Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWraith

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
Looking to limit my battery being stuck at full all the time on my MBA M3. It is plugged in a lot of the time, so Apple's optimized battery charging sounds nice, but effectively it ends up back at 100% for days and weeks at a time. Al dente seems great, but complicated reading about it—do people find it integrates with Apple's charging logic? Does it work for them? And have they seen an improvement in battery capacity. over time?

SjoukeW

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Netherlands
I use Al Dente to put it to 80%. It works. It doesn't integrate with Apple's logic, it just limits the charge to 80% in my case. Good enough.
I don't have any clue about the battery capacity degradation. My mac is used as a 'couch potato'. Always on the charger unless it is being used on the couch.
Batteries do degrade by age and use, no clue what degrades mine the fastest.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
The same functionality can be accessed via settings>battery in Ventura.
I uninstalled Al Dente 2 days after installing initially.

B.png

SjoukeW

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Netherlands
My macbook doesn't 'learn' to only charge to 80% after a month. Then I switched to al-dente and don't pay much attention to it. Always enough charge in the battery for the hour on the couch anyway :) then back to the charger.

TheWraith

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
I use Al Dente to put it to 80%. It works. It doesn't integrate with Apple's logic, it just limits the charge to 80% in my case. Good enough.
I don't have any clue about the battery capacity degradation. My mac is used as a 'couch potato'. Always on the charger unless it is being used on the couch.
Batteries do degrade by age and use, no clue what degrades mine the fastest.

This sounds a lot like my situation—it's basically almost always a 'desktop' that has the feature that I can travel with it and very occasionally use the battery.

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Al Dente really messed with my battery health. I finally uninstalled it and am now just using the built in settings in MacOS that do the same thing.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2024-04-09 at 14.56.33@2x.png
    CleanShot 2024-04-09 at 14.56.33@2x.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 96

Akira1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2023
I use BatFi after Al Dente stopped working on log in (wouldn't automatically boot at login)

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
  1. Yes
  2. Excellent
Apple's Optimized Charging is ridiculous because it only works if you either never ever unplug your Mac from the outlet or never ever deviate from a completely rigid charging routine. Ergo not how anyone who needs a laptop actually uses a laptop. Now I'm sure Apple may argue that varied use negates the need for an 80% hard limit, but this is patently false since they added it to iPhone (arbitrarily feature rationed behind an anti-consumer hardware upgrade but that's another conversation).

I have a lifetime AlDente Pro license as I regard it as the first most essential installation on a MacBook. The Pro version brings excellent features, especially to the menu bar configuration and information options.

ETA: Without AlDente my battery health plummeted from new to 90% in two years. A further four years later, with AlDente onboard, it averages ~92%. Only potential foible I find is that I need to flex the battery up to 100% from time to time or it will begin losing reported charge accuracy. The Pro version has a calibration mode to help with this if you desire. After recalibrating, my reported charge level accuracy is always restored to normal.

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Exactly. Apple should have add the hard limit option like they did for iPhone 15's, otherwise this setting is pure garbage especially for systems that are plugged in 24h

Works fine for me. Mine is plugged in almost 24/7 and sits at 80% the vast majority of time.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Seems to work the same with the added bonus of BatFi having cycle counts and battery health monitors.

Just FYI for those who may not know - AlDente Pro can also show this information. It's available in the Stats pane of Settings and from there can be configured to show in the Popover window that appears when you tap the menu bar battery icon. Battery Health, Battery Specs and Electrical Specs.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Thought about trying it but I don't understand how it works and if I should get the free or paid version.

I wish Apple would just give us the option to limit charging to 80% like they do on iPhone 15.
My macbook doesn't 'learn' to only charge to 80% after a month. Then I switched to al-dente and don't pay much attention to it. Always enough charge in the battery for the hour on the couch anyway :) then back to the charger.
I think for optimised charging to work you need to charge over night and have location services on with system customisation and significant locations enabled. So it depends on time and location.

Optimised Charging only "works" on my Airpod Pro 2 as it will keep the earphones at ~80% then slowly charge them up for when it thinks I'm going to use them. Have never seen this in action on my iPhone, Watch or MacBook but I don't charge them at night.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Keen to share what are the tricks? I never had such device that are still 100% health after years of uses.

15" M2 MacBook Air here. Still 100% and it has been 10 months.

My previous 14" M1 was at 98% after 2 years. Seriously, I think people really overblows this whole battery issue. The new Apple Silicon Macs are much more resilient with regards to battery longevity because of how efficient they are overall. Intel Macs killed batteries because they were running very hot all the time.

Reactions: Isamilis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.