Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I dropped the right airpod 4 times and the left one once, in the past 27 days - since I bought them on May'1 2017. Never dropped the case though. As for me, I dropped them while removing a shirt or while taking them off the case; all while I was indoor, all from about. 3 - 6 feet height.

Not sure if I'm being careless or if this is common to other people as well. I've seen the video of everythingapplepro where he does a drop test and way more than that; so I guess these babies are pretty durable. I'm not worried in that.

I'm just curious here about other Airpods owner, if you guys have dropped your pairs yet. Have you ?

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I dropped mine once. No damage at all. Apple uses a higher Grade of durable plastic, so they would be difficult to break physically, aside from the internal components. The case on the other hand would worry me if I dropped it, mainly being the cover coukd break off. Fortunately I have not dropped that either.

Reactions: Sovon Halder

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The pods themselves are light and won't sustain regular drops. Maybe from the Empire State Building they would be damage (someone please film that). The case it self dropped and had a small little dent. Not big enough to notice. I put a skin to make it less slippery.

Dropping the pods themselves, I would be concerned about dropping it and not be able to find it like a drainage hole. But the times I've gotten them knocked out of my ears were when I was changing out of my sweatshirt. Solution: take off pods while changing.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I haven't dropped mine yet but I wouldn't be too concerned if I did. The case however is a different story. I'd be pissed off if I damaged it. The buds themselves seem durable enough to me although I have been extra careful while in the kitchen. I would hate to drop my $159 investment into a greasy pan.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I haven't dropped mine yet but I wouldn't be too concerned if I did. The case however is a different story. I'd be pissed off if I damaged it. The buds themselves seem durable enough to me although I have been extra careful while in the kitchen. I would hate to drop my $159 investment into a greasy pan.

Each AirPod costs $69.00 to replace and the battery case is also $69.00 to replace if lost or damaged. Surprisingly, I thought the battery case would be more costly.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
How long have you been using the Airpods?

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Dropped case and airpods many times. They do look worned now but working fine. Once I dropped the case in my bedroom and one of the airpods ended up under my bed and I almost had an heart attack when I opened the case and one was missing.

filipe.esposito

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
I've dropped my AirPods on the ground a few times, just got a few scratches, but they still working normally so far. I'm more afraid with someone stepping on them when they fall on the floor lol

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
many times. I use when when I drive my Vespa around under my full-face helmet. Taking the helmet off has dislodged the pods many times. No damage yet. (P.s. I've figured how to take off with disrupting, and in general, the pods are great for motorcycles and biking as you can easily use just one).

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
I dropped the case and put a gash in it so I decided to buy a case

418f1aa5a7b292dcff074bdcd42d90df.jpg
3712bd38a15305542558da4d20a49913.jpg
00902efd70cc59d8391febe6d7cc63dc.jpg
c1077c685d77b0f7b5931c0a3b616bd1.jpg

Mark50

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Dropped case and airpods many times. They do look worned now but working fine. Once I dropped the case in my bedroom and one of the airpods ended up under my bed and I almost had an heart attack when I opened the case and one was missing.
Hi Twinlight,
I’ve been trying to figure out if they can come out of the case when dropped because I opened my case on a flight to see both gone! I had dropped the case at airport security before putting in the plastic tray but didn’t see them come out and was very confused. So this is possible!!

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Yes its possible! Have happened maybe two more times for me now. Had tea at work a couple of weeks ago and dropped one of the AirPods when getting up from the chair. Saw it hitting the table and bouncing over my tea cup. It was a close call!

