Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
If you find one and want to return it to the owner, what are you going to do?
I 'm playing with mine and I tried to see with the NFC on another iPhone and an Android

Android doesn't see anything and my friend had NFC on

iPhone sees it and open the web page found apple
There is only your airTag serial # and the instruction
how to take the battery out and disconnect it so the owner will not be able to track you, in case

Ok, I understand that it want to avoid the unwanted person tracking
but what do you need to do if you find an airTag and you need to return it to the owner with the object tied to it?

Update: I found not the AirTag 😉 but the support page
with the instructions...

In case someone else wonder the same

Reactions: artfossil

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
If the owner hasn't provided any information, there is no way (as far as I know) to make contact.

I read on one of the Apple sites today that Apple hasn't updated the web interface that displays the needed information, which may be applicable with your question.
It would be interesting to know if you could give an alias of your apple id email, or change it

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
When you put in lost mode it allows you to enter a phone number for the finder to contact. I tried with a coworker yesterday who has android and this worked fine - he was able to read and there was a link to call me.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
When you put in lost mode it allows you to enter a phone number for the finder to contact. I tried with a coworker yesterday who has android and this worked fine - he was able to read and there was a link to call me.
I would rather prefer an email , alias even better than phone #: no choices when you tried it?

Reactions: chabig

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
In my opinion, Apple should provide a link to call the owner of the lost tag. However, said link should not show the actual phone number attached to your Apple ID. That is a safety risk, in my opinion.
Just tried myself and actually you can put a phone number of your choice , not the one you use with your apple id
but still I would rather to have an alias or at least the choice.
Plus we are assuming the person finding the AirTag will know what to do, but not everyone is a tech savvy
Good luck with that.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
It looks like a Skype number is $96 dollars a year.
Possibly - I don't remember how much my number costs. Google Voice is free, but people tend to get twitchy about Google, so I also gave a paid option. There are actually many companies that do the same, I just gave to two with the highest profile.

Edit: I may be paying less for Skype due to Office 365 deals.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
In my opinion, Apple should provide a link to call the owner of the lost tag. However, said link should not show the actual phone number attached to your Apple ID. That is a safety risk, in my opinion.
We are talking about a lost item that you would like to be returned and a finder who is taking the time to contact you to return it …….. why is this a safety risk ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
We are talking about a lost item that you would like to be returned and a finder who is taking the time to contact you to return it …….. why is this a safety risk ?
Because I would rather ere on the side of caution. You never know what someone may be thinking even if they try to contact someone who has lost an item.

If a screwed up person gets a hold of your number, they can (likely) find out where you live. And for a lady, that can pose risks. I don't want to make things a little easier to get robbed, assaulted etc.

You may reply that it all sounds crazy but, the scenario I mentioned happens all the time and results are often bad.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Because I would rather ere on the side of caution. You never know what someone may be thinking even if they try to contact someone who has lost an item.

If a screwed up person gets a hold of your number, they can (likely) find out where you live. And for a lady, that can pose risks. I don't want to make things a little easier to get robbed, assaulted etc.

You may reply that it all sounds crazy but, the scenario I mentioned happens all the time and results are often bad.
Being honest it does sound crazy.

so let’s say you put your email address and the person contacts you to return the lost item, how in your cautious world would you arrange the return of the item ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Being honest it does sound crazy.

so let’s say you put your email address and the person contacts you to return the lost item, how in your cautious world would you arrange the return of the item ?
I would meet the person in a busy public place that is not right on top of where I live, in order to get my item of value back. I wouldn't make it overly easy for said person to follow me home. Should the stranger try something, I have a conceal carry permit. If we are talking about a lady, I would advise she take someone with her to meet the stranger to get a lost item back.

You obviously are more trusting than me. If that works for you, that is fine. I have personally see a lot of screwed up things happen and I believe in taking reasonable precaution.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I would meet the person in a busy public place that is not right on top of where I live, in order to get my item of value back. I wouldn't make it overly easy for said person to follow me home. Should the stranger try something, I have a conceal carry permit. If we are talking about a lady, I would advise she take someone with her to meet the stranger to get a lost item back.

You obviously are more trusting than me. If that works for you, that is fine. I have personally see a lot of screwed up things happen and I believe in taking reasonable precaution.
To be honest, if I found an item and contacted the owner to return it I would want an address to post it to (or maybe drop it off at).

If they started on about meeting up at specific times in public places (especially if they had limitations as to what sort of public place) then I would probably not bother. I'm doing them a favour so I'm not going to jump through hoops.

In your scenario of meeting me at a time and place I would wonder what you are up to and wouldn't want to put myself at that risk.

I don't doubt your concerns, or reasons for this, but I think it would make the return of your item more unlikely.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
To be honest, if I found an item and contacted the owner to return it I would want an address to post it to (or maybe drop it off at).

If they started on about meeting up at specific times in public places (especially if they had limitations as to what sort of public place) then I would probably not bother. I'm doing them a favour so I'm not going to jump through hoops.

I don't doubt your concerns, or reasons for this, but I think it would make the return of your item harder.
I would be ok with posting the item to an address I give. The good thing I can and will provide a burner phone number.

I don't want to get into a long discussion with forum members dissecting my preferences in meeting strangers etc. so I will leave comments of this nature with this post.

Thank you for the civility Keith and ukms.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009

In your scenario of meeting me at a time and place I would wonder what you are up to and wouldn't want to put myself at that risk.

I don't doubt your concerns, or reasons for this, but I think it would make the return of your item more unlikely.
I understand your point of you
We have grown so concerned of each other, because of experience
Nothing is easy on both sides.

guinnessduck

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2020
Personally I'd prefer it gave an e-mail address instead as I generally never answer the phone (unknown numbers go straight to voicemail). It'd be nice to have options. But at the end of the day, getting back my lost item would be of a higher priority.

Reactions: katbel

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.

But that works in the opposite direction as well, why would I, doing someone a favour already by suggesting I'd post them an item, now want to go out of my way to meet a stranger in some place they suggest ? Especially if they are like you and likely to be taking a gun with them! Err, no thanks.
And Why would you, if you are so suspicious?
In any case meeting physically (a strange idea for someone so nervous) maybe wholly impractical for obvious reasons, maybe you left your keys or backpack ina taxi or while you were travelling and they area very long way away

Last edited:

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
But that works in the opposite direction as well, why would I, doing someone a favour already by suggesting I'd post them an item, now want to go out of my way to meet a stranger in some place they suggest ? Especially if they are like you and likely to be taking a gun with them! Err, no thanks.
And Why would you, if you are so suspicious?
In any case meeting physically (a strange idea for someone so nervous) maybe wholly impractical for obvious reasons, maybe you left your keys or backpack ina taxi or while you were travelling and they area very long way away
Just a small note. Just because someone may have a legal concealed carry permit... does not make them a murderous wacko out to shoot the person returning their keys to them. Quite frankly, you'd probably be surprised about the number of legally concealed firearms you pass every single day...without incident.

All that said, It is definitely wise to meet up at a police staton or something just like any stranger encounter (craigslist etc). Or send the person a pre-paid fedex label addressed to your local fedex/kinkos. Or have them drop it off for you at a trusted location like a bar or restaurant where you may know the owner or bartender.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Thinking this through, if I was in the US and someone made it difficult for me to return an item that I had found, I would simply hand it to the local Police station (or whoever deals with found property) and let them trace the owner or the owner trace it from there. My desire to help would quickly subside if someone made it unnecessarily difficult.

Reactions: lordhamster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.