Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crypthick

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
Hey people! Did a search but couldn’t find an answer….

Will apple sell a usb c updated case for a AirPod pro 2 and will you buy one?

For me it’s a huge yes although I’m expecting it to be £80

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
To my knowledge, Apple doesn't sell standalone AirPods Pro cases, they only offer it for the standard AirPods. So I expect Apple to release an updated version of AirPods Pro with USB-C, but not to sell separately the case. I won't change my APP2 only for the USB-C port, but I might buy the case if it's sold separately.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
I am not sure that they will sell the standalone case for the APP2, it is a possibility, but the general public has no idea until the day of the Apple event. I will not buy a new pair if the only change is the USB-C port. If it is sold separately, it's a possibility but no guarantee. My iPhone will have USB-C but if my APP2 case doesn't, it isn't the end of the world. Most of the time I use my watch charger to charge my AirPods.

Reactions: tunastink

crypthick

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
To my knowledge, Apple doesn't sell standalone AirPods Pro cases, they only offer it for the standard AirPods. So I expect Apple to release an updated version of AirPods Pro with USB-C, but not to sell separately the case. I won't change my APP2 only for the USB-C port, but I might buy the case if it's sold separately.
You may well be right, I just remember on a couple of occasions where they’ve sold a case separately, I think when they added wireless charging?

crypthick

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
I am not sure that they will sell the standalone case for the APP2, it is a possibility, but the general public has no idea until the day of the Apple event. I will not buy a new pair if the only change is the USB-C port. If it is sold separately, it's a possibility but no guarantee. My iPhone will have USB-C but if my APP2 case doesn't, it isn't the end of the world. Most of the time I use my watch charger to charge my AirPods.
Very good point about the watch charger, I tend to use that also but always like to think ahead as I’m pretty forgetful 😂

Reactions: Djones96

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
You may well be right, I just remember on a couple of occasions where they’ve sold a case separately, I think when they added wireless charging?
If I recall correctly, they only sold the wireless charging case for the 2nd gen AirPods, I don't think they ever sold a standalone case for the AirPods Pro lineup. But I may very well be wrong

Reactions: Djones96

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I believe I read charging won’t be any faster with USB-C. Is this true? This would be the only reason I’d replay my Gen 2 with the Lightning connector.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
I believe I read charging won’t be any faster with USB-C. Is this true? This would be the only reason I’d replay my Gen 2 with the Lightning connector.
Unless they add other features to the new APP with usb case ?

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Although I held out hope so I could change all my items to USB-C, with the announcement of the bonus feature being only present in the APP 2nd gen with USB-C, I no longer believe that they might offer the case for sale standalone. The 'new feature' which is lossless audio when connected to Vision Pro - so very very case specific - is only a feature for the APP in the USB-C charging case. That will not come in a firmware update and is not present in the lightning case edition of APP 2nd gen. And for that reason, I don't believe a standalone case will be offered.

Reactions: fwmireault

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
You can buy it via Repair & Service for sure … but I highly recommend and would wait first for first people checking if these cases are interchangeable (gen 2 lightning and usb-c).
Actually I am even not sure if they will replace lightning one with usb-c 😅 but as always there is an option to repair battery in AirPods which people tends to forget (as always it’s a replacement for new ones / refurb )

Reactions: crypthick

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I don’t think I will be upgrading. I mostly wirelessly charge them. I will wait till i lose them or they break.

Reactions: judyg951

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Although I held out hope so I could change all my items to USB-C, with the announcement of the bonus feature being only present in the APP 2nd gen with USB-C, I no longer believe that they might offer the case for sale standalone. The 'new feature' which is lossless audio when connected to Vision Pro - so very very case specific - is only a feature for the APP in the USB-C charging case. That will not come in a firmware update and is not present in the lightning case edition of APP 2nd gen. And for that reason, I don't believe a standalone case will be offered.
I agree with that. There is also certified dust resistance for the USB-C version of APP2, so an additional reason to not offer any standalone case

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I agree with that. There is also certified dust resistance for the USB-C version of APP2, so an additional reason to not offer any standalone case

What if you lose your Lightning case and need a replacement? At some point, they're going to run out of inventory of the Lightning case.

Reactions: mizzourah

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
It’s happening ☺️ is anyone buying?
When the updated AirPods Pro 2 were announced with the USB-C case, I couldn’t wait for the case to become available as a stand-alone accessory. Now that it’s finally available, I don’t really feel like spending $100, particularly since my wife still uses a lightning cable to charge her work phone. Since I always charge my APP2 at home, I could think of a few better ways to spend $100.

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2020
I ordered the case and received it today. $100 is a bit steep for what it is, but nice to have everything in USB-C. Then again, what Apple product is cheap?

Moving the AirPods was easy- first open the lid in the old airpods case and hold the button for 15 seconds to reset them. Then, move AirPods to new case and pair.

Case came with 11% battery though, so I’m charging via USB-C as I type.

bookcase

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
I just bought my APP 2 last summer and was going to pass on the new case because I usually use an old Apple Watch charger at home. But I took an overnight trip this past weekend and forgot to bring a lightning cord -- I was able to use my USB-C cord for my iPhone and iPad Mini. (My watch Series 9 holds a charge for 2 days, so I didn't bring that charger either.) So I bought the new case as soon as I got home. It's expensive, but it's easier. I'll take my lightning case to Apple to recycle.

I refuse to buy anything going forward that isn't USB-C.

Reactions: F308gt4

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
I am considering upgrading my lighting case. I just went through fiasco of losing one airpod and then replacing it which didnt work and then Apple Store replaced both airpods, so essentially have new pods in old lightning case. I absolutely prefer USB C and my ipad and phone are, so some incentive to totally ditch lightning. One small question does the replacement case come with the nice apple woven usb-c cable?

bookcase

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Boston, MA
I am considering upgrading my lighting case. I just went through fiasco of losing one airpod and then replacing it which didnt work and then Apple Store replaced both airpods, so essentially have new pods in old lightning case. I absolutely prefer USB C and my ipad and phone are, so some incentive to totally ditch lightning. One small question does the replacement case come with the nice apple woven usb-c cable?
I just got mine. It comes in a box just like the APP 2, and it does include the woven USB-C cable. Just be prepared to charge the case first thing: mine was at 8%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.