Mark50

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Yes its possible! Have happened maybe two more times for me now. Had tea at work a couple of weeks ago and dropped one of the AirPods when getting up from the chair. Saw it hitting the table and bouncing over my tea cup. It was a close call!
I’ve written to the airport lost and found hoping that if they came out of the case when it hit the floor they might be under the table. It’s a long shot but it would be a great story if they find them as well as save me £130!!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
It does pop out. Not all the time. I use a small coin holder I bought while traveling in asia to hold my airpods.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Do you mean a coin holder that you put the AirPod case in?
Yes. I’ve never used it as a coin holder but it’s made out of leather and has kept it secure and nice. There’s a zipper the secured everything and helps keep lint out. I rarely carry cash and don’t like handling coins so it was sitting in my drawer for a few years until the airpods made this litttle holder useful to me.

Reactions: Mark50

Nathan King

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2016
Omaha, NE
I've dropped the left and right pods on a few occasions. They scuffed slightly but still work perfectly. One fell in a puddle while jogging in the rain when I wiped the side of my head without thinking. Thankfully there was no damage.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Have dropped both pods and the case a few times, but only indoors.
Nothing have happened to mine either, nor with the case.
Seem to hold on to them with more thought outside.
I love them.

Last edited:

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Has anyone experienced the volume of the AirPods being lowered after a drop?

I've had a couple of different AirPods now, and I've unfortunately dropped all of them. After some more significant drops, I've suspected that I've had the volume lowered on them a bit. I use them with MacOS, and I've had to move the volume slider up quite a bit to get the same volume pressure as before.

The strange thing is that it seems to me that even if I just dropped one of them, both would be affected by the relative loss in volume setting. Either they have some sort of volume-sensing ability between each other, or I'm making this up (which I'm not counting out, as hearing can be a very subjective thing and be influenced by biases).

So I'm very curious to learn if anyone else has had this experience.

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
I dropped the right airpod 4 times and the left one once, in the past 27 days - since I bought them on May'1 2017. Never dropped the case though. As for me, I dropped them while removing a shirt or while taking them off the case; all while I was indoor, all from about. 3 - 6 feet height.

Not sure if I'm being careless or if this is common to other people as well. I've seen the video of everythingapplepro where he does a drop test and way more than that; so I guess these babies are pretty durable. I'm not worried in that.

I'm just curious here about other Airpods owner, if you guys have dropped your pairs yet. Have you ?
Yep. I’ve dropped the case on tile several times and I’ve dropped the AirPods in dirt a few times without any damage. They’re slippery.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
N
Has anyone experienced the volume of the AirPods being lowered after a drop?

I've had a couple of different AirPods now, and I've unfortunately dropped all of them. After some more significant drops, I've suspected that I've had the volume lowered on them a bit. I use them with MacOS, and I've had to move the volume slider up quite a bit to get the same volume pressure as before.

The strange thing is that it seems to me that even if I just dropped one of them, both would be affected by the relative loss in volume setting. Either they have some sort of volume-sensing ability between each other, or I'm making this up (which I'm not counting out, as hearing can be a very subjective thing and be influenced by biases).

So I'm very curious to learn if anyone else has had this experience.
Never heard of anything like this before. I've dropped mine 4-5 times. Not as much as most people though.

The best thing you can do is to compare it side by side, with another pair of Airpods, listen at same volume and ask a friend to compare the same. They are lightweight but very sturdy. Trust me, I've dropped them individually and along with case, from some 6-7 feet height (not waist height) and they never had any issue.

The only issue I have is that the battery life degrades after a year or so. It comes down to around 3 hours from 5 hours.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
I have not dropped mine yet but as soon as I bought them I got a hard case to put them in as I fear one day I will drop the case, I’m not worried about dropping the buds as they are light & well built, I wouldn’t like dents in my case, it’s a hard case that just fits over nicely, I went with black as it matches my Xs...
1132C533-76FD-42A8-AB41-B0EAE3FA93E0.jpeg

Adam.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
I lost count the number of times I have dropped them. They still work ok. I think I may replace the Left or just get a brand new one. I dropped the case once or twice

I am surprised how durable it is eventhough it is light and seem very fragile. I only wish the new case would allow me to put a silicone cover on the buds so it can be charged with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.