Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
As a point of reference, I get just under a 1000 shots from battery life with a K110D. I never use flash and sometimes I use manual focus (macro)

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
OK. First of all, i have owned a K100D, gx-1s(k110d), a A75 Canon, a LMZ Lumix, and so on. Plus ive played with the K10D before.

First off, my A75 had AWESOME battery life, it takes 4 AA's. It is an old digital camera, had a small LCD, didnt require to much power.

Then I had my lumix, which has a battery pack. It has a huge 2.5 lcd screen, lots of auto zooming, alot of stuff which take lots of battery life.

Then I owned a K110D, and the battery life sucked. I would have to charge the batteries after an hour or so of shooting. It takes 4 batteries. It has a decent 2 inch screen.

Now i own the GX-1S. Almost the same camera. No image stabilization. I get better, decent battery life. Still not as good as my A75, but thats because it has a bigger LCD, and more auto functions.

The K10D i took out for a day lasted without a hiccup. Lots of things draining the battery, but it still performed great.

'Nuff said.

Thats why if the K100D comes with a battery pack, i will buy it. Other wise, i may just get the K10D, but i was hoping theyd update the k100D because I like the size and weight of it.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Re: hey

As a point of reference, I get just under a 1000 shots from battery life with a K110D. I never use flash and sometimes I use manual focus (macro)

The K110D doesnt have image stabilization. my gx-1s is like the K110D. it get better battery life then the K100D. That is my logic behind it, because its pretty much the only difference between the K100D and the K110D.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I know. Which is why I said limited experience. Maybe I should have italicized and bolded it and added "subjective" and "relative" to boot.

If we ever get a K100D Super, I'll be able to do a more appropriate comparison between AA and battery pack. But after coming from my C-4000Z (aka the Battery Gobbler) I'm continually amazed by my K10D's battery life.

The reason why I said the comparison can't be made is because the sensor size inside is different (the dSLR uses more power), and the AF system in the DSLR probably uses more as well. However, the point and shoot generally requires that you use the LCD all the time. BIG energy waster. Very very substantial energy usage.

The only way to compare AA (possibly NiMH batteries) and Li-Ion battery packs is if you have a DSLR that can take AA batteries or the regular old battery pack. If you have a vertical grip, some of them allow you to use NiMH AA batteries. That would be the best way of comparing the two types of batteries.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The optional MB-10 Multi-power battery pack / grip for Nikon's new D300 provides options for using two EN-EL3a batteries (the camera normally uses one) or eight AA batteries (several types: alkaline, Ni-MH,Lithium or Ni-NM) or one EN-EL4a battery (the more powerful one normally used in the D2X/s and D2H/s cameras). So the user of the D300 has the best of all worlds! :) That said I doubt that I would ever use eight AA batteries; I find it much easier to handle just ONE large battery or two than a bunch of little ones. It is nice to know that if I were somewhere and suddenly realized that I'd forgotten a battery or that the batteries I had with me weren't charged, that I could run to a store in a pinch and buy AA batteries, but I hope I never have to do that!!

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Much like the options that Clix points out for the Nikon, CR-V3s are an option with the Pentax K100D/110D. Getting rechargeable V3s isn't that expensive, especially compared to an OEM pack. Disposable Lithium AA's (it is the only reason I go to Sam's Club) are really the most efficient option. I can think of plenty of travel moments where having had no opportunity to "recharge" would have cost me dearly had I not had AAs in my camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.