Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tuckeral77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
I’ve owned a S0 and currently have a S3. Both have been aluminum, but this time I’m thinking I wanna go for some sort of SS version. Likely just SS but not quite locked down on that. Anyways, I’m pretty active (CrossFit) and always wear my watch to track my fitness. I take really good care of my stuff and my current watch has very minimal scratchibg. Am I crazy for getting the higher end value? Do you think I’m gonna destroy the watch ie scratches and such? Seeing this SS, SSSB, and SG got me all excited. They look so good and I want a nicer watch this time around.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve owned a S0 and currently have a S3. Both have been aluminum, but this time I’m thinking I wanna go for some sort of SS version. Likely just SS but not quite locked down on that. Anyways, I’m pretty active (CrossFit) and always wear my watch to track my fitness. I take really good care of my stuff and my current watch has very minimal scratchibg. Am I crazy for getting the higher end value? Do you think I’m gonna destroy the watch ie scratches and such? Seeing this SS, SSSB, and SG got me all

The regular stainless can scratch easier, but it’s still very durable, and you receive the sapphire display with the added protection. The space back stainless is far more durable with the diamond like carbon coating over the casing, which might be more suitable if you can justify the price point of the stainless.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Edit: Thanks for fixing the title :p

If you like the look of the stainless/space black/stainless gold better and you don't mind the price, go for it. I've very much enjoyed the look and durability of my space black S2, which has taken quite a few bumps and doesn't have a blemish anywhere on it. I bought it both because I liked the look of it better, and because my previous aluminium S0 picked up scratches too easily for the way I used it.

Tuckeral77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Lol sorry, thought the title would be an eye catcher. Made it more relevant now. I’m definitely leaning towards the more premium version. I love the sleekness of the SS, but I know that surface shows scratches more than the SSSB. I guess is just have to polish it more often..

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
:D It's of course just personal preference, so if you prefer how the stainless models look and the price is not exorbitant for you, then go for it!

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I’ve owned a S0 and currently have a S3. Both have been aluminum, but this time I’m thinking I wanna go for some sort of SS version. Likely just SS but not quite locked down on that. Anyways, I’m pretty active (CrossFit) and always wear my watch to track my fitness. I take really good care of my stuff and my current watch has very minimal scratchibg. Am I crazy for getting the higher end value? Do you think I’m gonna destroy the watch ie scratches and such? Seeing this SS, SSSB, and SG got me all excited. They look so good and I want a nicer watch this time around.

Personally, even if you wear your watch in harsh conditions I would still go for the watch that looks the best.
For those harsh conditions simply get one of the many covers to protect the SS and when you go out to look great let the watch loose with it’s bling.
I wear my SS all the time. If I’m doing hard manual work (gardening, DIY etc.) I cover the watch face with a silicon skin.
Then when out and about the cover comes off.

Tuckeral77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Personally, even if you wear your watch in harsh conditions I would still go for the watch that looks the best.
For those harsh conditions simply get one of the many covers to protect the SS and when you go out to look great let the watch loose with it’s bling.
I wear my SS all the time. If I’m doing hard manual work (gardening, DIY etc.) I cover the watch face with a silicon skin.
Then when out and about the cover comes off.

That’s a good point! I’ve never considered putting a sleeve on the watch before, but that actually makes a lot of sense for during my workouts and such.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given that the two models are the exact same watch except for the finish, I think the ALU is better. I have the space gray model and its held up extremely well over the years. Since the idea is to upgrade the watch every couple/few years why spend even more money then you ought too. The used market for the premium models is not as good as some folks ought to be as well, so you may not get as much as you think ought too when its time to sell.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I was on the fence about returning the aluminum for a SS but didn't do it. My concern is that the SS might be a bit heavier for me working out. Also, if thy come up with another upgrade next year I won't feel as guilty if I cave in and upgrade again.

Reactions: DianaMR

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I don’t consider the aluminum to be a viable option for me. I tried last year with the 3 and the face was scratched up after one weekend. The face might as well be made of butter. Other than that trial weekend I have had the SS models and the screens are flawless even after heavy abuse.

Reactions: rob.james.arias

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Only if you can’t afford it. Other than that, it comes down to which one you like better. Some day the SS weight is a factor. The weight difference can be compared to a men’s titanium wedding ring. My wife would say that isn’t a good excuse for me to not wear the ring. :)

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
As an owner of two previous stainless models. I recommend the aluminum. The resell of the stainless is garbage. The sapphire crystal on them though is great. But just not worth spending for when you know you’ll lose money durning upgrade time. The watches don’t last forever so there really is no point splurging for the premium model.

