Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My first gen AirPods Pro's were amazing switching between M2 MacBook Air, M2 MacBook Pro, iPhone 13 mini, multiple Apple TV 4Ks, and a Apple Watch.

I have since 'Upgraded' to the USB-C AirPod Pro 2nd Gens and they won't switch between devices once they have been paired to a single device. I can't even manually switch them with the sound output icon. To get them to switch, I have to put them back in the case, open the lid, open the new device and hold the button on the back of the AirPods Pro case to get them to pair.

I have tried the following:-Restarted everything I own

-Reset Network Settings on my iPhone

-Restarted my home network

-Turned off Wifi

-Turned off Bluetooth

-Hard Reset the AirPods themselves

-Signed out of iCloud and signed back in on all devices

-Made sure 2FA is enabled

-Forgot the AirPods on all devices and repaired via Bluetooth

-Updated Operating System of all devices to the latest.

These things are so frustrating!

Brand new with AppleCare + too

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
where did you buy them?

when selecting them in the sound output is the icon a pair of AirPods, or the bluetooth symbol.

it's possible you got a knockoff, inspect the case closely for spelling errors. and maybe compare to an online image.

About the only 100% way to make sure you're getting genuine is to get them directly from Apple.

also make sure the firmware on the aipods is updated, I think the current version is 6b34 (my case is 61.3.0, I've got the older gen 2 lightning case and AirPods, so yours may be different) . When your case is open (or the pods are out of the case) you'll get a new airpod section at the top of the main settings app on your phone. Scroll down to the bottom and you should see the version listed, you'll have to click to get the case version.

If you're on an older version, put the AirPods and your phone on a charger and close to each other. They should update fairly soon. There is no way to manually force it to start, but should happen quickly. Definitely under an hour.

Last edited:

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Resolved: They are indeed Fakes.
I bought them from Ebay, here:

Took them to an apple service center today they confirmed the serial has shown up in their 'repair'' queue about 50 times. Seems like someone went through the trouble of buying a real set with AppleCare, and then assigning the serial number to these and a bunch of others.

Pretty clever, but I already filed a eBay/Paypal dispute and purchased a genuine pair from BestBuy for $189 today.

Some things that were off that I noticed after comparing them to a BNIB set.
The back of the case of the genuine Pro's says assembled in Taiwan. The fake says China.
The sounds each case makes is different. Close, but different.
On the fakes, I couldn't get the Case version to show up on bluetooth info.

I was also skeptical after trying to update the firmware for 4 hours using both the plug into Mac and charging/synced with iPhone. No dice.

Last edited:

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Resolved: They are indeed Fakes.
I bought them from Ebay, here:

Took them to an apple service center today they confirmed the serial has shown up in their 'repair'' queue about 50 times. Seems like someone went through the trouble of buying a real set with AppleCare, and then assigning the serial number to these and a bunch of others.

Pretty clever, but I already filed a eBay/Paypal dispute and purchased a genuine pair from BestBuy for $189 today.

Some things that were off that I noticed after comparing them to a BNIB set.
The back of the case of the genuine Pro's says assembled in Taiwan. The fake says China.
The sounds each case makes is different. Close, but different.
On the fakes, I couldn't get the Case version to show up on bluetooth info.

I was also skeptical after trying to update the firmware for 4 hours using both the plug into Mac and charging/synced with iPhone. No dice.
Interesting. When you first opened them up, did they pair to the phone like real AirPods do? Like with that popup that shows the unpaired AirPods?

Reactions: kppolich

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Yep, they did a whole lot of things that the genuine pair did when I paired them with my iPhone. Pretty crazy someone would go through all that trouble.

Big giveaway now that I look at it is the Bluetooth Info menu on the fakes doesn't include all of the setup options and I could never update the firmware.

Reactions: mk313
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.