Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Difficult to say as they are completely different. I have both. I would give the slight edge to the AirPods Max when it comes to ANC and for sound quality the AirPods Max are significantly better. I think they both have different use cases though. The AirPods pro are obviously more convenient to use but the Max have a more immersive sound. I use both outside. Tend to use the maxes more in winter and pros more in summer.

Reactions: uczcret and throAU

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Two entirely different classes of device - in ear vs. over ear and one doesn't really replace the other. However if you're looking at over-ear headphones, i wasn't THAT impressed with the Airpods max vs. my Sony WH1000XM4s at less than half the price.

Are they "as good". Maybe not. But close enough for me at half cost - and a friend used the XM3 version for 5+ years and they're still working fine for him. So was pretty confident with the reliability potential of them. As is, i think my XM4s are 2-3 years old now and still good as new.

I have 1st gen Airpod pros for exercise and casual listening - different use case.

Rradcircless

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
Has anyone used either of these for gaming? How is the latency? I assume not that great, since it is only Bluetooth.
Child, I use a wire for gaming with AirPods Max. They are the one stop shop for me. The volume control is very useful, and the noise cancellation is top notch. I also notice Spatial Audio works great with AirPods Max. When I’m looking for something and I don’t know where it is, I stop and listen for the direction it’s coming from. Think collectibles that emit a sound or bracing yourself for a beast that attacks you from behind. AirPods Max are fantastic for gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.