Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atomx66

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2015
Los Angeles
I received mine today, and I am a little bothered by the size of the bezels. I think the problem is that they seem so big on the smaller mini screen as opposed to my older 11” Pro. I would have preferred that the bezels were the same size as the side bezels on the Mini 5. Anyway, I really like it, and I’m sure I’ll get used to it as I use it more.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Just measured the notch on my 12 mini, it’s slightly more than 8 mm. So I guess they could conceivably have shaved off 1 mm.
The iPad mini had no face id so it doesn't need the same room as the notch... They could have made the bezels as thin as the side bezels on the mini 5, but then the air would have looked ugly in comparison (and it's in the same tier, and more expensive...). Just the fact that they went through the trouble of making the air 4 bezels thicker than the pro just for marketing reasons shows that this was a marketing choice as well...

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Well, after checking one out at BestBuy, I do not find the bezels too big. In fact, I really loved it and will add one to my gear (it’s obviously not needed but it’s very useful).

Reactions: BillyiPad95

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
I also find the bezels on the mini 6 too thick. Apple could have done a better job with this. Despite it being a complete design refresh, it almost looks dated out of the gate. I went to the Apple Store yesterday with every intention to buy one but I walked away disappointed.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I’m just wondering if we’ll have to wait another 4 years for a successor. Hopefully this one sells well and next year we get the Pro mini
the air 4 came after 1.5 years from the 3 and the mini 6 after 2.5 years from the 5, I think it's reasonable to predict a 2 year gap between upgrades with the air in one year and the mini in the other, so air 5 2022 and mini 7 2023.... (with the base iPad upgraded every year and the pro roughly every 1.5 years)

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
the air 4 came after 1.5 years from the 3 and the mini 6 after 2.5 years from the 5, I think it's reasonable to predict a 2 year gap between upgrades with the air in one year and the mini in the other, so air 5 2022 and mini 7 2023.... (with the base iPad upgraded every year and the pro roughly every 1.5 years)
Chances of an updated screen / refresh rate next time ?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The bezels on the iPad Air are bigger than they are on the 11” iPad Pro (10.9” screen vs. 11” screen), so I just think of the mini 6 as a shrunken-down iPad Air.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Chances of an updated screen / refresh rate next time ?
Updated screen, likely, especially if the 11 pro is getting mini-led next year (oled would be possible on the air and mini then). Promotion? No, it's staying pro for some more years, at least until it improves (e.g. 240hz) on the pro, which is very unlikely in the next couple of years...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
While waiting on mine to ship I looked at one in store, the bezels are fairly large. Keep in mind they actually increased 2 of the side bezels to balance the size all around. This could have been a fair bit smaller if they got rid of the bezels. Putting a Galaxy Fold with almost the same screen size next to it makes the mini 6 look gargantuan.

For all of those who have issues with small bezels (I have zero issues and have fat fingers/large hands) I really wish they made some sort of bumper add on so those of us who don't like bezels don't have to suffer with them. If you like bezels then just purchase the add on bumpers, problem resolved and you get a bit of protection out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.