Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SWolfe

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2020
I have to 'fundamentally disagree' with that. I've got a 2019 6-core i5 imac with the Vega 48 and do 4k video editing and after effects work on it. It pretty much NEVER gets above 60c. EVEN with renders that last 1 or more HOURS!

Maybe I just got lucky with one that has the exact right amount of thermal paste or whatever, but in my experience, at least with the 6-core, if your iMac is often having the fans spinning up or getting anywhere near 100c then there's probably something wrong with the machine.

Some of the staying cool with that processor could be related to the lack of hyper-threading in the 2019 i5 series. I ended up getting rid of my 2019 i5 6 core 3.7G because while I agree it stayed cooler I found it to be very underpowered.

Nicole1980

Suspended
Mar 19, 2010
Some of the staying cool with that processor could be related to the lack of hyper-threading in the 2019 i5 series. I ended up getting rid of my 2019 i5 6 core 3.7G because while I agree it stayed cooler I found it to be very underpowered.

The 6 core was such a nice jump from my previous 4-core iMac that for me it didn't feel anywhere close to being 'underpowered'. Plus the vega 48 gave me a similar leap on the graphics side.

As it is, I can edit 4k on the timeline in premiere pro in full resolution with no lag, so that's really all the power I need.

So bottom line, it's more than fast enough for my uses, and it runs a good bit cooler than the i7 or i9. Really a slam dunk thumbs up from me.

Reactions: HappyIntro

SWolfe

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2020
I can see that I had the stock Gpu in my that wasn't nearly as powerful as the Vega.

Nicole1980

Suspended
Mar 19, 2010
I can see that I had the stock Gpu in my that wasn't nearly as powerful as the Vega.

Well, I think the 580x would still have been fast enough for smooth 4k editing in premiere.

But the real difference may be, I swapped out the spinning sata disk part of the fusion drive with a SATA ssd. If you had the standard fusion drive model I do think those feel dog **** slow in comparision.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Respectfully, comparing an iMac to a Mac mini in a data center without proper ventilation is a total strawman. If your iMac's vents are blocked, that’s going to be a problem too.
Respectfully, it's completely on point and I doubt you have any data to support your statements, whereas we do. 100C is very hot and the throttling, if it behaved the way you say it does, would have kept those Mac's from killing themselves.

100C is just a number on a spec sheet. Lower heat is ALWAYS better ... and the real world is a spectrum of consequences, not a binary if/then. The real question is how much worse does the failure rate over time get as you approach 100C? And Intel doesn't give you that number.

The fact is that no one who builds PC's for themselves targets 100C as their running temp. Throttling is a safety mechanism for preventing your CPU from exploding right then and there, but does hitting that limit constantly affect the lifetime for the device in a very noticeable way? Absolutely.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
I'm having kernel panics and force reboots. Anyone else with the new 2020 27" iMac having these issues?

Reactions: Webfiero

Nicole1980

Suspended
Mar 19, 2010
Respectfully, it's completely on point and I doubt you have any data to support your statements, whereas we do. 100C is very hot and the throttling, if it behaved the way you say it does, would have kept those Mac's from killing themselves.

100C is just a number on a spec sheet. Lower heat is ALWAYS better ... and the real world is a spectrum of consequences, not a binary if/then. The real question is how much worse does the failure rate over time get as you approach 100C? And Intel doesn't give you that number.

The fact is that no one who builds PC's for themselves targets 100C as their running temp. Throttling is a safety mechanism for preventing your CPU from exploding right then and there, but does hitting that limit constantly affect the lifetime for the device in a very noticeable way? Absolutely.
Well said.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
If only iMac had iMac Pro's cooling system. This would be a complete non-issue then.
That’s what I was waiting for. I have an aging, but quite functional, ‘13 MP. I was ready to replace it, and the iMac form factor seemed the only choice. I was expecting that if we didn’t see an updated iMac Pro, it would be because they moved the pro cooling system into the base iMac. I’ve heard the fan in the 2017 iMac and don‘t want to put up with that.

