Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgrace

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2008
I have the aluminum S2 and I'm considering the stainless steel S4. I know the SS is heavier than the aluminum - does anyone find this extra weight to be a problem when running or working out in the gym? Also, I understand that the sapphire screen on previous stainless steel models is more reflective and not quite as vibrant as the display on the aluminum models. Is that still the case with S4?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have the aluminum S2 and I'm considering the stainless steel S4. I know the SS is heavier than the aluminum - does anyone find this extra weight to be a problem when running or working out in the gym?

Not at all. You will adjust to the Weight rather quickly. I would recommend a sports band or Sport loop for the Gym, Which its plenty adjustable to find the appropriate fitting for your wrist.

I understand that the sapphire screen on previous stainless steel models is more reflective and not quite as vibrant as the display on the aluminum models. Is that still the case with S4?

That was the case in the Past with the stainless Being more reflective due to the sapphire coating, where as the Ion-X Glass on the Sport model appears more vibrant because it lacks the sapphire coating. But now Apple has increased the screen brightness from 450 Nits from the first Gen/Series 1 watch to 1000 Nit brightness with the Series 2 and above, the reflectivity issue Seems non existent due to increased brightness.

Reactions: bgrace

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
1 year olds fingernails are so thin they are like razor blades.

But lack the hardness.
[doublepost=1538176320][/doublepost]
I have the aluminum S2 and I'm considering the stainless steel S4. I know the SS is heavier than the aluminum - does anyone find this extra weight to be a problem when running or working out in the gym? Also, I understand that the sapphire screen on previous stainless steel models is more reflective and not quite as vibrant as the display on the aluminum models. Is that still the case with S4?

I think this totally depends on how tight you like to make the strap. I dont make them tight, and perhaps that could be problematic for working out.
[doublepost=1538176430][/doublepost]
View attachment 790037 Stainless Steel Space Black 44mm. Black Sports loop and black Sports Band. Mistake? Hell no!!!!!

Neither look premium to me. $250 will buy one hell of a nice strap...

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Yeah I intend on keeping this watch a few years if I spend a pretty penny on it. I would upgrade maybe every year with the alum model, but will likely hold on to the SS model until they have a large update like they did with the S4. I don’t foresee that happening again for the next few models.

That's what I do. I currently have SS series 0 and planning to get the SS series 4. The aluminium ones look like a toy to me and coming from wearing regular watches I want something nice. My screen has no scratches and the steel I've polished maybe once a year (looks brand new every time). I'll keep the s4 until there is another major upgrade.

Jessica08

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2015
Roll Tide
This is my concern, too. Someone mentioned to me to get the stainless version because of the sapphire crystal, but I noticed both models have the sapphire crystal. Are they talking about the aluminum and SS part getting scratched easily or the face itself?

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
Alum looks very cheap minus the super delicate SG. Had SG series 0, then went to SBSS series 2/3/4. It’s just a better look. Love my SBSS s4 paired with my Hermès orange band for the winning look

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
This is my concern, too. Someone mentioned to me to get the stainless version because of the sapphire crystal, but I noticed both models have the sapphire crystal. Are they talking about the aluminum and SS part getting scratched easily or the face itself?

The back is sapphire on both but the screen is only sapphire on the stainless models.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
There is also the fact that the sapphire screens on the SS are more reflective — not so good for use in bright outdoor conditions. Can be a factor if you are a runner, etc. With my S4, I’m now on my fourth aluminum model. I’m a frequent upgrader! All three previous models were in great shape after a year. And I’m a pretty active person.
Sapphire isn’t that reflective. I live in hell aka Arizona and I can say that’s never been a problem with the stainless models I owned, or any of my watches with sapphire.

I still recommend the aluminum though due to resell value of the watch. Being tech you’re going to upgrade it not keep it around.
Apple trade in value after 1 year for the SS is $250, for the aluminum LTE is $225. At $700 & $500 for the new version you see which one gives you the best value over time. Only you can be the judge though. It’s your money not mine.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Sapphire isn’t that reflective. I live in hell aka Arizona and I can say that’s never been a problem with the stainless models I owned, or any of my watches with sapphire.

I still recommend the aluminum though due to resell value of the watch. Being tech you’re going to upgrade it not keep it around.
Apple trade in value after 1 year for the SS is $250, for the aluminum LTE is $225. At $700 & $500 for the new version you see which one gives you the best value over time. Only you can be the judge though. It’s your money not mine.

Eh you can easily get a few years out of these watches, and the newer ones will get more life than the earlier models. Most people don't approach them like a phone in terms of upgrade cycle (and now even the phone cycles are becoming much longer...).

I'd tradeoff the resale value if it meant having a watch without scratches on the glass. Also being able to polish it once in awhile and have it look like brand new is great. I also just prefer the look of the SS and the way it works with the bands that I have.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
I work out my S3 stainless steel quite a bit with workouts, and it's been in four oceans. Consider the fact you are getting sapphire screen instead of the Ion one that is more prone to breaking. More durability is good.
Do you wear a silver SS or SBSS to the gym?

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
Reasons to not go with stainless would be they are heavier, cost more to begin with, and resale value is not much more than aluminums. If those are not significant detractors for you, go for it.

At least on the silver stainless, and I assume black, the microscratches can be “buffed” out for the most part with polishing cloths.

I go for aluminum as I want the lighter weight (hadn’t worn a watch in decades until the Apple Watch) and my wife gets stainless because the aesthetics appeal to her more.

CreepyAF

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you
ive swum with the SS series 4 watch for the past two weeks and haven't noticed any weight difference/strain compared to my previous S0 space grey alum. the difference in grams is negligible if u are a regular sized person with normal muscle tone. maybe if u held ur arm out for a long time would u notice the additional weight...

Reactions: Sword86

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Reasons to not go with stainless would be they are heavier

I'm a two+ year owner of aluminum and new owner of SBSS.

Sure, the SBSS is 40% heavier than the aluminum. That's the spec.

Can't really tell the difference in the real world though, not unless I'm specifically comparing one to the other.

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
The weight is simply a non-issue. I picked up a pair of S4s in the AS with the same bands and couldn’t discern which was which. We’re talking mere grams here.
It just comes down to whether you prefer the looks of the SS versus aluminum and are prepared to accept the additional cost.
So....since it’s become abundantly clear this subject is going to get beat to death for as long as aluminum and SS watches remain available, I’ll save everyone further trouble by pointing out the only correct and obvious conclusion.
Those of us who bought SS are complete morons with more money than brains. S​

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
So....since it’s become abundantly clear this subject is going to get beat to death for as long as aluminum and SS watches remain available, I’ll save everyone further trouble by pointing out the only correct and obvious conclusion.
Those of us who bought SS are complete morons with more money than brains. S​

And those of us with aluminum are penny pinching idiots who buy cheap looking, easily broken crap.
(just to show both sides of the coin)

Reactions: Sword86

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
At least on the silver stainless, and I assume black, the microscratches can be “buffed” out for the most part with polishing cloths

With the black stainless, you cannot polish out the scratches due to the diamond like carbon coating. It’s the one caveat to that specific model _if_ it does scratch.

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I had a aluminium series 0 and series 2. For the series 4 I decided to go for the gold stainless steel. I am so happy with my decision. My friend has a series 4 gold aluminium and the stainless steel just looks so much better, and it goes perfectly with my gold XS. I have gone all iJustine with the matching case, strap (stone colour - although I am tempted by the gold link bracelet, maybe as a Xmas gift :p ) and bodies.

So no, if you can afford it, then go for it. I am wearing my watch all the time, so I am not ashamed to admit that the watch has to look good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.