Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's previous generation M1 iPad Air has dropped further in price this week on Amazon, now available at $399.00 for the 64GB Wi-Fi model, down from $599.00. These price drops follow just one week after Apple unveiled the new M2 iPad Air.

ipad-air-pink-feb.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

You can also get the 256GB Wi-Fi M1 iPad Air on sale for $599.00, down from $749.00. Both of these deals are new all-time low prices on the 2022 tablet, and right now only Amazon has the discounts.

Additionally, both cellular models are on sale right now on Amazon. The 64GB cellular model has hit $599.00, down from $749.00, while the 256GB cellular model is available for $749.00, down from $899.00. Stock on the cellular models is far more sparse compared to the Wi-Fi tablets, so be sure to order soon if you're interested.

There are numerous differences between the M1 and M2 iPad Air, mainly including display sizes and the various internal upgrades that the M2 chip introduced in the 2024 models. Our buyer's guide has a more detailed breakdown of these two iPad Air models and should help make any buying decision a bit easier.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Amazon Takes Up to $200 Off M1 iPad Air With New Record Low Prices

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
64GB is unlikely usable for most folks unless you don't save anything locally and plan to always have a connection for data saved in the cloud, meaning most will spring for the 256GB version. At only $100 more, you can get the M2 Air with 256GB storage and all the refresh improvements. The 256GB M1 should receive at least the same $200 price cut as the 64GB M1.

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
64GB is unlikely usable for most folks unless you don't save anything locally and plan to always have a connection for data saved in the cloud, meaning most will spring for the 256GB version. At only $100 more, you can get the M2 Air with 256GB storage and all the refresh improvements. The 256GB M1 should receive at least the same $200 price cut as the 64GB M1.
Face ID and ProMotion are enough to seriously consider it over an Air, at least for me, and definitely over the base iPad for the 64GB one.

Reactions: locovaca

SolarSailer120

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
Weird topic, but anyone else notice the grayscale-type coloring on these specific iPad Air generation's images provided to certain retailers like Best Buy for this model? It's like they got black and white images and never changed it. I can't imagine it's intentional since the fun colors are a selling point of the Air

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
This is the iPad to buy if want an iPad Air. The M2 really isn’t much of an upgrade. Everything else is the same unless you need PencilPro support.

Reactions: Johnny907

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Great deal, many people use this for streaming media consumption where 64GB is perfect. The M1/8GB is a major selling point and will last for years. Much better choice compared to A14/4GB iPad 10.

Jdhommert

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
Great deal but 64gb is such a struggle sometimes depending on how iCloud is feeling. I've had to wipe and reset my iPad mini twice now because it decided it wanted to use like 40-50gb to store messages and photos when I never use either on the device. Then it downloaded an update and was so full it couldn't install it. Nothing I did would offload anything to the cloud either.

I'd be happy with 64gb in theory as I plan to store nothing on an iPad....but the way things work in reality I don't think I'll ever purchase a 64gb device again

Reactions: amaze1499

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Only $100 cheaper than the latest iPad Air, or $50 if you take advantage of Apple's educational pricing.

Apple will launch Back to School promo in 3 weeks or so, which in the past has been a $100 Apple gift card toward the purchase of iPad Air and iPad Pro. You can use this gift card to snag Pencil or Keyboard.

Loyola

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2004
I was thinking about it an upgrade to my 6th gen iPad. The battery drains fast since it is old.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Weird topic, but anyone else notice the grayscale-type coloring on these specific iPad Air generation's images provided to certain retailers like Best Buy for this model? It's like they got black and white images and never changed it. I can't imagine it's intentional since the fun colors are a selling point of the Air
The Air models are always muted in color, compared to the 10th Gen versions. The online images represent real-life saturation, in my experience.

bryo

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2021
I got one just recently for $400, It think it is a great deal at that price. M1 is still incredible in a tablet, and the screen looks good, speakers are decent, and the price is justifiable as it's way better than the base iPads for only a little more. Even an older pro is still likely going to run a few hundred dollars more too, and I really don't think it's worth it if your use case is similar to mine and you just want to take notes, watch some videos, and read some books.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Great deal but 64gb is such a struggle sometimes depending on how iCloud is feeling. I've had to wipe and reset my iPad mini twice now because it decided it wanted to use like 40-50gb to store messages and photos when I never use either on the device. Then it downloaded an update and was so full it couldn't install it. Nothing I did would offload anything to the cloud either.

I'd be happy with 64gb in theory as I plan to store nothing on an iPad....but the way things work in reality I don't think I'll ever purchase a 64gb device again
Very good point. Let’s keep in mind iOS uses by default around 30gb. iCloud stores its contents locally as well. A few pictures and videos in Photos plus GarageBand Libraries installed and what do you know, 64gb become a neat marketing trick to help advertise an “affordable” price. Why would anyone want buy a 300hp car to drive around in the city centre with speed limits below 50?

CaptainBlue

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
London, United Kingdom
In the UK, the "old" iPad Air WiFi 256GB is selling on Amazon UK at £649 whilst a new iPad Air 256GB bought via my daughter's University discount so she can use it temporarily if need be is ... £649. No-brainer really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.