My MP’13 is whisper quiet. I love that thing. The only thing it lacks is hardware acceleration for H.265, but I’ll hold out until I can replace it with a machine I’ll be happy with.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I'm having kernel panics and force reboots. Anyone else with the new 2020 27" iMac having these issues?
No issues so far, though I’ve only had the machine three days now. Just curious, what is your RAM setup like in your machine? You just using Apple stock RAM or did you augment or switch with other RAM you bought?

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
No issues so far, though I’ve only had the machine three days now. Just curious, what is your RAM setup like in your machine? You just using Apple stock RAM or did you augment or switch with other RAM you bought?

I'm using a 32GB (4x 8GB) kit from OWC.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Someone here had panics to the point they returned the machine. Their second one seems to have no crashing issues. Can’t remember which thread this is documented in, or I’d put the link here.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
Someone here had panics to the point they returned the machine. Their second one seems to have no crashing issues. Can’t remember which thread this is documented in, or I’d put the link here.

Thanks, I'll search around for it. I may just have a defective unit.

Mr. Warbles

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2020
no issues with my iMac i7 base model. I have added Samsung 32gb ram if that helps

Nice, I have basically the same setup incoming but I added a 1TB SSD. I also bought 2 32GB Samsung RAM sticks to load in. How's the RAM running for you? Did you mix with the Apple RAM or are you just running the Samsung Sticks?

Thanks!

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
This is my 2018 Mini 3.2 GHz 6 core i7 running Cinebench 2.0 with several items running in the background, including two instances of VLC capturing 1080p RTSP feeds. Yes I can hear the fan when the Mini is under full load. But it is not annoyingly loud even at full speed.

Attachments:

View attachment 945611
Bench1.jpg —Core temps run around 60c with the fan at roughly 1,700 rpm under a light to modest load.

View attachment 945612
Bench2.jpg — Under full load…
All 6 cores increase very quickly to Turbo boost then drop back down.
All 6 core temps rise quickly and stay at just under 100c.
Fan speed increases rapidly to roughly 4,000rpm.

View attachment 945613
Bench3.jpg — Core temps rapidly drop back down to roughly 60 when the load is removed

View attachment 945614
Bench4.jpg — Fan speed drops back to 1,700rpm fairly quickly.
For comparison to my 2018 Mini i7…
Cinebench running on a 2020 iMac, 3.8GHz 8 Core i7, Radeon Pro 5500 8GB, 8 GB RAM, 2TB SSD.

iMacBench1Sm.jpg
iMacBench1 — Core temps a little over 40C with a fan at 1,200RPM under minimal load.

iMacBench2Sm.jpg
iMacBench2 — Under full load
All 8 cores increase quickly to turbo boost then begin dropping back down
All 8 core temps rise quickly to a little less than 90C
Fan speed stays 1,200RPM

iMacBench3Sm.jpg
iMacBench3 — Still under full load, task nearing completion.
Package power drops slowly down to 120
All 8 core temps climb slowly and plateau at just under 100C
Fan ramps up to near max 2,700RPM

iMacBench4Sm.jpg
iMacBench4 — Task complete, cooling down.
Package power drops rapidly as load decreases
Core temps drop fairly quickly
Fan speed drops more slowly

At full load, the fan at 2,700 RPM is audible but not really “loud” unless you listen behind the screen. I’d say the thermal performance of the 2020 iMac 8 core i7 is quite acceptable IFF you use it as a “sprinter” — i.e. long periods of light to medium CPU usage with short periods of heavy load.

GetRealBro

Last edited:

SWolfe

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2020
This is on the 2020 i9 5500XT 1TBSSD. I had never used Cinenbench before I was still driving a 2nd display and a few small programs running in the back ground, not sure if that matters.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 344
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 339
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 329
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 339
Reactions: getrealbro

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
100ºC may well be okay for the CPU itself, but I worry about what that heat will do to the rest of the computer over time. I usually keep my computers 5-7 years and I use them for more than just web-browsing. ?

If it eases your mind I've been running my 2013 iMac around 90-100c since 2013 since I constantly have a transcode running in Handbrake and add to the queue once or twice a day. I replaced the thermal paste 1 1/2 ago and to my surprise it wasn't dried out.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Last two post appear to be maintaining turbo frequencies at 100c. Aside from the noise (I definitely get that gripe) thats reasonable for a prebuilt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.