Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
If you find one and want to return it to the owner, what are you going to do?

I don't have an airtag just yet, but what if you lose an airtag and someone who finds
it wants to keep it?

Is that possible?
Like can that person find an airtag, take out the battery, and factory reset it?

Or is a found airtag useless as the airtag is tied to the owners apple account.

Thanks

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I don't have an airtag just yet, but what if you lose an airtag and someone who finds
it wants to keep it?

Is that possible?
Like can that person find an airtag, take out the battery, and factory reset it?

Or is a found airtag useless as the airtag is tied to the owners apple account.

Thanks
No, an airtag con only be attached to an account after it has been released by the existing owner.

Similar to the way someone can't just steal your phone and factory reset it.

Tsara Bomba

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Derry, Northern Ireland
The joys of living in the Northern Ireland / UK.

Growing up with terrorism, car bombings, shootings, it would not take a wrinkle out of me to go meet a stranger and either get my lost property / return lost property.

We might just be a bit more care free. Dont get me wrong we have are fair share of nutters, we also, in Northern Ireland at least have the same rights to own firearms as the states, pistols, rifles, ARs etc and we are allowed to carry them concealed (PPW - personal protection weapon)

I will still gladly pop in the car and meet a random stranger to get my property back - would even offer to buy them a coffee / beer for their trouble.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
The joys of living in the Northern Ireland / UK.

Growing up with terrorism, car bombings, shootings, it would not take a wrinkle out of me to go meet a stranger and either get my lost property / return lost property.

We might just be a bit more care free. Dont get me wrong we have are fair share of nutters, we also, in Northern Ireland at least have the same rights to own firearms as the states, pistols, rifles, ARs etc and we are allowed to carry them concealed (PPW - personal protection weapon)

I will still gladly pop in the car and meet a random stranger to get my property back - would even offer to buy them a coffee / beer for their trouble.
I think posters here are conflating the risks of meeting strangers for things like craigslist transactions... where either party may be carrying valuables. Example an iPhone for sale, or the cash to buy the iPhone. These situations are known to be targets for criminals. But if someone calls you because they found your purse, or your car keys... I don't think they have any negative intent. Even if they did, the situation is overblown. Just tell them to leave it with the store manager at your corner bodega or something. Not rocket surgery.

The existence of firearms and their being brought into this conversation by the other poster is a complete non sequitur. If some maniac who finds my keys wants to murder me, they could just as easily use a kitchen knife, knitting needles, or the sunday new york times.

Reactions: Tsara Bomba
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.