Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotr32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
PA
Is it crazy to have a set of AirPods for every phone you carry? (Obviously for the ones that carry multiple phones). Asking for a friend. But seriously, is it too much to have a set for every phone? I know you can pair a set to multiple phones, but I find it slightly inconvenient using a device and then having your AirPods try to connect to another device when you don’t want it to.
Just looking to see if anyone has multiple sets for multiple phones. Thanks!

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
I mean, one set of AirPods should be enough. You can also disable automatic switching if it becomes a problem.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you have multiple sets they will still all be on the same Apple ID, and therefore will still automatically switch devices even if you first pair them with separate phones. So in the end, it doesn't solve the problem.

Just get one set.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I use 2 phones with 2 different Apple ID. I can’t use my AirPods Pro on both of hones, this is very frustrating.

The only solution is to use the same Apple ID, which is not something I willing to do.

I have another pair of APP in case of emergency.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
I use 2 phones with 2 different Apple ID. I can’t use my AirPods Pro on both of hones, this is very frustrating.

The only solution is to use the same Apple ID, which is not something I willing to do.

I have another pair of APP in case of emergency.
See, if you're using separate Apple ids, you can do it. But with one Apple ID on all phones it doesn't make sense

hotr32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
PA
Out of the 3 devices I have, they all have separate Apple IDs, I know it sounds crazy, but all 3 have to have separate Apple ids, for business reasons.

samthegreat

Suspended
Sep 12, 2023
Japan
Haha I can see the appeal of dedicated AirPods for each phone, but it does seem a bit excessive unless you've really got the money to burn! Sharing between a couple devices is convenient. Maybe a good compromise would be keeping one set dedicated to your primary phone, and sharing a second set between other devices. That way you get the benefits of separate pairs without going overboard. As long as switching audio output between devices doesn't bother you too much, one per phone isn't really necessary IMO. But if it saves hassle and you've got the funds, more power to you!

hotr32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
PA
It’s not like I have a bunch of extra money to burn, I already have AirPod Pros for my primary phone, and I use my personal 2nd gen AirPods (which I owned already) for my company supplied device, and I have a personal secondary device, and I came across a colleague of mine who would sell me his 3rd gen AirPods for half off since he upgraded to AirPod Pros.
And yes, if I go through with this, Mon thru Friday between the hours of 8am - 5pm, I will have in my possession 3 phones and 3 sets of AirPods, thank goodness I only carry 2 iPads, I think carrying 3 iPads would be completely ridiculous! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
It’s not like I have a bunch of extra money to burn, I already have AirPod Pros for my primary phone, and I use my personal 2nd gen AirPods (which I owned already) for my company supplied device, and I have a personal secondary device, and I came across a colleague of mine who would sell me his 3rd gen AirPods for half off since he upgraded to AirPod Pros.
And yes, if I go through with this, Mon thru Friday between the hours of 8am - 5pm, I will have in my possession 3 phones and 3 sets of AirPods, thank goodness I only carry 2 iPads, I think carrying 3 iPads would be completely ridiculous! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I thought you said you were asking for a friend ;)

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Haha I can see the appeal of dedicated AirPods for each phone, but it does seem a bit excessive unless you've really got the money to burn! Sharing between a couple devices is convenient. Maybe a good compromise would be keeping one set dedicated to your primary phone, and sharing a second set between other devices. That way you get the benefits of separate pairs without going overboard. As long as switching audio output between devices doesn't bother you too much, one per phone isn't really necessary IMO. But if it saves hassle and you've got the funds, more power to you!

I mean... I have multiple Airpod/Pros - currently Airpods (all 3rd gen) for indoor use, and Pros for outside use (mostly 1st gen). And multiples because sometimes (e.g. marathon/consecutive Teams meetings) I need to switch between pairs one after another, and also because I like them to be lying around in different places.

Unlike OP they're all on the same Apple ID (we're not issued company phones/iPads so MDM for work email is app only) so it doesn't matter which Airpod I pick up, it will connect to whatever device I'm using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.