Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
OK so i have a question about the MBA.

Say one was to have the SSD installed in the MBA, it would run really cool yes? It's then a shame that the only moving part would be the fan. Would have been great if it was completely silent and still. Or, with the cooler HD, will the fan cease to be in use? Will the CPU still need the fan cooling or will heat dissipation be good enough?

Imagine that. Something thats so rugged you don't have to worry about throwing it about a bit. Not that you'd want to throw it about, but you get the idea. And... silent operation! that would be amazing.

thoughts?

btcomm

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2006
The CPU that is in it will definitely need to be cooled off so yeah the fan would have to be running. If the case is cooler it may well tell the fan to slow slower making it quieter though.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
The CPU that is in it will definitely need to be cooled off so yeah the fan would have to be running. If the case is cooler it may well tell the fan to slow slower making it quieter though.

shame there isn't a way that there could be no fan. i'd rather have this clocked CPU and silent, then faster and fans. Didn't they just release a chip (read it somewhere on Macrumors) that will decrease temp a LOT?

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
The fans usually aren't very loud anyway. My Macbook Pro's fans are honestly only noticeable if you go real close. The thing that makes any real amount of noise is just the hard drive, which won't be a problem is you pick up the SSD. I would think the MBA would be dead silent or very close to it.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
i'm still kind of bothered at how much sound the fan will make. my pb g4 is LOUD! bothers me when i watch a dvd.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
i'm still kind of bothered at how much sound the fan will make. my pb g4 is LOUD! bothers me when i watch a dvd.

Yeah tell me about it, my MacBook is ALWAYS running at 1700 rpm even if its just idle; a bit annoying when in a very silent room. When my MacBook gets really hot she sounds like a little jet engine, seriously. I usually don't care about the sound. At least is silent when compared to my cousin's G5 that sounds like a takeoff when running the fans at full blast.

-Victor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.