PA
I find Sony’s audio quality to be better if you like well balanced and slightly warmer sound. The noise cancelling is a tad better, you can auto-adjust it based on environment. At first I thought this was a gimmick (particularly the atmospheric pressure optimizer) but it does make a difference.

Comfort goes to Bose, I tend to have to adjust the Sony’s during a long flight.

One thing to note the Sony’s were $50 cheaper but that could have been a sale.
Agree 100% But don't misunderstand, the comfort is just fine. I usually wear glasses as well and the sony's work fine with them. Usually just a quick adjustment and I am good to go.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
I bought the QC35's and the noise cancelling broke after 4 days, returned them and got the sony's. The QC35's were a tiny bit more comfortable but I really like the sony's and I got the 1000X and not the X2 as the 1000X were $229 on amazon so I saved a bunch over the bose as well.

I fly all the time for work, sony's work awesome and sound a little better, IMO.
Watch out for potential headband cracking issue with 1000X. X2 has apparently solved this issue.

wcroadie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Philly PA
Watch out for potential headband cracking issue with 1000X. X2 has apparently solved this issue.
Thanks! I did read about that and apparently it only affected certain serial numbers, mine were made after that issue I believe. Regardless I will watch out for it.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
Thanks for all the inputs guys. After nights of reading and watching video reviews, I have decided to go with the newly released Bowers & Wilkins PX. At only $50 more, sound and build quality beat the Bose and Sony. Only departments that I have to sacrifice in are Noise Cancelling and comfort (slightly inferior). I can live with that. I'd rather go with better sound and build quality! I plan to pick them up later after work.

Also, just found out that they will come out with a new B&O Beoplay H9i end of this month. It's at $499 though lol. This one looks promising too.

Last edited:

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
MDR-1000X has been my best purchase, I had the QC35 and gave them to family.

10 hours extra for the new Sony seems like a good improvement but not enough to upgrade from gen 1. No interest in google assistant or siri.

I'd like the WF-1000X if if it had at least 8 hours battery, water resistance 56 or 67 ideally, and without the signal issues that even airpods have for me to buy into that form factor. The sound quality and lack of isolation is too much of a compromise for me. I must say I'm surprised the airpods have become so prevalent. The earpods came with the iPhone so that wasn't a surprise.

wcroadie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
Philly PA
MDR-1000X has been my best purchase, I had the QC35 and gave them to family.

10 hours extra for the new Sony seems like a good improvement but not enough to upgrade from gen 1. No interest in google assistant or siri.

I'd like the WF-1000X if if it had at least 8 hours battery, water resistance 56 or 67 ideally, and without the signal issues that even airpods have for me to buy into that form factor. The sound quality and lack of isolation is too much of a compromise for me. I must say I'm surprised the airpods have become so prevalent. The earpods came with the iPhone so that wasn't a surprise.
I like the earpods that come with the iphones, they are my goto daily "headphones" and if I didn't need over the ear and noise cancellation for frequent travel, I would be all over the air pods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.