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
There is also the fact that the sapphire screens on the SS are more reflective — not so good for use in bright outdoor conditions. Can be a factor if you are a runner, etc. With my S4, I’m now on my fourth aluminum model. I’m a frequent upgrader! All three previous models were in great shape after a year. And I’m a pretty active person.

MorganB

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Love the SS. I had the S0 in aluminum and didnt wear it that often because I didnt think it looked very stylish for anything other than very casual or sport wear. I finally got back in Apple Watch game with the S4 and have no regrets spending the extra money on the SS. I'm very active and have no problem wearing it at the gym. I did purchase the project red band for my workouts.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I have only had SS watches... got the Gold this year. I don't like the aluminum ones. They look like a toy on my arm. Mind you, I see them on other people and they look just fine. It's a me thing, I reckon.

Also, I know I'd scratch up the aluminum and glass model and I don't like bumpers, because they make the thing look even more like a toy. I would use a cover/protector of some sort while doing stuff that might scratch up a SS watch. At least then you can remove it and have a nice watch when you're going about your day.

Reactions: quadchick10

Tuckeral77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Yeah I intend on keeping this watch a few years if I spend a pretty penny on it. I would upgrade maybe every year with the alum model, but will likely hold on to the SS model until they have a large update like they did with the S4. I don’t foresee that happening again for the next few models.

Reactions: bunnicula

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This thread helped me decide. I dont think the SS is really worth it as I believe the 44 will prove that a bigger model is still going to happen. So just ordered a SG 44 from Best Buy, will be here Sat.

I did have a SBSS on order with them but they cannot even tell me when I will get it even though they promised it would ship 9/21.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I went from the space grey alu series 1 to the SS gold series 4 and I love the ss. I wont be going back. I like the weight and the feel better of the ss and it looks much better than the alu to me. The biggest thing is that I already hit it against the metal on my glass door and there was no scratches on the screen or the gold. To me its worth the up-charge but that decision is up to you. I would at least try it out if you are considering the ss.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
The sensible thing is to get the aluminum version, but considering it's a piece of jewelry, why not get something that will give you a bit of joy every time you look at it? I say treat yourself and get the SS and enjoy it.

Reactions: JCT

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I think that the aluminum looks good. I had The gold ss for a day before I took it back and traded it for the space black aluminum because I just liked it better. Get the one you like and can afford. I believe watches are utilitarian for the most part and when should be able to use them without worry about damaging them.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I think that the aluminum looks good. I had The gold ss for a day before I took it back and traded it for the space black aluminum because I just liked it better. Get the one you like and can afford. I believe watches are utilitarian for the most part and when should be able to use them without worry about damaging them.

Worry about damage is EXACTLY why I don't own a Sport watch... well, and I prefer the look of the SS.

The Sport has a glass screen. That's just begging for scratches. So is the aluminum body.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I’ve had the aluminum twice before never scratched or cracked the crystal and never scratched the body that I noticed, and I wore them 18 hours a day every day. I’m not saying don’t get the stainless steel if that’s what you want. All I’m just saying is I haven’t found the aluminum to be all that fragile. And I’m somebody who used to bust the crystals on my Timex watches at least once a year.

Reactions: DianaMR

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
My 1 year old daughter has scratched the glass of my aluminium AW3 twice now just with her fingernails, which are as soft as paper. The glass is not durable whatsoever. I'm going stainless steel next for the sapphire watch face.

Reactions: rob.james.arias

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the thread. I was in the same situation and ended up purchasing the SBSS. I plan to 1) use it for at least 2 Watch cycles and hopefully 3 of so can stand not having the latest and greatest, 2) use it 6 days a week for crossfit where damage risk is high and I like the extra protection (side note, I had an S3 aluminum and used film screen protectors which I had to replace every month or so due to the edges coming up - annoying and looked terrible), 3) it's something I will use, wear, and show off literally everyday - perhaps more than the phone itself, it deserves to be nice, and 4) $529 (with cellular) for aluminum is too damn expensive for this device; I feel like I'm getting more value out of the $749 stainless. And resale, should you choose to sell, may be better for this series given its difficulty to get and the improvements that should make this a multi year investment.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
My 1 year old daughter has scratched the glass of my aluminium AW3 twice now just with her fingernails, which are as soft as paper. The glass is not durable whatsoever. I'm going stainless steel next for the sapphire watch face.
Don’t blame you. I had an aluminium for 3 months which got scratched despite the case being covered. Got rid of it and bought a SS series 0. That has and still looks way better than the aluminium which I stopped using and kept in a drawer as a backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.