Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
The EF 200mm f.2L (above) is not a zoom, but a telephoto (a prime). A zoom would be one such as this: Tamron 18-50mm f/2.8 lens, or Tokina 12-24mm f/4.
Aaah okay, what I meant is the Canon zoom lens 70-200, I saw both models behind the glass mirror and one is surprisingly much smaller (in terms of diameter) compared to the other one, does this has something to do with the aperture?

Ever heard of ergonomics? The fulcrum (in this case your left hand or tripod) needs to be in the middle of the 28-300 to operate it properly. With a smaller camera body attached, your left hand needs to be somewhere other than the middle to balance it all up- and then you can't operate the lens properly.... no one should be using both hands on the camera body itself to support any SLR with any lens attached. (That would indeed be like holding a 2"x4" from one of the ends, and it would be silly and break your camera as you say.)
Erm, is there people who use SLR and place their 2 hands on the camera body? I never seen it, all the people who uses SLR so far I see has one hand on the body and the other on the lens.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
About the 70-200s, it basically goes like this:

The f/4 and f/4 IS are basically identical in size.
The f/2.8 is pretty big.
The f/2.8 IS is even BIGGER!

By grams, it's like this:

f/4: 705g
f/4 IS: 760g
f/2.8: 1310g
f/2.8 IS: 1590g

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.