Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Ever since I updated to iOS 7, I noticed that I have been having to tap twice on many occasions throughout phone. This includes within apps, outside of apps, in between apps, while navigating between the notification center, homescreens, and control centers, everywhere. Sometimes even in the lockscreen or passcode input screen.

Is it merely just due to the animations not finishing? Sometimes, I'm not even navigating quickly throughout the phone when this happens. Anyone else experiencing this? If so, do we think that Apple will address this in future versions of the OS?

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Ever since I updated to iOS 7, I noticed that I have been having to tap twice on many occasions throughout phone. This includes within apps, outside of apps, in between apps, while navigating between the notification center, homescreens, and control centers, everywhere. Sometimes even in the lockscreen or passcode input screen.

Is it merely just due to the animations not finishing? Sometimes, I'm not even navigating quickly throughout the phone when this happens. Anyone else experiencing this? If so, do we think that Apple will address this in future versions of the OS?

Its the animation timing thats preventing the tap from registering. A huge complaint even among rave reviews of iOS 7. hopefully gets fixed in the next update.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Only time this has happened to me is when tapping at the edge of the screen. Or maybe a corner. Otherwise it seems to recognize my tapping.

Techwing

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I think it has to do with applications. The user elements have changed from iOS 6 to iOS 7, along with their shapes and dimensions. Applications that are not written to be fairly independent of these element dimensions might not recognize them as well as before. I haven't actually written apps for iOS, but on other operating systems with graphic user interfaces, this is certainly an issue. Apps can be written to tolerate a certain fudge factor in the appearance of user elements so that they continue to work okay across updates, but if they are too dependent on all the elements looking exactly a certain way, some inconsistencies might appear.

As far as I can tell, each time I've had this issue, it has been within an app, not within the system itself. This further implies that it's an app issue. Presumably as apps are updated for iOS 7, the developers will make any necessary adjustments so that buttons and such work exactly where you tap them.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
Does anyone have to tap twice in safari? I think it happens in facebook in safari. You tap once on a link and it highlights a large element, then tap again and it highlights the element you intended to tap. Happens on the BBC website too (http://www.bbc.co.uk/)

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Does anyone have to tap twice in safari? I think it happens in facebook in safari. You tap once on a link and it highlights a large element, then tap again and it highlights the element you intended to tap. Happens on the BBC website too (http://www.bbc.co.uk/)

I'm not sure wether you're visiting the mobile or desktop version of BBC and where exactly you're seeing what you described above, but I'm not seeing it on my phone.

There are sites unoptimized for mobile devices that make use of mouseover highlights. Sometimes clicking on an element that makes use of such a highlight will activate the effect on the first tap, and then activate the link on the second.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that you have enabled certain Accessibility options which require two taps to activate on-screen elements.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
I'm not sure wether you're visiting the mobile or desktop version of BBC and where exactly you're seeing what you described above, but I'm not seeing it on my phone.

There are sites unoptimized for mobile devices that make use of mouseover highlights. Sometimes clicking on an element that makes use of such a highlight will activate the effect on the first tap, and then activate the link on the second.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that you have enabled certain Accessibility options which require two taps to activate on-screen elements.

Ahh. The mouseover thing sounds likely. Thanks!

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I think it has to do with applications. The user elements have changed from iOS 6 to iOS 7, along with their shapes and dimensions. Applications that are not written to be fairly independent of these element dimensions might not recognize them as well as before. I haven't actually written apps for iOS, but on other operating systems with graphic user interfaces, this is certainly an issue. Apps can be written to tolerate a certain fudge factor in the appearance of user elements so that they continue to work okay across updates, but if they are too dependent on all the elements looking exactly a certain way, some inconsistencies might appear.

As far as I can tell, each time I've had this issue, it has been within an app, not within the system itself. This further implies that it's an app issue. Presumably as apps are updated for iOS 7, the developers will make any necessary adjustments so that buttons and such work exactly where you tap them.

Do this: Swipe up from the bottom, then immediately press one of the bottoms on the control center. If you do it too quickly, it will not register, I suppose because the "animation has not finished loading" when you tapped it. This is the kind if double-tap I'm talking about.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

This has been a feature of mobile Safari for quite some time, and it depends on the website. It is usually for things that change when you hover your mouse over them (such as a button changing color, or a menu popping up, etc). On the phone, there is no mouse cursor, hence no "hover". So your first tap acts as the hover, and the next tap is the "click".

For an example, look at Amazon.com (full site). On your PC, the menus pop up when you hover your mouse over it. On your phone, the menus will pop up when you tap them. Then tapping the same spot again performs the same action as if you had actually clicked it using your PC.

Hope that makes sense.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Its the animation timing thats preventing the tap from registering. A huge complaint even among rave reviews of iOS 7. hopefully gets fixed in the next update.

I hear you, but I can tap even while animation is playing, and it does get registered. In fact, I can even swipe within a folder even before the animation is complete. It sometimes bugs out and returns to the first page, but not always. UI IS live during animations.

GhillieK9

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2017

I know this post is old....just curious if you have found a solution for this...I have been searching and searching and thought I was the only one. I have an iphone 6s Plus and an iPhone 7...same issue. I think it's the animation not finishing up....and it is just way too slow. Hard to explain unless you know what I am talking about but when I exit an app (or get in or out of a folder) and tap on something else, the first tap doesn't register...unless I wait like almost 2 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.