Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redshift42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2024
Problem started with my Airpods Pro v1, they suddenly stopped playing audio from sources like Music, Audible, YouTube. What was really bizarre was that system sounds like keyboard clicks, screen lock noises, even phone calls worked normally. Extensive searching seemed to lead to quite a few reports of this conditions, but the only solution offered involved forgetting the device, holding down the button on the back of the charging case to reset the Airpods, then re-pairing. It seems like a straight forward enough fix, except that it absolutely would not resolve the issue! And yes, I rebooted my phone, checked for software updates and so on.

I tried a set of el cheapo Anker SoundCore buds and they work 100% fine. I lived with them for a couple of months, but really missed my AirPods.

Fast forward a couple of months, I got a new set of Airpods Pro v2 USB-C on a good deal which I was happily using for about 2 months with no issues. Yesterday out of the blue the exact same condition started happening with the new ones! I again tried the steps I mentioned before and it has done nothing to resolve my issue. At least this time, these new Airpods are under warranty and I can go let the geniuses try to sort this out.

Phone is a iPhone 15 Pro Max for the record.

I thought before I go that route it might be worth asking here for any other troubleshooting ideas. Thanks folks.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
not sure, but I'd look in the accessibility settings, sounds like something that might happen in there.

you can add some of those options to control center, so it's possibly you have one there, and accidentally hit it.

resetting the AirPods also usually clears accessibility settings (like noise canceling with one airpod) so that might explain why resetting fixes it for a while, until you accidentally hit that button in the control center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.