Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
The keychain is encrypted though so you have to share the key from one of your trusted devices - the point was always that even Apple can't read your keychain so the keychain can't be unlocked on another device without an existing device authorising that key.
I can see that saved credit card numbers might theoretically be shared as they are part of autofill, so it's very puzzling

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I too have all of my sister's passwords and login details on my phone and Mac. She has all of mine too on her iphone and ipad.
A couple of years ago we set up family sharing but it has long since been cancelled.
This is just a little ridiculous.
I don't know how to change this and fear that if I go through everything deleting her details (and she does the same with mine) it'll just come back again.
It's alright people saying don't use keychain for anything but in all honesty that's what it's for! It shouldn't be necessary to avoid something designed to do this exact job.
Can it be fixed?
Thanks.

EDIT
Actually I just noticed where this thread is - I'm now on IOS15 - so no improvement then :)

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
It's alright people saying don't use keychain for anything but in all honesty that's what it's for! It shouldn't be necessary to avoid something designed to do this exact job.
Yes, but Apple has repeatedly demonstrated incompetence in providing services. I'm not sure why you expect this to be any different.

It obviously doesn't work for you in the way you want it to work, so why use it?

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Yes, but Apple has repeatedly demonstrated incompetence in providing services. I'm not sure why you expect this to be any different.

It obviously doesn't work for you in the way you want it to work, so why use it?
Call me old-fashioned but if something's written to do a job then it should do the job.
It did work for me - admirably - but now I've got a problem.
Maybe I should just give up. It seems the way these days. People like things easy.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
People like things easy.
I like things that work. By and large, services provided by Apple don't. So I don't use them for anything I care about, or backstop them with something else for when they inevitably fail. Certainly never let them be authoritative.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
You do understand that it's not actually a Keychain problem, as such?
The common denominator in all cases so far is that they've all turned on Family Sharing at some time. The problem lies with that, not Keychain.

Reactions: Tagbert

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
You do understand that it's not actually a Keychain problem, as such?
The common denominator in all cases so far is that they've all turned on Family Sharing at some time. The problem lies with that, not Keychain.
Of course it's a Keychain problem. Keychain is syncing data it should not have access to. If you want to play the card that it did have access, and now it doesn't, and the data is now local... well, it's more than a little incompetent that Keychain is not checking whether or not it still has acces to that data according to the controls the user is imposing. Obviously it does still have access to it.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Of course it's a Keychain problem. Keychain is syncing data it should not have access to. If you want to play the card that it did have access, and now it doesn't, and the data is now local... well, it's more than a little incompetent that Keychain is not checking whether or not it still has acces to that data according to the controls the user is imposing. Obviously it does still have access to it.
And what gave it access? Family Sharing did.

Reactions: Muscovite

invinvinv

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
Same here. What. The. Hell. Biggest security hole I ever witnessed...there are references on the internet as far back as 2019 with people mentioning this problem and Apple has not fixed it???

invinvinv

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021

Crappy internet services is one thing. This is something different. Steal someone important kids ipad and enter 1234 as a pin and you have all their passwords.....jesus...

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Definitely an interesting situation. My family and I (and other families that I know) have been using Apple’s family sharing since it began and I’ve never known anyone to have this problem (we certainly have not). When I have had someone I know have an issue, they had a 3rd party application that synced their data and they shared that application with someone else (like Chrome Password Manager - then gave that device to someone, etc)…

I cannot access my wife’s passwords, my mother in law’s passwords and they cannot access mine no matter what I’ve done.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
weird, some how that song "We Are family" stared paying on the iPads,
and all the Sister Sledge passwords, momitars and logins popped up?
huh?

invinvinv

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
Definitely an interesting situation. My family and I (and other families that I know) have been using Apple’s family sharing since it began and I’ve never known anyone to have this problem (we certainly have not). When I have had someone I know have an issue, they had a 3rd party application that synced their data and they shared that application with someone else (like Chrome Password Manager - then gave that device to someone, etc)…

I cannot access my wife’s passwords, my mother in law’s passwords and they cannot access mine no matter what I’ve done.

No such software installed on our device, and even if there was, it should not have access to the entire keychain.

It seems that the keychain is not shared with all members of the family plan, only one (but on all devices for this one member).

• Wow
Reactions: BigMcGuire

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Crappy internet services is one thing. This is something different. Steal someone important kids ipad and enter 1234 as a pin and you have all their passwords.....jesus...
So, again... don't use iCloud Keychain. It's broken. Why do people have such a problem with the concept?

invinvinv

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
So, again... don't use iCloud Keychain. It's broken. Why do people have such a problem with the concept?

You are asking me why people have a problem with a core security feature (akin to certificate stores etc) being broken for potentially billions of users and Apple has not done anything about it for years?

But yeah, I turned it off, and so should everyone else.

EDIT: Surprise. Even after turned it off (hours ago), the passwords are still on the other devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quackers

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I think more than a few people would complain about this if it was broken for billions of users.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
You are asking me why people have a problem with a core security feature (akin to certificate stores etc) being broken for potentially billions of users and Apple has not done anything about it for years?
It's a on-line service provided by Apple. The ones you pay for don't work reliably, so I certainly don't expect the free ones to. Historically they do not, so I'm not at all surprised when they don't.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
From the same company that will bring us CSAM.
<shrug> People can put their heads in the sand about that all they like, and whine about what Apple (and Google) do or plan to do. I fail to understand why fools continue to expect privacy on systems they do not control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.