Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
I guess it's a big deal if that one other lens you want is a prime wider than 60mm.

Yup. That's true.

But I bet that most (again) entry level users prefer to shoot with zoom lenses that allow them to carry less in their bag. And I bet that is what Nikon figured too.

Eh... what was this thread about anyway?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I guess it's a big deal if that one other lens you want is a prime wider than 60mm.
Some of Sigma's primes have HSM (2.8/4.5 fisheye, 2.8/10 fisheye, 1.4/30, 1.4/50, 2.8/50 macro) and hence the AF works on the D40(x) and D60. But you're right, there is a gap between 30 mm (~ 50 mm on film) and fisheye lenses.

In any case, there are zoom lenses which cover that focal length range: not idea, but an acceptable compromise for many. For most customers, it's a theoretical disadvantage.

Nikon should definitely upgrade its primes to AF-S, no doubt about that, though.

montanagrad

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
My biggest complaint with the the entry-level Nikons is the lack of a Nikon-made battery grip. I find the battery grip makes a camera easier to hold and shoot vertical photos, and as far as I've been able to find, a battery grip with a shutter release just isn't available for Nikon.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Sigma makes some absolutely great lenses with built-in focus motors (HSM) that work great with the Nikon d40/x/60. I got the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, which is one of the best zoom lenses for the money (Sub $400) out there. Sigma also came out with some HSM primes recently. Check out the reviews, Sigma lenses are highly regarded. Nikon is getting ready to roll out many new lenses with built-in focus motors, soon the point about no in-body focus motor will be moot.

notatrumpetpro

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
For the price the Canon XSI with the new 18-55 IS lesn is the best route. Canon and Nikon cameras are quite similar. It's like the difference between a Honda and a Toyota. Toyotas always have the same quality as a Honda but are always 2-3K cheaper if not more...

I've shot both the Nikon and Canon. I currently have a Canon 30D if that says anything...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.