Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zqbobs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
I've been in the market for a large HDD for archiving, in particular a Toshiba X300 16TB. So, I've been watching prices on Amazon (and other sites like BHPhoto) every couple of days or so. Well, yesterday I saw a big price drop on Amazon and took advantage of it. Out of curiosity, I checked the price today and it had jumped back to where it was before yesterday (see price record below from the camelcamelcamel.com website). Does anyone have an explanation for such "spikey" changes, both up and down at Amazon?

1711741284771.png

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've been in the market for a large HDD for archiving, in particular a Toshiba X300 16TB. So, I've been watching prices on Amazon (and other sites like BHPhoto) every couple of days or so. Well, yesterday I saw a big price drop on Amazon and took advantage of it. Out of curiosity, I checked the price today and it had jumped back to where it was before yesterday (see price record below from the camelcamelcamel.com website). Does anyone have an explanation for such "spikey" changes, both up and down at Amazon?

View attachment 2363590
Yes.
Different stock supplied at different prices.
From different sellers (FBA verses Amazon direct)
People trying to win the buy box.
Amazon trying to win the buy box back.
Amazon algorithm trying to grow sales
Seller on Amazon agreeing to supply a lightning deal to grow sales.
Amazon matching pricing from a different site
Amazon knowing a model is going EOL and have stock they can't return.

In other words if you are not in a rush, it always pays to watch items for a bit. I do it with trainers. They can fluctuate by over £100 for the same pair if you order at the wrong time.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've noticed that, if I look at something for a while, they'll mark it down, or give me a five payment option. If I don't buy it right then, I'll go back and it will be full price or higher for more than two months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.